Kam James

Sep 9, 2012
Paul Jones posted tonight that rumor is Kam James could be playing some CF this spring. This tells me one of two things, or maybe a combination of these two.

Davis/Skinner are not getting it done at the plate.

Slate Alford is too good at 3rd base to stay out of the lineup.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I thought Kam James had started to turn the corner a bit at third last year. Hopefully this is more about filling a hole in the OF rather than Kam regressing at third. I think he’s a potential MLB level player if he can find a position.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
This is more about Kam needing a position. If he can put on tape that he plays a good Cf, that immediately improves his draft status. He only has to fake it good enough for 1 team to take a chance on him. That being said, I would be surprised if he's not our opening day third basemen.

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
I thought Kam James had started to turn the corner a bit at third last year. Hopefully this is more about filling a hole in the OF rather than Kam regressing at third. I think he’s a potential MLB level player if he can find a position.

Lemonis really likes Slate Alford. If James can play OF, that would probably really help his status in the mlb draft. He is tall and rangy, has a very good arm, is fast, and hits with power. Being in CF would utilize his speed.

This is 100% about getting more offense on the field and nothing to do with James’ performance at 3B.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Lemonis really likes Slate Alford. If James can play OF, that would probably really help his status in the mlb draft. He is tall and rangy, has a very good arm, is fast, and hits with power. Being in CF would utilize his speed.

This is 100% about getting more offense on the field and nothing to do with James’ performance at 3B.

I could see James being good in the OF

Sep 9, 2012

Alford was our best defensive 3rd baseman in the fall by a comfortable margin. If his bat is SEC ready, Alford is going to be hard to keep off the field.

We also want Hunter Hines in the lineup, and that isn’t going to happen if James is DHing. Plus James needs to show he can play somewhere defensively. With Davis and Skinner struggling at the plate, that opens up an opportunity for James in CF.

That said we will se what happens. Not convinced that comes to fruition but it is an intriguing idea if James could handle it- which would be very difficult l.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
This is more about us not having a single weakness in the lineup at the plate than anything else. Someone, I think it was Steve, alluded to it in a podcast in the last couple weeks

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Clark, James, and Cumbest would be a very large outfield.

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
Another "Jody Hurst"??

NM
Paul Jones posted tonight that rumor is Kam James could be playing some CF this spring. This tells me one of two things, or maybe a combination of these two.

Davis/Skinner are not getting it done at the plate.

Slate Alford is too good at 3rd base to stay out of the lineup.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
CF is not where I would want to put a "newbie" outfielder. I would rather have Skinner's range out there and bat him 9th and rotate the rest of my bats, than have balls dropping in the gaps that are usually outs.

Talldawg21

Apr 14, 2014
Road games, start Von Seibert in CF or another good hitter on the bench and bat them top 3 in lineup. They hit then you put Davis in CF until he comes to bat, if it’s a situation where he can bunt and use his speed do it if not pitch hit again then put Skinner in CF. Then you could do McGowan. Sucks you don’t have Skinner for a late runner but surely we have another guy with speed on the bench.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
CF is not where I would want to put a "newbie" outfielder. I would rather have Skinner's range out there and bat him 9th and rotate the rest of my bats, than have balls dropping in the gaps that are usually outs.

I thought coming out of high school that Cumbest was thought to be athletic enough to place CF? Am I misremembering that or did he end up not being as fast as people thought?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login