Kamala could be one of the best ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The Ugandan Headhunter. I'll go out on a limb and say you couldn't get away with that character and those story lines today. We had some interesting, crazy, inappropriate stuff for entertainment not long ago.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I
The Ugandan Headhunter. I'll go out on a limb and say you couldn't get away with that character and those story lines today. We had some interesting, crazy, inappropriate stuff for entertainment not long ago.

I kinda agree with Chapelle in that Cancel Culture is hurting the entertainment industry. Why can't we have shows like All in the Family & Jeffersons anymore? I think Kamala & Afro Man would make a good Tag Team or they could do s music video together.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Pretty sad ending to his life. Diabetes kicked his butt. Had a some amputations. My mom knew someone that was his caretaker. I believe in the Oxford area.
I know at one point he was living somewhere around Senatobia. They would see him at the grocery store. He was in pretty bad shape by then.

Reactions: aTotal360

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I

I kinda agree with Chapelle in that Cancel Culture is hurting the entertainment industry. Why can't we have shows like All in the Family & Jeffersons anymore? I think Kamala & Afro Man would make a good Tag Team or they could do s music video together.
Chapelle's show was awesome. Some truly amazing skits. And I think we're starting to see some of that coming back after the little moral scolds had their run before Elon bought Twitter.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I

In some respects, you do. I think that what constitutes social progressivism today is just different than what it was in the 70's.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

When I was in school (pre Kamala) we watched wrestling every week on TV. The undisputed regional fan favorite that took on all the bad guys wrestled under the name "Burrhead Jones" . He was a good man who lived a long and full life.
1721665045545.png

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
In some respects, you do. I think that what constitutes social progressivism today is just different than what it was in the 70's.
All in the Family made fun of Bunker; it didn't make him look like some normal good guy. Shows like The Jeffersons made us ALL laugh and brought us together as opposed to today's divisive "progressivism" that is ladened with angry vitriol pretending we're still in the 1950's.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
All in the Family made fun of Bunker; it didn't make him look like some normal good guy. Shows like The Jeffersons made us ALL laugh and brought us together as opposed to today's divisive "progressivism" that is ladened with angry vitriol pretending we're still in the 1950's.
The problem was there were plenty of folks that didn't get Norman Lear's joke, they felt Archie was articulating their politics and feelings on television. They found it very empowering.

O'Connor, the actor, was disturbed by it, but maintained while he didn't agree with their views he had a lot of empathy for people like Archie Bunker. Which is probably why he was so damn good at the part.

One of the greatest television characters ever and, no, they couldn't do the show now in our current culture.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

I liked George steele...until they did that weird thing with him being the protector of miss Elizabeth

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Today’s social progressivism is solely about division. It demands us to look inward & outward to see what makes us different and segregate ourselves based on sex, race, politics, etc. It’s literally turning back the clock to pre-MLK.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My perception is that it is just poorer quality writing. All in The Family, you mostly had the writers portray Archie in a way that made it clear that he was foolish when it came to racism and xenophobia. About as close as you got the writers telling you what to think was Mike and Archie going at it and the ensuing dialog.

Today, it seems that the messaging is a lot more overt. I watch a lot more English series these days because either: 1) the writing is better and doesn't make me feel like I'm constantly being socially engineered OR 2) I'm not in touch with European social issues enough to pick up on being socially engineered. Either way, it feels better...

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Is Ron Swanson the modern day version of Archie Bunker? Discuss

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
If the bacon thread wasn’t safe, no thread is safe
that s what im sayin.... it s a nice little comical thread about a wrestler who was from around here, then someone brings up cancel culture. well if you post it they will come. then it turns into something political. then vhdawg and thatsbaseball try to reel it back in to it s original intent, only to be brought back into a discussion about being socially engineered ... i have to run some errands but when i get back i fully expect to see the thread on Kamala the Ugandan Warrior locked...

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Chapelle's show was awesome. Some truly amazing skits. And I think we're starting to see some of that coming back after the little moral scolds had their run before Elon bought Twitter.
BTW, Chapelle's two skits on reparations are funny as hell. But while watching it I also thought "that's what my white redneck cousins would do with that money too."

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
yall gonna get a thread about a wrestling character locked... what the f---ing hell....
Pro wrestling had better writers than those on SNL. They created some funny as hell characters and plot lines.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
^^^This needs to be quoted in one of those boxes on X because it's the damn truth!
Racism has declined but race relations are worse. White progressives have a lot to answer for as they (falsely) position themselves as the saviors of the marginalized in America

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Well here we are with another locked thread. Congrats. Oh if you go and look the majority of the time it’s the same posters that get these locked by getting off topic with their razor sharp political opinions. Take a hint….well not really a hint….no one cares about cancel culture in a thread about a wrestler. Save it for your Facebook commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login