KC Hunt did not sign

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Expecting him back at MSU next year, potentially very good news for our staff. I know his ERA was pretty bad but he showed flashes of being really good at times.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Expecting him back at MSU next year, potentially very good news for our staff. I know his ERA was pretty bad but he showed flashes of being really good at times.

He was never healthy after the first series. Perhaps even during that series or before.

Was the initial winner of one of two weekend starter roles that we had open last fall. Its certainly a big deal that he’s returning if he is in fact 100%.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He's back. Good news for us if he gets healthy.

Edit: Well damn. I see your post was about Brandon Smith and not KC Hunt. So never mind.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
He. Did. Not. Go.

Def a player I'll enjoy seeing develop. He's got it.

Misfit

Oct 21, 2018
The coaching staff and every player on the team who was asked said Hunt was the best pitcher on the team last fall. This is good news if he can get healthy and stay that way.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
The coaching staff and every player on the team who was asked said Hunt was the best pitcher on the team last fall. This is good news if he can get healthy and stay that way.

After losing Skenes it was almost an absolute must to get Hunt back. Even with him back I'm not sure if it gets us out of the bottom half of the league in pitching but we will see. I think we will have enough offense next year to be at least a Top 5-6 SEC team. But still not sure if our pitching can keep us up there even with the transfers we got. We just have a bunch of pretty good dudes on the staff. There is nobody going into the season that we have that you could really categorize as a shutdown guy at all. Certainly no Ethan Small or Landon Sims types.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Cade has Friday stuff thru 4 IP. He starts to labor around 60 pitches and loses the zone a little. And I’m sure second time through is a factor. But the guy can be really good. I really like what we have done with the staff. Really wish we had gotten Skenes but Im not sold he is a Friday guy. Certainly a weekend guy but the real value was that he could DH too.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
He's back. Good news for us if he gets healthy.

Edit: Well damn. I see your post was about Brandon Smith and not KC Hunt. So never mind.

Well, Brandon not staying certainly won't make or break us next year but he was at least a guy who was experienced pitching in the SEC.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Cade has Friday stuff thru 4 IP. He starts to labor around 60 pitches and loses the zone a little. And I’m sure second time through is a factor. But the guy can be really good. I really like what we have done with the staff. Really wish we had gotten Skenes but Im not sold he is a Friday guy. Certainly a weekend guy but the real value was that he could DH too.

Yea, I would probably rank Cade as the most proven starting pitcher we have next season. But realistically you would prefer him to be a Saturday or Sunday guy but instead he will likely end up being our Friday night guy.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yea, I would probably rank Cade as the most proven starting pitcher we have next season. But realistically you would prefer him to be a Saturday or Sunday guy but instead he will likely end up being our Friday night guy.
You have some pretty high expectations. Cade's stat line is pretty good and what is typically expected of a 3rd year guy who is about to step up into that role. We could do a lot worse.

Most teams do not have a preseason bonafide MLB caliber ace every single year. You have someone usually step into that role and prove themselves in that particular year.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yeah. Every year we have an ideal rotation and it rarely works out that way. I do think Gartman is a steal. On paper he is better than Skenes.

The West will throw some Strong arms on Fridays next year with Elliott, Detmer, Gonzolez, Hahan Smith. LSU could be strong with Hurd or maybe Skenes. Florida, TN and Vandy also stout on Fridays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You have some pretty high expectations. Cade's stat line is pretty good and what is typically expected of a 3rd year guy who is about to step up into that role. We could do a lot worse.

Most teams do not have a preseason bonafide MLB caliber ace every single year. You have someone usually step into that role and prove themselves in that particular year.

I still think the prime candidate for that bona fide ace is Kohn. Just like Pilkington, Small, Sexton, and others before him, he needs to make that Freshmen to Sophomore leap. He has the pedigree and the talent. Saw plenty of innings last year so experience won’t be an issue, and was very respectable.

Could also see us have co-aces with him and Smith, kind of like we did in 2016 with Hudson / Sexton or 2018 with Pilkington and Small. I don’t know that either will be quite as good as all those other guys, but the potential is there for both to be really solid.

Gartman will figure in somewhere….maybe as the Sunday guy if both Cade and Pico take a step forward. That’s the best case scenario. But he’s not a guy that has Fri night stuff.

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Dohm is the one to potentially get giddy over. Had a good k/walk ratio this summer and hit 99mph. Scary if he can put it together. And he'll only be a sophmore.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Dohm is the one to potentially get giddy over. Had a good k/walk ratio this summer and hit 99mph. Scary if he can put it together. And he'll only be a sophmore.

Dohm could be the closer. Might be the best role for him to be max-effort with that velocity if he has control issues worked out.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Cade certainly has the ability to be a very solid SEC starter even on a Friday night but as 8dog said he definitely needs to be able to go longer without his pitching quality dropping off so significantly. I think the main reason we didn't use Cade on any Fridays this past season is that you knew Cade was normally only good for 4 or 5 innings when he started and you don't really want to use up bullpen arms on Friday night if you can avoid it. But hopefully with age and conditioning he will have more stamina.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login