Kentucky 247 site saying Stoops to A&M

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Good grief. $80 mill with 2 weeks in the regular season left to hire Mark Stoops. I expect no less than Bjork though.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Good grief. $80 mill with 2 weeks in the regular season left to hire Mark Stoops. I expect no less than Bjork though.
Why won’t he succeed there?

They always 17ed it up before by hiring some hot flavor of the week who owed all their peak success to an elite QB. Jimbo did it with Winston, Sumlin had Case Keenum. They’ve never had anyone come in and build anything, and never had anyone who has proven they can get results above the talent level of the players.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Why won’t he succeed there?

They always 17ed it up before by hiring some hot flavor of the week who owed all their peak success to an elite QB. Jimbo did it with Winston, Sumlin had Case Keenum. They’ve never had anyone come in and build anything, and never had anyone who has proven they can get results above the talent level of the players.
He very well may but damn I’d rather have Jeff Lebby. Stoops has struggled to put together offenses. He has been a defense/ball control guy. I’m not sure that’s what a school with no financial limitations should be going after in 2023 after paying 76 mill.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He very well may but damn I’d rather have Jeff Lebby. Stoops has struggled to put together offenses. He has been a defense/ball control guy. I’m not sure that’s what a school with no financial limitations should be going after in 2023 after paying 76 mill.
Maybe the school with no financial limitations can buy him whatever OC he wants? Its not like he ever had that ability at Kentucky.

Personally, I think this deal has been done for weeks….since the Jimbo announcement.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Maybe the school with no financial limitations can buy him whatever OC he wants? Its not like he ever had that ability at Kentucky.

Personally, I think this deal has been done for weeks….since the Jimbo announcement.

They are paying Liam Cohen $1.7 mill.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Like I said in another thread. Should’ve just kept Jimbo if this is the best they can do.
I think Stoops is better than Jimbo. How much better? Not really sure, but Stoops is more of a disciplinarian. He'll improve their defense significantly.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
A lot of good coaches could win at a and m, just a testament to how bad Jimbo was. Saban or smart wouldn’t win much of anything at Kentucky.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They are paying Liam Cohen $1.7 mill.
Well, that’s unfortunate for them, because that dude is a nobody. But that’s still chump change compared to what Bama, UGA, A&M, etc. can pay for a top coordinator.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Well, that’s unfortunate for them, because that dude is a nobody. But that’s still chump change compared to what Bama, UGA, A&M, etc. can pay for a top coordinator.
I’m pretty sure KY would give him plenty more to
Hire someone. Stoops Himself is one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in America. But defensive guys are generally cut from the same cloth. Moving the ball just isn’t a huge priority for them.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Coen was the LA Rams offensive coordinator in 2022, Stoops will probably keep him and give him a raise. I’d imagine they spend dollar on a DC. I think he Will be very successful down there.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Stoops with talent could be dangerous. It might be exactly the kind of hire they need.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

Stoops is making $9MM/yr at UK. His offensive and defensive coordinators average $1.7MM on multi-year deals. His recruiting coordinator averages $1.2MM. That seems competitive to me.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I like that it makes both Texas 8-4 and Kentucky more beatable teams for us.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’m pretty sure KY would give him plenty more to
Hire someone. Stoops Himself is one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in America. But defensive guys are generally cut from the same cloth. Moving the ball just isn’t a huge priority for them.
It seems from further review that Kentucky’s not really a terrible offensive team from an efficiency standpoint. They are 41st nationally in yards per play. But, way down at 93rd nationally in yards per game. Scoring offense is at 52nd, which is about as good as it ever gets at have-nots in the SEC like UK and MSU. So it seems to be more that they have a really slow pace of play more so than a schematic issue or execution issue.

Increase the talent level substantially, and both of those numbers will increase quite a bit.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login