Kentucky preview

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Probably the only thing you need to know about the Kentucky game is that is at Kentucky. We all know what's coming - it will be 8 on 5 throughout the night. Somehow we have to deal with that if we want to have a chance in this game.

If you haven't seen Kentucky this year, they look much different than they have in the last couple of years. They play faster (top 20 tempo in the sport), are a very strong shooting team from both two point range (55%, 27th nationally) and three point range (almost 40%, top 10), and are top 5 in the country in scoring at about 91 ppg. For reference, last year with Tshiebwe in the middle and not enough good shooters, they were 258 in tempo, shot <35% from three, and averaged about 75 ppg. You can expect them to push, push, push all night, even moreso than Bama. They don't get to the line a lot but are pretty effective when they do.

But the defense...oh the defense. It hasn't been great, giving up 76 ppg (283rd nationally). That's unusual for a Coach Cal team. Love him or hate him, he generally gets his teams to defend. To be sitting at 76 ppg allowed has to be driving him a little crazy, but the metrics still have them as a top 50-80 defense per KenPom and Torvik.

They might also be a little vulnerable on the glass. While they are 63rd in total rebounds per game which is solid, they get there by being 217th in offensive rebounding and 25th in defensive. That offensive number is startling. They were literally #1 in the country in offensive rebounding last year thanks to Oscar. I guess you get so used to seeing that be "their thing" that when it's not a strength it takes some getting used to. So maybe there's a chance for us to make a difference in the game that way. Yes, I know we got worked over in Columbia on the boards (-9 margin), but the last two games have been better. We were even with UT and grabbed one more rebound than Bama did taking us to -8 in three SEC games. Kentucky has been outrebounded in two of their three SEC games, with the only positive margin game against Missouri who is one of the worst rebounding teams in America. Seems to me like Jans has a decision to make. Crash the offensive glass with four bodies and risk being caught with your pants down in transition or play it safe and focus more on the transition defense. (Option 3: Make a bunch of shots.)

The roster, as usual, is filled with a bunch of 4 and 5 stars. He can go 10 deep if he wants to but one the pieces has been hurt and not playing, Adou Thiero. Doesn't sound like he's going to play tomorrow so now that I've typed that put him down for a double-double. The main culprits are Antonio Reeves, Rob Dillingham, Tre Mitchell, DJ Wagner and Reed Shepphard - all of them are double digit scorers. The announcers LOOOOOOOOOOOVE Reed Sheppard and his parents. It's Kramer Robertson-esque. Anyway, they've got speed, length, athleticism....basically what you would expect from the level at which they recruit.

Going to Rupp is never easy. If Kentucky makes a bunch of shots, they'll beat us. We just don't have the players and the confidence to keep up with them in that kind of game. Our best bet is to REALLY guard the threes, slow the tempo, and pray that we make enough shots to win. We will have to hold them in the low 70s to have our best chance. If they hit 40 by halftime, it's over. We're almost certainly going to walk out of there at 1-3, but that's always been our most likely outcome for these four games. In that respect, we are playing with house money. So maybe they can play loose and pull off something memorable.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I'm sure they'll all have their nails filed sharp as always for the normal Rupp homecooking. It's one of 2 sec arenas I haven't been to for a game. Don't know that I'll ever have much interest, unless I'm there for something not involving state.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’m not saying we win, but I do think we might have a better chance than many of our fans are giving us credit for IF we can get a more efficient game from Tolu and Hubbard.

They’re very good but this isn’t an invincible UK team. They got beat at home by UNC Wilmington already.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I'm sure they'll all have their nails filed sharp as always for the normal Rupp homecooking. It's one of 2 sec arenas I haven't been to for a game. Don't know that I'll ever have much interest, unless I'm there for something not involving state.
I've been there a few times but haven't been able to time it up with one of our wins, unless you count the Elite 8 win over Cincinnati in 1996. Rupp is fine. It's nothing special beyond just being huge. If you are sitting at 12 of the 14, you need to go just to say you've been. I'm in a similar situation with Arkansas. Been to 11 of the 14 but missing A&M, Missouri and Arkansas. Arkansas is the clear outlier in that bunch.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
If we can stay out of foul trouble, we will have a good chance. Cam having to sit against Bama due to fouls played a major factor.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Playing Ky. In basketball = playing Alabama in football. Most of the time the outcome is predetermined.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
If we can stay out of foul trouble, we will have a good chance. Cam having to sit against Bama due to fouls played a major factor.
I wouldn't mind a little foul trouble amongst the starters if it means more minutes from Fort. We are desperate for some offense and he seems like the most likely person to provide it. I like a lineup with Hubbard, Fort and either Shak or Davis along with Tolu and either Cam or DJ.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
I wouldn't mind a little foul trouble amongst the starters if it means more minutes from Fort. We are desperate for some offense and he seems like the most likely person to provide it. I like a lineup with Hubbard, Fort and either Shak or Davis along with Tolu and either Cam or DJ.
I agree. I’d like to see Fort get some of Davis and SJ jr’s minutes.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Had this discussion on a text group earlier today.

Cam didn't HAVE to sit in the first half with two fouls. Jans CHOSE to sit him for the last 13:10. He played five minutes in the first half. While he was in the game, Bama scored 8 points. But we sat him down with 13:10 to go in the first half and then he didn't get his third foul until the 6 minute mark of the second half. Was it worth it? FYI for his career, Cam commits a foul about every 8.5 minutes.

Same story with Hubbard. He played five and half early minutes in the first half. Scores five points, grabs a rebound, picks up a steal. But he gets two fouls during that time and goes to the bench for the last 11:26 of the half. Our guards scored eight points the rest of the half, two threes from Fort and the closing basket from Shak. Then he sits his typical three minutes to start the second half, comes in and then plays 16 of the last 17 minutes. He never fouled again. So what were we protecting him from in the first half?

Fact is that Jans CHOSE to sit our best defender and our best perimeter threat for the last 11:26 of the first half. So we played more than a quarter of the game without either of them on the floor. That's lunacy in my opinion. But that's who Jans is. In his last year at NMSU, he was in the top 10 coaches in the country for not playing guys who had two first half fouls. He just simply plants them on the bench and doesn't think about them.

There's some lively discussion on this topic over the years. I'll just say this - a lot of you know that I have been a Duke fan since before Coach K was there. And regardless of whether you love Coach K or hate him, the man could coach. He routinely played guys with two fouls and somehow lived to tell about it. Trust me when I say that it wasn't because he could just go get another five star off the bench. He had some notorioulsy thin teams across his career. He just believed in playing his best players and trusting them to play well and play aggressively and to do it without fouling. I wish Jans would adapt his philosophy to match that.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Had this discussion on a text group earlier today.

Cam didn't HAVE to sit in the first half with two fouls. Jans CHOSE to sit him for the last 13:10. He played five minutes in the first half. While he was in the game, Bama scored 8 points. But we sat him down with 13:10 to go in the first half and then he didn't get his third foul until the 6 minute mark of the second half. Was it worth it? FYI for his career, Cam commits a foul about every 8.5 minutes.

Same story with Hubbard. He played five and half early minutes in the first half. Scores five points, grabs a rebound, picks up a steal. But he gets two fouls during that time and goes to the bench for the last 11:26 of the half. Our guards scored eight points the rest of the half, two threes from Fort and the closing basket from Shak. Then he sits his typical three minutes to start the second half, comes in and then plays 16 of the last 17 minutes. He never fouled again. So what were we protecting him from in the first half?

Fact is that Jans CHOSE to sit our best defender and our best perimeter threat for the last 11:26 of the first half. So we played more than a quarter of the game without either of them on the floor. That's lunacy in my opinion. But that's who Jans is. In his last year at NMSU, he was in the top 10 coaches in the country for not playing guys who had two first half fouls. He just simply plants them on the bench and doesn't think about them.

There's some lively discussion on this topic over the years. I'll just say this - a lot of you know that I have been a Duke fan since before Coach K was there. And regardless of whether you love Coach K or hate him, the man could coach. He routinely played guys with two fouls and somehow lived to tell about it. Trust me when I say that it wasn't because he could just go get another five star off the bench. He had some notorioulsy thin teams across his career. He just believed in playing his best players and trusting them to play well and play aggressively and to do it without fouling. I wish Jans would adapt his philosophy to match that.
You can put me firmly in the camp that argues against benching players with two fouls in the first half. Especially when it pertains to Tolu, Cam, and Hubbard; the drop off is too significant when they are out. They have to get their minutes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login