Kentucky seems to be doing good this year in Baseball

thedog

Mar 3, 2008
rain on your parade, but they also have one of the ten weakest schedules in the NCAA to date. But we do too and look at our record.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
But they're beating people that are weak like they should be beaten. No 10-9 slugfests against Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

rjsiwelhj

Feb 29, 2008
schedule. However, since we play in the SEC, It's a crime to struggle with a weak schedule.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I'll hold off on Kentucky. I believe they ran through their OOC schedule last year before faltering in SEC play. They didn't even make the NCAAs last year if I remember correctly, after starting out something like 19-0 against a weak schedule.

I do think Cohen is doing a good job there though, so I won't be shocked if they are in the conference title hunt.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
but we're also expected to be good this year by most experts. Last year, UK wasn't expected to be great, and they weren't. They just got people thinking highly of them by running through a somewhat weak OOC schedule. They came back to earth during conference play, much like our basketball team did this year.

This year, UK isn't expected to be one of the top teams in the SEC, but they look to be playing good ball. We'll find out if it's real when they get into SEC play is all I'm saying.

And the same can be said for us, though we have at least played one team so far that was in last year's NCAA tourney.

I've always said it's pretty pointless to spend too much effort talking about who has the best baseball team until at least 4 or 5 weeks into conference play, because it's tough to get a gauge on where you stand until you get into the meat of conference play. I like my team's chances, but I'm still going to hold off on crowning us unless we start dominating conference play.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________They didn't even make the NCAAs last year if I remember correctly, after starting out something like 19-0 against a weak schedule._________________________________________________
Wait a minute. Are we talking about UK's baseball team or UM's basketball team here?

G

Goat Holder

the things Bruiser criticized UK about are the same things he uses as excuses for UM.

DUKEDOGG

Nov 12, 2007
Notes

Kentucky wins its first SEC championship in school history. Before this season, the Wildcats were the only team in the conference not to have a league crown.

Kentucky clinched an outright SEC East crown, its second in history and first in 30 years.

UK coach John Cohen becomes third person in SEC history to win a conference championship as a player (Miss. State, 1989) and a coach (Kentucky, 2006). Jim Whatley (Alabama player - 1933, 34; Georgia coach - 1953, 54) and Jake Gibbs (Ole Miss player - 1959; Ole Miss coach - 1972, 77) are the others.

Kentucky is the first team in SEC history to complete a worst-to-first turnaround after going from 7-22 in the league last year to 20-9 this year. It is the first 20-win conference season for UK.

Kentucky broke the school record with its 42nd win of the season. The previous best was 41 in 1991. It is only the third 40-win season in UK history.

Kentucky has tied Alabama (1994-95) for the biggest turnaround in SEC history in terms of games (12.5). The Wildcats 13-win improvement is the second largest behind that same Alabama group (14).

Kentucky has won 17 of their last 19 games overall The Wildcats have won 13 of their last 15 in the SEC, including nine of the last 10.

Kentucky has homered in 11 straight games and 23 of their last 25.

Kentucky has four players with 15 home run (Ryan Strieby, John Shelby, Sean Coughlin, Collin Cowgill) for the first time in school history.

Craig Snipp set a career high with 11 strikeouts and threw his third-career complete game, all coming this year. Snipp won his seventh game of the year, which is one more win than he had in his career entering the season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post-Game Quotes

Head coach John Cohen

On winning a championship ...
"To come into the situation we came into three years ago and to think where we were and where we are now, it's a little overwhelming. These players that have been at Kentucky for the past few years have been at the very bottom and scratched their way to the top of the best league in America. It's been something amazing to watch and I'm proud to have been a part of it."

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sorry. He just lobbed it up there and I couldn't resist. It was a bit of a cheap shot.

olemissbydamn

May 24, 2006
Minnesota has played in the Big 10 tournament championship for the 7th straight year. They made the NCAA's last year for the 7th time in 10 years. They were 41-18 last season. They went 2-1 this weekend in their tournament. They beat #18 Tulane & #29 Pepperdine last week. Their only loss was to TCU in extra innings. They must not be a bad squad.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
And if you'll notice, I actually compared it to our basketball team in my second post. It was basically the same thing. UK got inflated hype about their baseball team last year from beating up on their OOC foes, and then they got beat up pretty good during conference play, not even making the NCAA tourney. Same thing is in the process of happening with our basketball team this year.

And hence why I said I wouldn't get too excited or too down about any baseball team after only 2 weeks.

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
I heard him speak last summer at the MSHSAA coaches clinic in Jackson and he was very impressive. He talked soley on hitting and finding a players best swing, and then another hour on winning the big inning (scoring 3+ runs). I bought his dvd instructional video on 40 hitting drills to better your swing and it has paid off for our squad so far. Bianco was really good as well as Shoop.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I don't know how this year's team is, but the UK team that one the SEC in 2006 had a left-handed heavy line up. I believe they porch in right is 310 and the power alley in right center at UK is 345. The left field side is more conventional, so in effect Cohen built his team around his stadium. And it paid off for him, as they were really tough to beat in Lexington.

G

Goat Holder

which is the main problem. Polk is just old and bitter. I like Polk's coaching strategy we just need someone with more energy and enthusiasm.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I reserve the right to be down on our baseball team after two weeks because I was down on them before the season ever started. The first two weeks is just confirmation of what I had already thought. I really don't think the entire season is going to be as bad as the first two weeks looked though. But it'll take an even bigger miracle than last year for us to make a super regional.

olemissbydamn

May 24, 2006
Maybe being down on them will work.

Last year 6pack started out hating Polk....went to Omaha.

2 seasons ago, yall started out like 15-0, #1 in the nation....yet missed the SEC tourney.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've been hating on Polk ever since he lost the 2003 regional by wasting Paul Maholm against the #4 seed. So far, we're 1 for 5 on getting to a super regional or Omaha since then. The last MSU baseball game I've seen in person was the Missouri game in the 2003 regional (I had to miss the Friday Clemson game due to work and wimped out on going to the Saturday game since they said they weren't selling any more tickets to it).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login