KeShawn Murphy

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
As he should be. He’s our big time scoring threat for next year along with Hubbard. He has mad offensive skills. Needs to be out there.
Well he must not be paying the piper to be able to get out there. I can’t imagine Jans sitting him for no good reason if he’s one of our top scorers.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Well he must not be paying the piper to be able to get out there. I can’t imagine Jans sitting him for no good reason if he’s one of our top scorers.
He's not one of our top scorers and I am sure Jans has his reasons. To start with, he's started off behind. Remember he was injured and didn't practice or play until a few weeks after things kicked off and missed the first five games. He's really done very little outside of the UNT game in Tupelo where he looked great. He played 23 minutes in that game and then only 26 in the next three combined. He's had a couple of defensive lapses which I am sure doesn't endear him to Jans. But he would have to be in the discussion if you wanted our best offensive lineup on the floor. Hubbard, Shak, Fort, Murphy and Tolu? We won't ever do that because Jans is unlikely to put both Cam and DJ on the bench at the same time because DEFENSE. Maybe he woudl if they both got two first half fouls and he mindlessly sat them for the rest of the half like it's a rule.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He's not one of our top scorers and I am sure Jans has his reasons. To start with, he's started off behind. Remember he was injured and didn't practice or play until a few weeks after things kicked off and missed the first five games. He's really done very little outside of the UNT game in Tupelo where he looked great. He played 23 minutes in that game and then only 26 in the next three combined. He's had a couple of defensive lapses which I am sure doesn't endear him to Jans. But he would have to be in the discussion if you wanted our best offensive lineup on the floor. Hubbard, Shak, Fort, Murphy and Tolu? We won't ever do that because Jans is unlikely to put both Cam and DJ on the bench at the same time because DEFENSE. Maybe he woudl if they both got two first half fouls and he mindlessly sat them for the rest of the half like it's a rule.
I would bet almost anything it's defense. Which I'm ok with. When you play a player not fully committed to defense because they're good on offense, it may make you better in the short term, but you lose something once it's known that you don't have to be committed to defense to play. And defense is just so much better when everybody on the court is committed.

That said, I wish there were a way to keep Murphy happy. He and Hubbard seem like they would be a solid start going forward.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I want Murphy to succeed, but when he launches up a 3, I react with fear almost as much as when Jeffries launches a couple each game.
And Murphy has good vision on offense and can thread the needle with passes , but I think that actually leads to turnovers against better teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
He’s a power forward with some offensive skill. And since we really don’t utilize the PF position he’s playing behind Cam, DJ and Jones. That leaves scrub minutes at the 5 behind now Tolu and Bell. Everybody knew the bench was shrinking as soon as Tolu entered the starting lineup and now that Jones is getting significant minutes there just aren’t enough to go around for a 10th player.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
He sure could have made the difference in the Bama game, especially second half when Tolu was in foul trouble and neither he nor Bell could get a shot off underneath. Instead, we had to give Scott those minutes.

Hope he returns soon, and that he plays satisfactory D, or whatever it is that gets him playing time. We need him.

Reactions: trob115

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
He sure could have made the difference in the Bama game, especially second half when Tolu was in foul trouble and neither he nor Bell could get a shot off underneath. Instead, we had to give Scott those minutes.

Hope he returns soon, and that he plays satisfactory D, or whatever it is that gets him playing time. We need him.
We missed him tremendously versus Bama and Kentucky. We can win without him against the bottom half of the league.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login