Kevin Nash mentioned playing against Mississippi State on his podcast

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
For non wrestling fans: Kevin Nash was a professional wrestler that was at his most popular in the mid to late 90's as 'Big Daddy Cool' Diesel in WWF and then as one of the founders of the NWO along with Scott Hall and Hulk Hogan in WCW.

Before Nash wrestled, he played center for the Vols from 1977-1980. He mentioned on his latest episode of 'Kliq This' about playing in Starkville against Mississippi State and how it was the only time he really ever hung out with members of the opposing team. He talked about going to a place called the Crossroads that was outside the town to get beer and smoking dope with Rickey Brown at the Holiday Inn next to the Waffle House. He said it was the first time it felt like being a pro just hanging out with the people you just played against.

Anyway, it was quick, but I thought it was a neat story.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Interested Kevin Nash GIF

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Crossroads and Lenlew's, and were out at the 45/82 intersection before the new 4 lanes were built. Couldn't buy beer in Starkville at that time. They weren't far from John's Grocery which was about the closest place to buy cold beer back then. Damn, I'm old...

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
For non wrestling fans: Kevin Nash was a professional wrestler that was at his most popular in the mid to late 90's as 'Big Daddy Cool' Diesel in WWF and then as one of the founders of the NWO along with Scott Hall and Hulk Hogan in WCW.

Before Nash wrestled, he played center for the Vols from 1977-1980. He mentioned on his latest episode of 'Kliq This' about playing in Starkville against Mississippi State and how it was the only time he really ever hung out with members of the opposing team. He talked about going to a place called the Crossroads that was outside the town to get beer and smoking dope with Rickey Brown at the Holiday Inn next to the Waffle House. He said it was the first time it felt like being a pro just hanging out with the people you just played against.

Crossroads early then, Mac Banks Supper Club,

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Crossroads and Lenlew's, and were out at the 45/82 intersection before the new 4 lanes were built. Couldn't buy beer in Starkville at that time. They weren't far from John's Grocery which was about the closest place to buy cold beer back then. Damn, I'm old...
Coldest beer I’ve ever bought

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

They must have been hammered because I was in school @ MSU during that time and there wasn't a Waffle House next to Holiday Inn then. Holiday Inn was that present day piece of crap hotel across from The Lodge and next to present day CVS. The original Harvey's restaurant was in the lobby of Holiday Inn but no Waffle House that I remember back then.

Bourbon Dog

Sep 28, 2022
I had a girl talk me into putting a neon beer light under a big coat and walking out of the Crossroads with it in 1985. It was a Bud Light fueled risk that was definitely worth taking. I really don't remember what happened to the neon light.

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Nash was my favorite when I followed wrestling for a minute in the 90's. He would finish with the Jackknife Powerbomb and get arrested after the match.

Whenever people mention State in an interview, I think of when Tim Couch was on Letterman after getting selected first in the draft and telling about being pummeled by the Mississippi State defense. I can't find the video of his interview, but I do have the video of him getting taken to another dimension by Eric Brown.

Reactions: Dawgg

old joe dawg

Oct 3, 2022
CROSSROADS WAS THE PLACE THAT WAS CLOSE BY.....AND THERE WAS A CAFE SOMEWHERE THAT WAS VERY POPULAR IN THE LATE 50S....THOMPSONS I THINK WAS THE NAME...ANYWAY GOOD EATS. THEN THERE WAS THE 'WOODPILE' NORTH OF CROSSROADS ON 45 BACK IN THE DAY.

BTW, BEEN A MEMBER FOR SEVERAL YEARS HERE, BUT COULD NEVER GET THE LOGIN TO WORK WITH MY EXISTING EMAIL SO HAD TO REGISTER AS IF A NEW MEMBER...BUMMER....
CLASS OF '62

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
They must have been hammered because I was in school @ MSU during that time and there wasn't a Waffle House next to Holiday Inn then. Holiday Inn was that present day piece of crap hotel across from The Lodge and next to present day CVS. The original Harvey's restaurant was in the lobby of Holiday Inn but no Waffle House that I remember back then.
I wonder if they were actually in Columbus? I know many of the visiting teams stayed at the Holiday Inn in Columbus when I was at State - and the Waffle House was close by.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

The Waffle House was on the south side of Hwy 12 by Shep's Cleaners. Original Harvey's was in the Ramada Inn behind the log cabin Burger King

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
And I thought I had it rough because there wasn’t a Taco Bell in town when I was there. ****

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Wrong. Original Harvey ‘s is as in the Ramada Inn. And Rickey Brown stayed high every day he was in school.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login