Kick off Rules change and Targeting.

I4CtheFuture

Oct 5, 2024
While I'm harping on the 'injury' rules change, I want the Kick off rules changed too. All these kids everywhere pretty much kick the ball out of the endzone, thus taking away the kick off return possibilities. I understand wanting to lower the % of returns and thus lowering the % of injuries.....I get it. But it's gone too far in the wrong direction. Either adjust it so the % of kick returns goes up, OR, just get rid of kick offs altogether and just spot the ball at the 25 after each score. It's gotten to that point now, IMHO.

At this point, do one or the other, I really don't care, but the rule as is - sucks.

RE: Targeting..... thankfully, CFB has really, REALLY softened up on those calls over the past 2 seasons and I, for one, am thankful for that. Those too, were getting absolutely ridiculous. Although to be fair to the "intent" of the rule.....during the Cal - Miami game, very very late in the game a Miami player absolutely obliterated one of Cals players......it looked like targeting but NO FLAG WAS THROWN - However, the replay booth stopped the game to "review" it anyway.....(apparently that's ok now and I wasn't aware of that change. I thought if no flag, no review, I was wrong) ....Anyway, It was a CRITICAL call one way or the other at a critical point in the game.

I've seen many a "real" targeting penalties and by every replay of that play I'm talking about, and by every definition of the rule book it *WAS* targeting....... the booth disagreed and said "No targeting. All good." I was stunned. The announcer was stunned. It just makes no sense. Lol. But I'm glad they're getting away from that ticky tac crap penalty.... but yeah, if no flag is thrown on the field, the booth SHOULD NOT be able to stop the game. That's BS.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Here's a thought. Do away with all these fair catches in the field of play being brought out to the 25. That's pansy ball. Return to kicking off from the 40 to reduce runbacks. But if the kicker misses it a little, let the ball be returned if the receiving team wants to chance it. Touchbacks come out to the 20, returns are permitted, but touchbacks increase. Just put things back to the way they were in the 70s. Things didn't get messed up until kickoffs were moved back and both teams came at each other after building up greater speed.

Reactions: I4CtheFuture
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login