Kirby Smart on Mike Leach

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
“Yeah, I enjoy being around him. I don't know him that well. Probably (not) as well as I know some others because he was out west for a large time I've been coaching here,” Smart said. “But he was at Valdosta State when I was in high school. And his staff recruited me to go to Valdosta State from right down the road. So I know he was there at that time. And I know a lot about him and followed his career because of Coach (Chris) Hatcher and because of the Air Raid kind of family.”

“But I got a lot of respect for what he does,” Smart said. “He's evolved, too. He's not stayed exactly the same. Their backs and their commitment to the run -- the so-called just air raid. And he's brought that physicality, really, to the SEC in terms of what he does.”

Interesting that the coach of the Number #1 team says Leach has evolved. Could it be that he knows more than some?

Smart said this offense was different than the one he saw a few years ago in Athens.

hmmmmmmm

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
“Yeah, I enjoy being around him. I don't know him that well. Probably (not) as well as I know some others because he was out west for a large time I've been coaching here,” Smart said. “But he was at Valdosta State when I was in high school. And his staff recruited me to go to Valdosta State from right down the road. So I know he was there at that time. And I know a lot about him and followed his career because of Coach (Chris) Hatcher and because of the Air Raid kind of family.”

“But I got a lot of respect for what he does,” Smart said. “He's evolved, too. He's not stayed exactly the same. Their backs and their commitment to the run -- the so-called just air raid. And he's brought that physicality, really, to the SEC in terms of what he does.”

Interesting that the coach of the Number #1 team says Leach has evolved. Could it be that he knows more than some?

Smart said this offense was different than the one he saw a few years ago in Athens.

hmmmmmmm
Instead of calling 40 passes consecutively in a game, he only called 24 straight this past Saturday. #evolution **

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Instead of calling 40 passes consecutively in a game, he only called 24 straight this past Saturday. #evolution **

Or maybe Rogers didn't audible out. But you are right. Kiby is a bummer and a dumb ***. We should listen to him

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'll side on Kirby's statement over what others and myself say when we're pissed off but it does seem that I sometimes see plays where it would have been a good time to throw a shovel pass or draw play because even if it doesn't get you 4 yds or so, it still keeps the D thinkin' it might happen again. Good Post and worthy of discussion.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Or maybe Rogers didn't audible out. But you are right. Kiby is a bummer and a dumb ***. We should listen to him
If you are getting your talking points from opposing coaches press conferences to affirm your beliefs then you're already in a bad spot. Not one opposing coach is going to say anything negative about a team he is about to face and frankly Kirby doesn't have a need to.

Every coach in the SEC praised Croom every week too. Maybe we should go back and kick those tires again to see what he can do?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Kirby is just trying to hide the knife behind all that “evolved” butter

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I'd like to know what Cadillac said to Leach after the game. He had his arm around him in a friendly way and spoke a lot longer than you see from a coach.

Reactions: TracerRound

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You've obviously never heard of coach speak. Most coaches rarely speak negatively of other coaches because guess what it looks bad if they lose to then. Most will say yeah they are a good team with good players. They do a lot of this right. Secretly they are saying these guys aren't as good as us and we better stomp a mud hole in them. Kiffin praised leach as being an offensive innovator and a great offensive coach only to put coach him two years in a row. Saban will say oh he is great coach and the air raid system is a great system and then shut it down and it makes his team look better perception wise.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

hmmmmmmm
Are you this dumb in real life, too? Or are you just playing pretend for SixPack, Gene's, tRant, and all the other places you post this garbage?

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
People that think we should have ran the ball into a loaded box are idiots. The fact that we couldn’t execute our passing game with a loaded box is what is concerning, not the fact that we threw the ball. The air raid is supposed to feast on teams that bring pressure. It should be the easiest thing to hit big plays on and we looked like deer in headlights.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I hate to agree with "she mate me" but I have never heard a coach say his next opponents coach or team are garbage. Have you ever heard Saban the week they play the Little Sisters of the Poor ???

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
People that think we should have ran the ball into a loaded box are idiots. The fact that we couldn’t execute our passing game with a loaded box is what is concerning, not the fact that we threw the ball. The air raid is supposed to feast on teams that bring pressure. It should be the easiest thing to hit big plays on and we looked like deer in headlights.
Not helping our tackle constantly whiff a block. Not having a hot route drawn up. Not being able to catch if we did. Not being able to see it. Or just getting the ball knocked down because Will didn't move around in the pocket enough.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I hate to agree with "she mate me" but I have never heard a coach say his next opponents coach or team are garbage. Have you ever heard Saban the week they play the Little Sisters of the Poor ???
I think ibdancin's main point was that Leach has "evolved" while many on here have said he has not. Coaches always say that the next coach they face are good coaches and have a good system. ibdancin will soon learn that posting anything to elevate our program will quickly be shot down here.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm usually fairly optimistic. I try to be. And yes, he isn't as stubborn as some of these guys think. Sometimes I don't even think they watch the games. Off the wall commentary is pretty common

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Oh it has zero to do with coach speech. This isn't him saying we are great. It's him pointing out what some don't want to hear because it goes against their selling points

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
I think ibdancin's main point was that Leach has "evolved" while many on here have said he has not. Coaches always say that the next coach they face are good coaches and have a good system. ibdancin will soon learn that posting anything to elevate our program will quickly be shot down here.
That’s what it seems like. He made a comment that was Positive, and that upset some who want to push a negative narrative.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Hold on! Will Rogers has the ‘go ahead’ from his coaches to read the defense and call a run or pass. This is from Coach Leach at his Monday presser. Coach Leach might have called for 24 passes in a row, but Will reads the defense. If Auburn has four down, you pass. If they rush three and drop 8, Will is supposed to call a run. Some of you don’t know a d*mn thing about the Air Raid, but you love to read yourself in print and criticize Leach’s handling of the offense. Coach’s evolution has a lot to do with how the SEC defenses us.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I hate that you hate to agree with me.

I thought we was friends 🥲...

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015

hmmmmmmm

Or it could be that some people are to naive to recognize coach speak.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Every coach in the SEC praised Croom every week too.

If you are getting your talking points from opposing coaches press conferences to affirm your beliefs then you're already in a bad spot. . . . Every coach in the SEC praised Croom every week too.
Truth.

If a coach is confident that he can easily beat Mississippi State so long as Leach is the coach, then why wouldn't he regularly say good things about him?

Coaches did exactly this when Croom was coach. The day Croom was fired was very disappointing for all SEC coaches.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

hmmm

RAT P0I$0N

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login