KJ

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
He's in portal now. I feel like with Briles offense he did well so I feel like lebby could make it work. Bring him home
Chris Tucker Smoking GIF

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
After his game against us last year......Yeah.....No
I suspect he’s got some off field habits that make him a very risky signing. I watched him play this year in person, not the same player from a couple of years ago. 1 million in NIL ruined him as a player this year. would you invest a million of Nil to get him ? I wouldn’t.

if he loses 30 pounds and decides to give up off field bad habits he could surprise, but when he cashes that next million dollar check who knows ?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think he’ll be ok. QB definitely won’t be the worst position on the team next fall.
KJ in right offense would be proven sec qb and head and shoulders above any other qb we would have on roster. With Briles he was 68% passer with 2600 yards. Shapen no where close to that and only had 100 more yards than KJ last year and less TDs. Folks are saying no to KJ based on this year with enos who was fired. KJ would also help you recruit other players. He's a known commodity where as Shapen is not as much.

patdog

May 28, 2007
KJ in right offense would be proven sec qb and head and shoulders above any other qb we would have on roster. With Briles he was 68% passer with 2600 yards. Shapen no where close to that and only had 100 more yards than KJ last year and less TDs. Folks are saying no to KJ based on this year with enos who was fired. KJ would also help you recruit other players. He's a known commodity where as Shapen is not as much.
Not saying Shapen is or isn’t a better signing that Jefferson would be. Just that with as many needs as we have, don’t think we can afford to spend for 2 QBs. If we were going hard after Jefferson, why sign Shapen last week? And yeah, I know he wasn’t officially in the portal yet, but it was widely speculated & with Libby’s connections to him I think he had a pretty good idea of what our chances with him would be.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Not saying Shapen is or isn’t a better signing that Jefferson would be. Just that with as many needs as we have, don’t think we can afford to spend for 2 QBs. If we were going hard after Jefferson, why sign Shapen last week? And yeah, I know he wasn’t officially in the portal yet, but it was widely speculated & with Libby’s connections to him I think he had a pretty good idea of what our chances with him would be.
Reports are Shapen isn't promised any money, or very little. If we get KJ, Shapen can come for free and compete or go elsewhere.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
His stats weren't terrible this year (9th in QBR), but after watching him for about 3 games his overall demeanor was just...almost ambivalent. He never seemed real excited to be playing. I wouldn't want to dump any NIL funds on him but I'd take him.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
His stats weren't terrible this year (9th in QBR), but after watching him for about 3 games his overall demeanor was just...almost ambivalent. He never seemed real excited to be playing. I wouldn't want to dump any NIL funds on him but I'd take him.
At this "stage" of his career he looks like a high risk to be a problem in the room to me.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
My understanding was that we were getting two qbs in portal.
qb room looks a lot better. My understanding is we aren't paying g Shapen that much

patdog

May 28, 2007
We are not limited there
Judging by portal results so far, we’re pretty limited. Even at best we’ll always be in the bottom half of the SEC. We have to raise more money & be smart with how we spend it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Judging by portal results so far, we’re pretty limited. Even at best we’ll always be in the bottom half of the SEC. We have to raise more money & be smart with how we spend it.
Our problem is having something people want to transfer for. A bunch of unknowns with our current roster and coaches. Need a big fish like a known qb to hype others in to wanting to come. Arnett imploded any momentum we had and having a senior laden class and not winning to spring board a good portal class just killed anything. Now we are young with no momentum unless we can land a big portal fish so we can hype something to other portal guys. Our coaching hires really haven't helped either. Didn't stop guys from transferring out and so far hasn't helped lure any big transfers. As I said the other day; they ye freshmen commits are good but they might not even be here to make an impact unless they play day one

Reactions: patdog

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
You can’t judge the portal solely on funds. We would be dumb to over spend for someone just to say we did. Everyone has money. Who has the best situation next year?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Thats not an accurate depiction of the portal or NIL funds for State.

New staff that’s got a late start on recruiting these guys because let’s be honest here, there’s plenty of tampering during the season to send feelers out to the players.

State has quite the war chest for NIL but you’ve got to have the connections and relationships to recruit these guys. It’s like recruiting high school kids.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

patdog

May 28, 2007
Thats not an accurate depiction of the portal or NIL funds for State.

New staff that’s got a late start on recruiting these guys because let’s be honest here, there’s plenty of tampering during the season to send feelers out to the players.

State has quite the war chest for NIL but you’ve got to have the connections and relationships to recruit these guys. It’s like recruiting high school kids.
We may think it’s quite the war chest. But I promise you it’s not in the top 10 in the SEC. And it’s not the top in the state.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I hope there is enough in there to throw some at Dowdell this weekend. I'm sure that being a new staff that is not really all on campus yet has impeded their ability to assess what we currently have here. You have to determine your top needs before you go throwing money around. Regardless of how much we have or don't have. You have to fill those most important spots first. They will have a better idea in April when it reopens.

Reactions: patdog

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
I just chalked that up to being stuck at Arkansas

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Agreed, KJ is a great QB and would fit with Lebby's offense. He is going to do well anywhere he lands. He must like us because of the way he played against us. I would love to see him Don the Maroon and White. We need a big win in the portal like getting him.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Are we even in on anyone else? Most of the pieces out there have fallen into place. It’s looking like Shapen or bust at this point.

I don’t recall seeing DJ Ukelele commit yet but it was looking like a solid FSU for him at one point. All the “name” guys have already made their choices.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login