Know nothing about Lebby.....

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
however, I will support him because he's the next HC at Mississsippi State. Nothing more nothing less. Same as I have with all the new coaches we get. He did say he was specifically here to score points.....however, I would like to see some emphasis on the other team not scoring points. Will most of our games be like 55-54, 62-59, or just come up short like 47-48? Don't know, but I guess we'll see.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
He's wrong he's here to be a head coach, that is the concern I have with hiring coordinators, we don't have the best track record with coordinators jumping into head coaching in recent memory!

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Same. And I know this.....Danny knew he had to build the defense first and foremost, especially since at MSU, defense is usually where the best players are. All schools blueprint is slightly different in this way. Even Leach also took this approach, and he is known for nothing BUT offense.

In general, if your offense sucks, you likely have a losing record and you look terrible doing it (think Croom Error, or 2023). Offense gives you a chance. But if your defense sucks, you still likely have a losing record, but it's more bearable (think 2009 or 2016). So I think a solid plan for us is being competent at both, and aim for your defense to be better than your offense (that's were the bulk of your recruiting/NIL should go). Offense fluctuates according to the QB. That's how we live in the 8-4 territory. Down year is 6-6, get a QB and have an up year and maybe land at 10-2.

Ole Miss' plan is slightly different. They usually get better offensive players, and just have to keep the defense competent, historically.

We don't need to hire a Kiffin. Who knows what Lebby will end up being, but I hope he doesn't think he will be able to turn us into a Big 12 level offensive juggernaut and place resources toward that dead end.

This is what I mean when I say I wish the AD would come up with a baseline plan for all our programs. Maybe we have that....but I've never seen anyone talk about it.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well it would help if you spelled his name right*****
Oke Yes GIF by VVD

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
He's wrong he's here to be a head coach, that is the concern I have with hiring coordinators, we don't have the best track record with coordinators jumping into head coaching in recent memory!
Mullen did pretty well for several years, until he got what he thought was a better offer. JoMo - not so well.

DogStuckAtUM

Aug 5, 2021
As I've gone through a number of coaching searches at State, my feelings from now on will be: Sounds great. I hope for the best. Now show me, don't tell me.

Some of the people on GP last year were calling Arnett "our Dabo" and other BS like that. WHAT?! People called JoMo a great, smart hire and he **** the bed (and he's continuing to show he doesn't deserve to be a HC). People are STILL in an Air Raid cult about an offense that looked like football molasses. Dude, no one knows how these will turn out.

After the Chris Jones saga, I took a mental step back from recuriting. After losing Jacobi Moore after one year to the portal, I took another step realzing I'll have absolutley no clue who will be a part of my team moving forward.

Hope for the best, but be prepared to abandon all hope ye who cheer for Mississippi State.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
As I've gone through a number of coaching searches at State, my feelings from now on will be: Sounds great. I hope for the best. Now show me, don't tell me.

Some of the people on GP last year were calling Arnett "our Dabo" and other BS like that. WHAT?! People called JoMo a great, smart hire and he **** the bed (and he's continuing to show he doesn't deserve to be a HC). People are STILL in an Air Raid cult about an offense that looked like football molasses. Dude, no one knows how these will turn out.

After the Chris Jones saga, I took a mental step back from recuriting. After losing Jacobi Moore after one year to the portal, I took another step realzing I'll have absolutley no clue who will be a part of my team moving forward.

Hope for the best, but be prepared to abandon all hope ye who cheer for Mississippi State.
I'm cynical about coaching hires too, at least initially. But I get excited about it over time because I can't help myself - I'm a fan. I'm going to get behind the guy until it doesn't feel like he's the guy anymore. I did that with Moorhead. I did it with Leach. I did it with Arnett. I'll do it with this guy, too.

Recruiting? Right there with you. Don't give a damn.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Same. And I know this.....Danny knew he had to build the defense first and foremost, especially since at MSU, defense is usually where the best players are. All schools blueprint is slightly different in this way. Even Leach also took this approach, and he is known for nothing BUT offense.

In general, if your offense sucks, you likely have a losing record and you look terrible doing it (think Croom Error, or 2023). Offense gives you a chance. But if your defense sucks, you still likely have a losing record, but it's more bearable (think 2009 or 2016). So I think a solid plan for us is being competent at both, and aim for your defense to be better than your offense (that's were the bulk of your recruiting/NIL should go). Offense fluctuates according to the QB. That's how we live in the 8-4 territory. Down year is 6-6, get a QB and have an up year and maybe land at 10-2.

Ole Miss' plan is slightly different. They usually get better offensive players, and just have to keep the defense competent, historically.

We don't need to hire a Kiffin. Who knows what Lebby will end up being, but I hope he doesn't think he will be able to turn us into a Big 12 level offensive juggernaut and place resources toward that dead end.

This is what I mean when I say I wish the AD would come up with a baseline plan for all our programs. Maybe we have that....but I've never seen anyone talk about it.
If he is smart he will talk to Jackie and Mullen about defense. Make sure to land a good hire there. Shore that up.

Without getting Gus Mullen chadwell or Lashlee this is the best offensive minded head coach we could make. It's a lot easier to change defensive coordinators than to change offenses or coordinator ever year if the head coach is defense and can't fix it. I wanted more experience but this is about as close to the Mullen 08 hire as we could get this year. Moorhead came from big 10. Lebby has seen the SEC and his offense is faster developing than morehead. It's aggressive and tempo. Much different. I also don't think lebby will be a softie to the players and be buddy buddy.

Last edited:

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I don’t really get why people feel the need to say they will support this hire? Whats the other option? Is this the Forrest Hughes effect?**

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It’s very similar to the 2008 Mullen hire for me. Same questions were there about Dan, but he brought energy, excitement, and a fun offense so that excited the heck out of people.

Now to be fair, it took Dan a little while to figure out the head coach thing at the beginning (not knowing the instant replay rules against Houston in 2009 comes to mind). And he didn’t always nail his DC hires, it was honestly more 50/50 than people seem to remember, and Sirmon wasn’t the only dud.

I think Lebby is smart enough to know he can’t totally ignore defense. He was at Ole Miss in 2020 when they were amazing on offense and awful on defense and only were a .500 team. The next year OM got better on defense and won 10 games. That wasn’t Lebby’s doing but I’m sure he picked up on what happened there.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You don't remember Dan Mullen? How old are you?
How old are you? It's naive to not have some reservations about a first time head coach. Previous to Lebby, over the last 40 years we have hired 7 head coaches... 2 with HC experience and 5 without.

Sherrill and Leach were the 2 with experience... They both panned out great. The names surrounding Mullen on the other list are pretty damn cringe... Felker, Croom, Mullen, Moorhead, and Arnett.

2 for 2 vs 1 out of 5.

I wanted at least a somewhat experienced head coach just because you don't have the risk of total catastrophe like Arnett. But I also imagine those hot names like Chadwell and Leipold are waiting on bigger opportunities. I definitely prefer a risk on Lebby over some of those retread names like Herman and Odom though. We know who they are and that would be 5-7 wins at State.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
How old are you? It's naive to not have some reservations about a first time head coach. Previous to Lebby, over the last 40 years we have hired 7 head coaches... 2 with HC experience and 5 without.

Sherrill and Leach were the 2 with experience... They both panned out great. The names surrounding Mullen on the other list are pretty damn cringe... Felker, Croom, Mullen, Moorhead, and Arnett.

2 for 2 vs 1 out of 5.

I wanted at least a somewhat experienced head coach just because you don't have the risk of total catastrophe like Arnett. But I also imagine those hot names like Chadwell and Leipold are waiting on bigger opportunities. I definitely prefer a risk on Lebby over some of those retread names like Herman and Odom though. We know who they are and that would be 5-7 wins at State.
This was the comment I was responding to:

we don't have the best track record with coordinators jumping into head coaching in recent memory

I was merely pointing out that Mullen was recent memory for most of us.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I was not totally on board. I wanted Chadwell. But you can't always get what you want and even he might not have worked out. But a program is built on players and recruits and seeing all the excitement and feedback from them tells me it was a good choice. Then hearing these cry babies reinforces that for me. All we can do is wait and see and hope for the best.

Reactions: DogStuckAtUM

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
I'm a man, I'm 44 and yes I remember Mullen, but I also remember Jomo and Arnett!
Arnett shouldn't really factor into the sample set. He was a glorified interim and we knew he probably wasn't ready when he took over, but without an AD and the head coach having just died, we didn't have a lot of options and had to hope for the best. Unfortunately it was an abject disaster.

There are tons of examples of first time HC's working out well. Too many to list.

And of course this conversation is never complete without looking at the alternatives, which seem to have been Fritz, Odom and Sumrall. Woof.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm getting the feeling he is gonna improve our recruiting class and do some good in the portal. Plus I'm thinking a couple players may follow him from Oklahoma as well as maybe 2 or 3 staff members. People are gonna be impressed

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login