Laid my dad to rest yesterday…

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Now, he and my late son can have unlimited conversations about anything MSU. The church was filled with so many people who loved him. I am thankful God chose me to be his son.
Sorry for your loss....those of us who have buried our fathers share your grief.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Now, he and my late son can have unlimited conversations about anything MSU. The church was filled with so many people who loved him. I am thankful God chose me to be his son.
My sincerest condolences. I lost my pops about 2 and a half years ago and not a single day goes by when I don't think of him or grieve him being gone.

Don't let anybody ever tell you how to grieve or how long to grieve. It's nobody's business.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Very sorry for your loss but it sounds like he was pretty lucky too to have a son who loved him and appreciated him so. That says a lot about your father to me. R.I.P. Bulldog.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"Don't let anybody ever tell you how to grieve or how long to grieve. It's nobody's business"

Yep all situations are different. Mine was so sick and just a shell of his former self when he passed on there was no real grieving for me or the family when it happened. We had kind of already been through that stage when he was going down so fast. We were actually glad it was over for him since he wasn't going to get any better, if you can relate.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
My condolences....lost my dad about a year and a half ago after several years of dementia. I miss him terribly all the time, and I feel about him the same way you feel about yours. God bless you.

Aug 23, 2012
My condolences. I lost my mother February 8th of this year and two in law grandmothers within 20 days of that. It was brutal. Being thankful for what you had is a very healthy way to approach it. It’s helped me get through it immensely.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
God Bless you and your family. It really hurts when you lose your "go to guy". I lost my dad to COVID which means he was in isolation where I couldn't see him. I miss and want to call him every day and I'm sure you are going through the same.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
"Don't let anybody ever tell you how to grieve or how long to grieve. It's nobody's business"

Yep all situations are different. Mine was so sick and just a shell of his former self when he passed on there was no real grieving for me or the family when it happened. We had kind of already been through that stage when he was going down so fast. We were actually glad it was over for him since he wasn't going to get any better, if you can relate.
Mine was very similar. He had been put on hospice care and we didn't tell him, so he didn't know. I still grieve though, because something will happen that I wished I could talk to him about. As he lay in his hospital bed, I would read the Lindy's to him about all the teams of interest. When I told him Georgia Tech had Florida State, he made a comment about how those were certain losses for both of our teams. We both won, though it was opening week for both teams, it was several weeks apart if I remember correctly.

I also went up to his place in Murphy North Carolina after he passed. It makes me sad I didn't go sooner when he was alive.

At the end of April, I am taking my daughter to a karate tournament just east of Atlanta and staying with my Aunt. I asked her where she would like me to take her to dinner and she didn't get the name right, but was referring to The Varsity. It's been a very long time since I was in The Varisty. Maybe 30 years. Maybe slightly more. My dad took me there all the time when I was kid on gameday, whether it be football or basketball. I know when we go in, it'll bring back memories and I'll have to fight back tears. Good memories.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
R.I.P. man that sucks. Lost my dad in 05 (cancer) and my mom in 07 (house fire). I do not think you ever really get over it but it does become easier in time. For me the hard part was when I would have a thought or opinion I wanted to share with one of them only to realize they were gone. I really wish you peace in this time of grief.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This time of year is particularly rough for me. My dad and I had a tradition for years where we'd take off work on the Thursday/Friday of the opening round of the NCAA tournament and just watch basketball all day. Some of the best memories of my life. So naturally, March Madness stirs up some emotions for me. He passed in '15 and I'm only just now getting to the point where I think I might be able to enjoy it aGAIN. Having State in there certainly helps.

Don't mean to hijack the thread jd. A lot of us know what you're going through. Continue to be thankful of the memories you have.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Condolences. That service you described is so helpful.

My situation was more like The Peeper in that there was some relief at the end. We didn't get to have a service since we were all over the place and Dad passed in Florida. My "service" that proved to be so cathartic was I posted on a Facebook group that someone started about my birth town and childhood home area. I posted the announcement of his passing and so many people that were his dental patients or guys he coached in Baseball responded with all sorts of stories. So many times you don't get to see the culmination of the effects you had in your lifetime. That really warmed our hearts.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I’m very sorry for your loss. I felt the same way about my Daddy as you did yours-a great deal of pride and honor and thankful to have been blessed by God to have been chosen to be his son. I share your grief-we buried my Daddy almost 17 years ago. I’m praying for you and your loved ones, and asking the Lord to bless you and comfort you.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Condolences. Buried mine last July. Glad he got to see State win the baseball natty. My dad was an ******* growing up, and drank a lot. The last 10 years of his life he quit drinking, read his Bible every night, became a deacon in the church, & just a different person. I was proud of him & he was a great grandfather to my kids. We miss him every day & something reminds me of him every single day, but I cherish those memories & seeing the positive effect he had on my kids makes me proud I’m his son. Here’s to our dads…

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Prayers for you and your family. Buried my Dad in August of last year. Grew up in Starkville and Dad and I never missed a baseball game… even during the week. When the players go take the season tickets to folks in Starkville… they stayed for 2 hours and dad cooked Em breakfast. That was an exciting day for him. I haven’t been to a game yet since he passed away. I dread it… First time without him since I was born. I am 60 now.

Apologize for writing so much but your msg really hit me tonight. God Bless.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login