Lake Lamar Bruce in Saltillo

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I see where MDWFP has stocked this lake with 700 rainbow trout… pretty cool thing to do. Any of you north MS guys had a chance to go try and catch a few? Thinking about taking my daughter up one Saturday to catch a few.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Lake Monroe is stocked with walleye but you can’t catch them. Well you might can catch them but it’s illegal to keep them. They are for restocking somewhere else.

USAFAMMO

Oct 13, 2012
I see where MDWFP has stocked this lake with 700 rainbow trout… pretty cool thing to do. Any of you north MS guys had a chance to go try and catch a few? Thinking about taking my daughter up one Saturday to catch a few.
Depends on the water temp. Fish where the coldest water is, probably down deep.

Nov 20, 2023
Did not know this as I live only 20 mins max from there hopefully I’ll get the chance to go catch a couple of them. That would be nice!

Reactions: Dawg84

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Apparently they have been doing it for years. The article says they can survive but will not reproduce.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Rainbows bred in the south are a lot sturdier than you think. These aren't fish used to 55 degree water.

The bass will have a bigger impact on the population than the weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdawg22

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Unless they're some kind of hybrids, they won't likely survive the summer. They typically quit growing in the upper 60's to low 70's water temps and flat out die in the upper 70's.

In TX they would stock city park ponds and have winter kids fishing rodeos to try to catch them all because they can't survive the summer. Lamar Bruce may have deep enough water for a few to survive though.

Reactions: mcdawg22

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Did not know this as I live only 20 mins max from there hopefully I’ll get the chance to go catch a couple of them. That would be nice!
I live in Madison, so it would be a long haul for me. I may just combine a trip up there with a basketball game at state. Long way to go to catch a few fish (or worse not catch any). But my daughter loves to fish and this is something obviously can’t catch anywhere else in MS.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Unless they're some kind of hybrids, they won't likely survive the summer. They typically quit growing in the upper 60's to low 70's water temps and flat out die in the upper 70's.

In TX they would stock city park ponds and have winter kids fishing rodeos to try to catch them all because they can't survive the summer. Lamar Bruce may have deep enough water for a few to survive though.
I saw that going down the rainbow trout rabbit hole. They’ll do rainbow derby’s in ponds in Texas with no catch and release. They stock them with 6 inch trout. What are you supposed to do with that?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I saw that going down the rainbow trout rabbit hole. They’ll do rainbow derby’s in ponds in Texas with no catch and release. They stock them with 6 inch trout. What are you supposed to do with that?
No idea, not even sure how you catch them without fly fishing. My buddy got his pond stocked up here with rainbow this past spring. There were 20" fish in that drop. This was one my kid caught a month after the pond was stocked.

Screenshot_20231213-100319_copy_432x960.png

Last edited:

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Apparently they have been doing it for years. The article says they can survive but will not reproduce.
Which means, catch, cook, eat.

Reactions: trob115
Nov 20, 2023
Same here. Right down the road.
That’s cool, I’m about 18-20 Miles north of it by Hwy 45. My Wife is in finally in a Physical Therapy Facility close to me and I go see her most days. Still I’m gonna go one day soon and try and catch some. Don’t know which rig and bait to use as I only have and use Baitcasters/Open Face reels for bass. Caught a very nice 9 and half pound Largemouth at a lake on some of our Farmland a few years ago, it was recently drained though :( and restocked.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That’s cool, I’m about 18-20 Miles north of it by Hwy 45. My Wife is in finally in a Physical Therapy Facility close to me and I go see her most days. Still I’m gonna go one day soon and try and catch some. Don’t know which rig and bait to use as I only have and use Baitcasters/Open Face reels for bass. Caught a very nice 9 and half pound Largemouth at a lake on some of our Farmland a few years ago, it was recently drained though :( and restocked.
A long time ago, it was great for pretty huge bluegill and a few big bass. It was a great lake off the beaten path that I always heard good things about when I was fishing around North Mississippi.

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
not even sure how you catch them without fly fishing.
Stocked rainbows are the easiest trout to catch. If they were released as fingerlings, they will usually go after spinnerbaits fairly well. If they were released at 6 inches or bigger, they are super dumb and spoiled. You can catch them on stupid stuff like Berkeley Powerbait and a wax worm. All of them will eat a small redworm. When I'm taking my son fishing in the north GA mountains, that's what we usually do. Small hook, small weight, 4 lb test, and gently float it through the current. No trout can resist it.

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87
Nov 20, 2023
A long time ago, it was great for pretty huge bluegill and a few big bass. It was a great lake off the beaten path that I always heard good things about when I was fishing around North Mississippi.
I haven’t even fished much at that lake although I should sometime. But man it may be a good bit of work but a mess of Bream or Brim are some excellent eating. Mildest fish I ever did eat. Of course Crappie are great too. I’ve caught some real nice Crappie at a certain spot I like to fish in Bay Springs lake. Ever fish there?

Nov 20, 2023
Stocked rainbows are the easiest trout to catch. If they were released as fingerlings, they will usually go after spinnerbaits fairly well. If they were released at 6 inches or bigger, they are super dumb and spoiled. You can catch them on stupid stuff like Berkeley Powerbait and a wax worm. All of them will eat a small redworm. When I'm taking my son fishing in the north GA mountains, that's what we usually do. Small hook, small weight, 4 lb test, and gently float it through the current. No trout can resist it.
I bet they would go after a good buzzbait if they will go after spinnerbaits. I have some real good ones of both. What do you think?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login