Landon Sims and Stone Simmons both confirmed out for the year with torn UCL's

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I would rank that Tulane road series as one of the worst ever. Lost the series and had a game where we blew an 8 run lead plus as a bonus lost our best pitcher and another very good pitcher for the rest of the year.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
With Simmons, I’m still trying to figure out what happened. Did he just pitch that 8th inning against Tulane through the pain or did he do it afterwards at practice?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
#travelball
#velo

It damn sure ain't because we overused them.

I can't speak to Stone Simmons but Landon's arm has been babied since he was 13 years old.

Aug 28, 2018
When Sims took the summer off after that WS run, my first thought was that he had some arm issues. I remember thinking in that last outing that his velo was down, he was laboring more and something just looked off. Then he took the summer off. Top end college guys in today's system don't just take the summer off to rest their arms unless there are some health questions.
When I saw the replay if his final pitch at Tulane, he did not have a surprised look, but more of a "Yep, there it is" look. He knew it. They knew it.

That is not to say it's anyone's fault or that it could have been prevented, but I think they knew there was a chance of that happening at some point.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I can't speak to Stone Simmons but Landon's arm has been babied since he was 13 years old.
Ole King Downvote strikes again.

How many pitching lessons do you think Sims went to, in order to increase velo?

How many years of travel ball did he play? I'll give you a hint: http://usssa.com/baseball/PlayerLocker/?playerID=1821737

And that's just one organization.

J.T. Ginn's arm was babied too, in junior high and high school.

The damage is being done at young ages, when parents are smitten with youth success and don't realize the issue. They are getting this stuff done earlier and earlier. What does that tell you? And they are pushing velo earlier and earlier.

ETA more links:

https://www.bsrphysicaltherapy.com/...baseball pitcher tears,rate of 9.12% per year.

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/2019/07/08/rise-in-youth-tommy-john-surgery-concerning/

https://www.webmd.com/children/news/20190412/foul-ball-more-kids-having-tommy-john-surgery

But travel ball coach extraordinaire Drebin knows best? Yeah OKAY.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

How many years of travel ball did he play? I'll give you a hint: http://usssa.com/baseball/PlayerLocker/?playerID=1821737

The damage is being done at young ages.

Well, from that, it looks like he only played a lot of travel ball one year, in 11 & Under. Otherwise, looks like they played a few tournaments in 9 & Under, two games total in 10 & Under, then seven and three games in 12 under and 13 & Under.

To me that looks like either he did the damage in 11 & Under, or it's about technique and training.

Sims's injury surprises me some because while he is certainly a max effort type of pitcher, his body looks built to throw hard.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well, from that, it looks like he only played a lot of travel ball one year, in 11 & Under. Otherwise, looks like they played a few tournaments in 9 & Under, two games total in 10 & Under, then seven and three games in 12 under and 13 & Under.

To me that looks like either he did the damage in 11 & Under, or it's about technique and training.

Sims's injury surprises me some because while he is certainly a max effort type of pitcher, his body looks built to throw hard.
Yeah that's why I said that about the one organization (perfect game, grand slam, etc.). And there's actually another profile for him in there that shows a long 2011 season. Anyways, back in those days it's not like all those tournaments were recorded on the internet. And this is probably in addition to playing locally, many of the bigger cities have those leagues too. The fact that it's actually there shows how much he played.

But I do believe Sims' injury was MOSTLY due to velo, and just the overwhelming stress he puts on his arm.

Youth overuse just gets overlooked so much. It sets the stage. And it is worse now than ever before, because of guys like Drebin who don't think it's a big deal.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

I don’t know that he’s built to throw hard. He certainly doesn’t have a ton of height or wingspan to help gain more leverage without applying more torque to the elbow. His lower half is well built, but his mechanics have him using a lot of arm in his delivery so I don’t think he’s taking full advantage of that.

In any case, he’ll have the surgery and get the mechanics side figured out in MiLB, and likely will be throwing even harder 2 years from now than he did pre-injury.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I would rank that Tulane road series as one of the worst ever. Lost the series and had a game where we blew an 8 run lead plus as a bonus lost our best pitcher and another very good pitcher for the rest of the year.

Being down in Nawlins, I think the hoodoo voodoo gurus got to us......and someone forgot to give Jobu his shot of liquor.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

The damage is being done at young ages, when parents are smitten with youth success and don't realize the issue. They are getting this stuff done earlier and earlier. What does that tell you? And they are pushing velo earlier and earlier.

ETA more links:

https://www.bsrphysicaltherapy.com/...baseball pitcher tears,rate of 9.12% per year.

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/2019/07/08/rise-in-youth-tommy-john-surgery-concerning/

https://www.webmd.com/children/news/20190412/foul-ball-more-kids-having-tommy-john-surgery

But travel ball coach extraordinaire Drebin knows best? Yeah OKAY.

Number one, I don't downvote people. It's silly.

Number two, why do you get so triggered. I know a little bit about Landon Sims. It may come as a shock to you that he wasn't only a pitcher when he played travel ball. His arm has been babied for years. As part of his agreement to come to state, the coaching staff had to present a plan for how they were going to handle him.

I know it can be really tough for you when one of your tried and true narratives crumble in the face of facts, but it's much better for you (and for the board in general) if you just take the L and move on.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Wow I have to give you a gold star there for furiously researching this so you could stick it to Drebin. I’m sure you’ve been waiting on that for a while.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Number one, I don't downvote people. It's silly.

Number two, why do you get so triggered. I know a little bit about Landon Sims. It may come as a shock to you that he wasn't only a pitcher when he played travel ball. His arm has been babied for years. As part of his agreement to come to state, the coaching staff had to present a plan for how they were going to handle him.

I know it can be really tough for you when one of your tried and true narratives crumble in the face of facts, but it's much better for you (and for the board in general) if you just take the L and move on.
Are you a pathological liar? I mean you still haven't admitted your Facebook gaffe. Take the L? Sure thing bruh. Those surgeons are just plumb idiots ain't they?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Wow I have to give you a gold star there for furiously researching this so you could stick it to Drebin. I’m sure you’ve been waiting on that for a while.
Quick Google search there, but hey, I'll take it.

In all honesty, that's how far out of left field he is on this. Not even left field, he's not even in Snowden Park (which he obviously knows about because that's likely where he does all his aRm KiLlInG!!!111).

Anyway, this is just something that I see all the time. And Drebin is right, it does trigger me, because it's done by idiot selfish wannabe coaches who have ruined youth baseball for everyone else.

Last edited:

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like Sims had a partial tear and tried to rehab instead of surgery. That would explain the "shutdown".

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like Sims had a partial tear and tried to rehab instead of surgery. That would explain the "shutdown".
I guess you don't hear about it or remember when people shut down and successfully rehab without therapy, but it damn sure seems like every time somebody tries this, the only thing they accomplish is spending some time at less than full strength before having to have surgery anyway.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I guess you don't hear about it or remember when people shut down and successfully rehab without therapy, but it damn sure seems like every time somebody tries this, the only thing they accomplish is spending some time at less than full strength before having to have surgery anyway.
Derek Diamond is holding on, for the time being. For his sake I hope it works out (just not in Omaha).

Aug 28, 2018
Had it not happened now, but in another year with Sims, it could be said that he'd fully healed and this was just a unrelated injury. Who knows..

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Had it not happened now, but in another year with Sims, it could be said that he'd fully healed and this was just a unrelated injury. Who knows..
You bring up an interesting point. I think the obvious goal would be to make sure you don't have this surgery until after you get drafted. High school pitchers with legit velo really need to consider this before going to college. Once you get into the MLB club's system it's all gravy. I guess the ones with just overwhelming ability will just get drafted again, even if injured. Like Kumar and the dude for Ole Miss. But it's still a bad deal if you're having trouble, and they obviously try to screw you out of money.

Both high school and college coaches have to win, and there's really not a lot of time for development. In baseball, you better take your money when you can get it.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I didnt notice anything abnormal in his innings. Every guy on that team is a stud so its not just gonna be Sims pitching. Also he hit 95 in Game 3 of the CWS and worked on his change in the offseason. Maybe something was up but I dont see anything really abnormal.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
From an MLB perspective, because these days so many guys have TJ surgery and perform well afterwards, if you expect to have it done at any point they’d rather you do it before they draft you. Get it out of the way. Yes, if you never need it that is ideal, but I would think it happening now is better than at age 25.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Are you a pathological liar? I mean you still haven't admitted your Facebook gaffe. Take the L? Sure thing bruh. Those surgeons are just plumb idiots ain't they?

1. We all love it when goat doubles down on stupidity. It means he's a day closer to finding a new user name.
2. Why do you keep bringing up a debunked Facebook gaffe, especially when what was said (several months ago, mind you) turned out to be correct anyway? Good burn, I guess?

Chill out.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Quick Google search there, but hey, I'll take it.

In all honesty, that's how far out of left field he is on this. Not even left field, he's not even in Snowden Park (which he obviously knows about because that's likely where he does all his aRm KiLlInG!!!111).

Anyway, this is just something that I see all the time. And Drebin is right, it does trigger me, because it's done by idiot selfish wannabe coaches who have ruined youth baseball for everyone else.

Show me a guy with this opinion on youth baseball, and I'll show you guy who coaches rec ball (in this case, it's likely an assistant coach) and probably doesn't have a kid good enough to cut it at the competitive level.

What I told you about Sims is true. I don't care whether you believe it or not because you're a known moron.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Show me a guy with this opinion on youth baseball, and I'll show you guy who coaches rec ball (in this case, it's likely an assistant coach) and probably doesn't have a kid good enough to cut it at the competitive level.

What I told you about Sims is true. I don't care whether you believe it or not because you're a known moron.
You don't even know what my opinion is, you're just arguing. What's even funnier is your use of the word "we" in the other post. Trying to recruit others to help you out. Pretty pathetic.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You don't even know what my opinion is, you're just arguing. What's even funnier is your use of the word "we" in the other post. Trying to recruit others to help you out. Pretty pathetic.

"You're just arguing..." Your lack of self awareness is staggering.

"We" is appropriate. I'm not recruiting anyone. The fact is, you're on your 122,320th different user name around here. There's a reason for that. Again, your self awareness is staggering.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Watching dorn root for goat to stick it to Drebin:

Bruh....it's like 42-3....you ain't coming back on a fluke play to force OT.

Just go do something else (something besides abusing kids arms and then arguing about it on the internet).

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I should know better, but what is the opinion being argued here? Whether excessive travel ball and over pitching is contributing to injuries, in particular UCL?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Bruh....it's like 42-3....you ain't coming back on a fluke play to force OT.

Just go do something else (something besides abusing kids arms and then arguing about it on the internet).

Dude, you don't have 3 wins.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login