Largest road project ever for Starkville starts next week

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
182 getting updated...during football season ... Will last 2-3 years. Planning started 13 years ago.

Can't hurt but what is hurting starkville as much or more than how ****** 182 and 12 look is how spread out development is. Don't think this is going to help that problem, but maybe it will help develop some more desirable residential areas around 182 if there is a nice walkable stretch. I'm a little skeptical that they are going to make it walkable as opposed to just a typical "Stroad" with more crosswalks and sidewalks, but again, it can't be worse than what it is now.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

BIGDAWG44

Aug 22, 2012
Can't hurt but what is hurting starkville as much or more than how ****** 182 and 12 look is how spread out development is. Don't think this is going to help that problem, but maybe it will help develop some more desirable residential areas around 182 if there is a nice walkable stretch. I'm a little skeptical that they are going to make it walkable as opposed to just a typical "Stroad" with more crosswalks and sidewalks, but again, it can't be worse than what it is now.
They cleared a nice lot down the hill from mugshots on 182 and advertised a new apartment building with shops. A month later family dollar started building on it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mississippi's Mantra

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
They cleared a nice lot down the hill from mugshots on 182 and advertised a new apartment building with shops. A month later family dollar started building on it.
Where? That description doesn’t make sense.

edited: I guess you mean the original Mugshots location

Reactions: BIGDAWG44

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Then 5 years later they'll dig up the turning lanes and plant crape myrtles in them so you can drive down another half mile to do a u turn to get where you want.
They're going to put those stupid divided medians in the first time. I wish I knew why they had such a hard on for those things. I've maybe talked to 3 people that actually like them. Fire department hates them trying to navigate those big trucks and get to fires or wrecks.

AMereMortal

Mar 7, 2022
They're going to put those stupid divided medians in the first time. I wish I knew why they had such a hard on for those things. I've maybe talked to 3 people that actually like them. Fire department hates them trying to navigate those big trucks and get to fires or wrecks.
I asked the City Planner about this a few years ago. The highway reached an accident limit and MDOT was going to place concrete barriers down the entire stretch like in Tuscaloosa. The city was able to fight for the medians and greenery. Anything involving the two highways is under MDOT control from my understanding.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

randystewart

Jan 14, 2009
I asked the City Planner about this a few years ago. The highway reached an accident limit and MDOT was going to place concrete barriers down the entire stretch like in Tuscaloosa. The city was able to fight for the medians and greenery. Anything involving the two highways is under MDOT control from my understanding.
And it has helped immensely. The number of wrecks caused by people turning left across 5-6 lanes of traffic was out of control. I know it is an inconvenience at times but it has solved a huge problem

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
And it has helped immensely. The number of wrecks caused by people turning left across 5-6 lanes of traffic was out of control. I know it is an inconvenience at times but it has solved a huge problem
Had this same problem on County Line Road (in Jxn) years ago. Folks would try to turn out of KFC across three lanes of traffic to head east (toward Old Canton Rd), medians solved that problem.

Reactions: onewoof

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Thanks, interesting tidbit.

Reactions: AMereMortal