Last surviving member of Easy Company went to MSU

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Awesome story, I've been to the museum at Bastogne, it is one of the best I've been I've seen.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
He lives in Caledonia. I had the privilege of meeting him and hearing speak a few years ago. He signed my copy of the book, which he is in.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
He lives in Caledonia. I had the privilege of meeting him and hearing speak a few years ago. He signed my copy of the book, which he is in.
One story he told that didn't make it into the book or the show: He said they had been in Normandy 3-4 weeks. They weren't supposed to be there that long so they weren't part of the planned supply set up. Their supplies were very irregular. This particular day they hadn't eaten at all. They were in a ditch next to a pasture with cows in it. He said the word came down the line wanting anyone who knew how to butcher a cow to come up front. He grew up on a cattle farm so up he went. He said he was orderedby someone to shoot a cow and butcher it. He didn't say who ordered it. They ate well that night. When they eventually got back to England they lined up for their back pay. The price of the cow was deducted from his. He said he figured it was worth it as he and his buddies were hungry.

Last edited:

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks

Had two Great Uncles land with the 5th Rangers. Had another “Uncle” (Aunt’s brother) jump with the 101st. Got a bit of the latter’s story after 9-11. He missed Bastogne.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login