Latest: Everyone in the Media Respects MSU MBB

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006

Relevant text from the article:

Hey, it’s Mississippi State! OK! Sure!

Are there teams in the below section that “deserve” to be here more than the Bulldogs? Yeah, sure, but so what? They’ll get their run, if they haven’t already, and the bottom of the power rankings list is nothing if not a sucker for surprising teams having great starts to seasons. Mississippi State is nothing if not that.

In some respects, maybe this start isn’t all that surprising. The Bulldogs were a consistently solid team for most of Ben Howland’s tenure, particularly the final four, even if they always rated out more highly on your laptop screen than they did in sheer wins and losses. This is why Howland, despite having the adjusted per-possession metrics to look like a tournament-ish team at least twice in his last three seasons, only made one NCAA field in seven years. Alas.

This team does not look revolutionary. In fact its core comprises players who have been regular figures in Howland’s recent teams: D.J. Jeffries, Cameron Matthews, Shakeel Moore. The difference — beyond the addition of gem Eric Reed from Southeast Missouri State, who is one of the least turnover-prone guards in the country — is that senior forward Tolu Smith has started this season looking like one of the best players in the SEC. A somewhat peripheral player for most of his career, Smith is now even more efficient despite jumping from 24.8 percent usage and 23.4 percent shot rates to 31.8 and 25.4, respectively. He is touching the ball all the time, he’s converting interior finishes at an unprecedented rate, and he’s drawing a ton of fouls in the process. Mississippi State is still not a very good outside shooting team, a la last season, but it appears to be a genuine buzzsaw on the defensive end, of the kind Howland only occasionally approached.

The only caveat? The schedule. Chris Jans is a first-year head coach, and he scheduled the way a lot of first-year head coaches do, which is to say: softly. You want to build momentum; you want to give your guys confidence; you want to win them over with success; and sometimes you just don’t really know if your team is going to be any good in the first place. But other than an event in Fort Myers, Fla., where they played (and beat) Marquette and Utah on a neutral floor, this is an extremely soft nonconference schedule. KenPom ranks it 342nd in the country. It’s the kind of schedule you end up with in a transitional year, except Mississippi State looks really good right now. We’ll have to wait until the teeth of the SEC campaign to test it out, and the Bulldogs will have to hope that they can sustain this level — and that their unfortunate noncon slate won’t damage them too much when it comes time to select and seed the field a few months down the line.

But still: Mississippi State! Kind of cool!

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
You mean all the media loves Miss state except the associated press voters?
The AP Reads The Pack. And WTF is this 342nd ranked non con schedule strength all about? Just how many damn teams are there for cryin' out loud?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
How'd that work out for you?
We won didn't we? So I guess it worked out fine. I hate to break it to you guys, but my post was a joke, as I am almost certain was jethreauxdawg's before it...

Some newer fans may not realize this, but once upon a time, good ol' national championship U Mississippi State previously held a long and storied history of letting us down, especially immediately after getting ranked. I guess I worded it poorly, so the bitter humor of me lowering my own expectations flew right past. My bad, fellas. Didn't mean to rain on the parade of sky high expectations. Keep on keepin on. (y)

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login