Laurel with the best headline of the year

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Mark Thornton does great work for the Leader-Call.

I remember when he wrote for the Vicksburg Post.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And what about the “exclusive” under it? “Did green felon special treatment?” What the hell does that sentence even mean?
Edit: I didn’t really care enough to turn to page A 14 to find out. LLC publisher is a moron. Mom only gets the paper for the obituaries.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Wonder why small towns still have real newspapers, mid-size and somewhat large towns are all digital, and very large cities still have regular papers?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And what about the “exclusive” under it? “Did green felon special treatment?” What the hell does that sentence even mean?
Edit: I didn’t really care enough to turn to page A 14 to find out. LLC publisher is a moron. Mom only gets the paper for the obituaries.
Jim’s an interesting fellow.

Well, at least he was back in the day when I was a regular at his Signature Coffee Shop on Central Avenue.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Wonder why small towns still have real newspapers, mid-size and somewhat large towns are all digital, and very large cities still have regular papers?
Because large cities have the population to support a local newspaper.
Small town are consumed by the small town nature of living, therefore they support the local paper.
Mid Sized towns, best advertising sweet spot in pricing and reach. Sinclair Media (I think it is Sinclair) has basically bought all mid size city media because the best bang for their buck.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Because large cities have the population to support a local newspaper.
Small town are consumed by the small town nature of living, therefore they support the local paper.
Mid Sized towns, best advertising sweet spot in pricing and reach. Sinclair Media (I think it is Sinclair) has basically bought all mid size city media because the best bang for their buck.
Makes sense.

In Alabama, the only mid-sized town with a published daily newspaper is Montgomery, but I don't know how they stay in business. Daily circulation (according to their Facebook page) is only about 8,700 and Sunday is 11,800. Of other mid-sized cities, neither Huntsville, Birmingham, or Mobile have printed newspapers at all, starting in January. Decatur has a daily, and I think Athens does too but neither have much in them.

I'm old school and still long for printed dailys - read during breakfast and start a fire or polish the windshield when finished with it. It's hard to do the latter two with a computer, tablet, or phone.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Is every person on this board who isn’t from Vicksburg from Jones County?

That would explain a lot…
Sad Its Over GIF by Star Wars

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login