Leach back to Key West yet?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That was the most unprepared a Mississippi State team has been since the Croom era. If you told me the team hasn't had one single practice since the Egg Bowl, I'd completely believe it.

Would be nice if our Head Coach would stick around during the off-season. I almost don't blame him, if Cohen is going to let him get away with it.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I still kinda think the Orange Bowl is the standard setter for biggest letdown in a bowl game. Our biggest bowl since the 40’s and we got absolutely drilled. Garbage time was the only reason the score looked semi-respectable.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Honest question because I flat don't know. Is Leach any more "laid back" (for lack of a better word) now than he was 10 years ago ? I've known him as a at least moderately successful coach who had a passing based offense but knew nothing about personally. I guess I'm basically asking "did we get about what we paid(or overpaid) for" ?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I still kinda think the Orange Bowl is the standard setter for biggest letdown in a bowl game. Our biggest bowl since the 40’s and we got absolutely drilled. Garbage time was the only reason the score looked semi-respectable.

I agree, that's the one that comes closest.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I believe he has a lawsuit to occupy his time. That's our coach. We'll have some big wins and some bad losses and weird press conferences. That's also the history of Mississippi State football, minus a decent running game and weird press conferences. We're not getting a great, fiery young coach. We couldn't even get a guy to leave Lafayette by more than doubling his salary. Anyway, I don't recall State having a great record in bowls. Last night was pretty bad and among the worst we've played in. It doesn't help that Leach's personality doesn't look right when we're not winning. But it's the same way he acted during the big Auburn comeback. He's our guy for the next couple of years unless there's some total collapse or scandal. Best to get used to the highs and lows and hope there are more highs. One more win this year, and we had great opportunities for two more wins, and that would make a really good football season. 8-9 wins at State usually does that, unless Ole Miss has more.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The ending of the 2014 season was a big checking out moment by Mullen. I feel like he could have the pick of almost any job out there and he checked out. The Egg Bowl loss to Ole Miss was inexcusable. To me the moment that I will remember about Mullen is him shrugging his shoulders while Nicky Fitz lay on the turf with his ankle dangling… he should have whipped Matt Luke’s ***.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The Gator against Northwestern, the Music City against Wake, The St Petersburg Bowl against Miami Ohio, and the Orange Bowl against GT were all garbage effort. They pulled out the wins in two of those but looked like total dog **** doing it.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I don’t know how much time he spends there, but what’s wrong with it when he’s not allowed to make contact with the kids?

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
It’s an excuse to make when irrational people dont get what they want

What? So State fans are irrational for being upset about a bowl game loss? Are we not allowed to ***** about how unprepared the team looked and how that falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach? Evidently Leach was mentally in Key West, because he certainly wasn't focused much on our game.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Or maybe no one wanted to be there for the second time this year? Bowl games are watered down and the hype for the teams playing in the liberty, gasparillo, birmingham etc is nonexistent if you’ve been going to bowls year after year

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Agreed. Defense full of NFL talent at every level had 3 weeks to prepare for an offense that not only had inferior athletes, but also ran only four 17ing plays. And we gave up 49 damn points to those clowns.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
That was the most unprepared a Mississippi State team has been since the Croom era. If you told me the team hasn't had one single practice since the Egg Bowl, I'd completely believe it.

Would be nice if our Head Coach would stick around during the off-season. I almost don't blame him, if Cohen is going to let him get away with it.

We were just as unprepared one game ago. We came out in the egg bowl the exact same way.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Great article in today’s Clarion Ledger about Leach’s view of the team, the bowl game and the season. Puts it in a different perspective than evident from the more simplistic knee-jerk reactions on this message board. The above comments ignore completely two key factors in the bowl game loss: One, the team was without numerous starters and it manifested itself in wholly un-characteristic developments (for example, Tech being able to run the ball so successfully); and two, this team was young and made progress this year, leaving optimism for what lies ahead.

Not saying some of the preparedness criticisms and uneven play aren’t warranted. Instead just pointing out that there can be more than one cause fir a loss and all causes can’t be attributed to Leach.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Are you trying to imply that Leach knows more about coaching college football than the posters on this board? Blasphemy!***

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Great article in today’s Clarion Ledger about Leach’s view of the team, the bowl game and the season. Puts it in a different perspective than evident from the more simplistic knee-jerk reactions on this message board. The above comments ignore completely two key factors in the bowl game loss: One, the team was without numerous starters and it manifested itself in wholly un-characteristic developments (for example, Tech being able to run the ball so successfully); and two, this team was young and made progress this year, leaving optimism for what lies ahead.

Not saying some of the preparedness criticisms and uneven play aren’t warranted. Instead just pointing out that there can be more than one cause fir a loss and all causes can’t be attributed to Leach.

There is no room for optimism in the dojo Danielsan!

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
If you told me the team hasn't had one single practice since the Egg Bowl, I'd completely believe it.

The team hasn’t had one single practice since the Egg Bowl that didn’t include numerous starters getting the majority of the snaps who didn’t get to play in the game.

It still sucked regardless of how we got here.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Yep, I was at the game and what a complete meltdown. Thank goodness we have family in Florida or it would have been a complete letdown of a trip.

engie

May 29, 2011
Get Mullen and long for the days of Sherrill…
Get Sherrill and long for the days of Mullen…

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013

As someone on the outside looking in, who obviously follows more closely than most non-MSU fans due to the rivalry and living in the same state.. I think MSU is clearly trending up under Leach. He’s got a track record, and he’s recruiting better than I thought he would, if I’m being honest. He’s gonna win some games.. I also recognize that you could’ve easily beaten LSU and Memphis, and you had a real weird 1H against Ole Miss. 2 of those 3 go your way and the vibe is way different. WAY DIFFERENT.

But, the flip side (and I recognize several will get upset with this, but I’m just trying to present an admittedly biased outside viewpoint), is that I don’t know that I see a lot of fire in Leach’s proverbial belly. He’s never been a Freeze rah-rah type, but he seems to have really mellowed. Maybe that’s good, I don’t know? But you can’t help but wonder if it doesn’t manifest itself in some of the slow starts.. and in the same way I saw the games you could’ve won but lost, I also saw the La Tech game, the 1H against Auburn, and the 2H adjustments or lack thereof against Ole Miss. And I’ve also seen Leach appear to be extraordinarily stubborn in terms of running the ball, even when it’s working.

I think you have way more to be excited about than concerned about. You’ll return one of the most accomplished QB’s in the country who has 2 and probably 3 years remaining. You bring back the bulk of your above average D, your DC, and have the portal available to plug a couple glaring holes. If I had a preseason vote you’d 100% be in my preseason Top 25. I think you’re in that 3-4 range in the SEC West for 2022, which means you’re a really good football team.

But, the MSU fans who have raised concerns aren’t crazy. This current iteration of Leach will absolutely win games, and upset some teams. But it’s fair to ask whether or not he has a ceiling of 8-9 wins, which granted has been both programs historic ceilings. But we all want more, rational or not.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I posted this in another thread, and is my gripe with Leach.

I just wish Leach would be more consistent. I don't understand how you beat 4 top 25 teams, but lose to Memphis. I think consistency is the biggest issue. Leach is a damn fine coach, and when he's on, he's very hard to beat, but some games it's seems he cashes it in. Players tend to take on the personality of the coach, and that's quite evident during games.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login