Leach in the MSU HOF?

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
As a follow on to the Drink thread, I was reading an Athletic article last week on the question of induction into the "big HOF" and ran across these quotes -
Leach was inducted into Texas Tech’s Hall of Fame in 2023. Washington State announced this week it will put Leach into its Hall of Fame later this year.
To begin the discussion, a school must nominate the player or coach for the Hall of Fame. People at Texas Tech and Washington State plan to make the case. Mississippi State surely will as well.

Seems there were discussions on statues, plaques, flags, etc. but don't recall one on the MSU HOF unless I missed it. No doubt he should be in the the big one but my first reaction is not MSU. Appears he was headed on the same path as previous stops but not sure he was here long enough to confirm it? Thinking about his career at TT and WSU it was pretty similar to Mullen here. About a decade, made us relevant, taken to "new heights" but never really won anything (not to be negative but one of the "hits" I read on on Mike). I'm good with Dan.

Thoughts?

There was this "ouch" in the comments section of the article (one is not like the others) - 158 games at three average/below average Power 5 programs. Dude was winning games in Lubbock, Pullman, and Starkville when kids would have rather played in Austin, Seattle, or Oxford.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
At his other stops I can certainly see putting him into their University HOF. But here? Let’s face it…..he wasn’t our coach long enough to accomplish enough to warrant it. But if he does get in ours I won’t have a problem with it.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
@L4Dawg says he’s a bad coach
I didn't say he was a bad coach. What I have said all a long is that he wasn't right for us and that I hated watching his offense. It was like watching paint dry. My dislike of his offense started when he was with Mumme at Kentucky. Dink and dunk passing is no different than running the option. It IS running the option.

• Angry
Reactions: Anon1697564126

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
At his other stops I can certainly see putting him into their University HOF. But here? Let’s face it…..he wasn’t our coach long enough to accomplish enough to warrant it. But if he does get in ours I won’t have a problem with it.
Fair enough. He DOES have Legendary Status and while his stint was short here, it IS his final resting place. Outta Respect if nothing else. Simply the RIGHT thing to do.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Not only does he need to be on our HOF, but we need to build a memorial to him in the Junction.
If we build a statue in the junction we already have a coach in the College Football Hall of Fame, and he is in it because of what he did at MSU. Better start with him.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
If we build a statue in the junction we already have a coach in the College Football Hall of Fame, and he is in it because of what he did at MSU. Better start with him.
I have no problem at ALL with a JWS monument. I think Lemonis deserves one as well even though I'm not convinced he's our best option at this time. I'd love to see all kinda monuments scattered about honoring famous Bulldogs. We should show how proud we are of STATE.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Leach changed the game of college football, the statute/memorial/display/museum would be more of a life time achievement than what he did at MSU. Plus he was widely beloved and respected by CFB as a whole.

Reactions: Dawgg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Leach changed the game of college football, the statute/memorial/display/museum would be more of a life time achievement than what he did at MSU. Plus he was widely beloved and respected by CFB as a whole.
Why should we build a memorial for what he did elsewhere? What he did at MSU is what's keeping him OUT of the College Football Hall of Fame. It would be like us building a memorial to Darryl Royal. We would be laughed at. If we build one to a football coach is should be Allyn McKeen. HE is in the CFHoF for what he did HERE.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
A coach here 3 years (one Covid yr) and two games over .500? I don't see the need. We letting JoMo in? He's got a winning record here in two years?
I hope he gets into the college football hall but no need here. We can name something in the football facilities after him.

Reactions: mcdawg22

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
No opposition to a nice Leach memorial in The Junction from me at all, think it would be a good way to honor him. But MSU Hall of Fame for winning 2 games above .500, nope.......

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Why should we build a memorial for what he did elsewhere? What he did at MSU is what's keeping him OUT of the College Football Hall of Fame. It would be like us building a memorial to Darryl Royal. We would be laughed at. If we build one to a football coach is should be Allyn McKeen. HE is in the CFHoF for what he did HERE.
That be an MSU thing to do, build a memorial for someone no one's ever head of and no one has interest in. We should put it adjunct to the clock museum that one goes to or cares about, but is occupying valuable real estate.

Mike died on active duty, he died a bulldog. Should the Rangers not honor Pat Tillman because he was on a Ranger a few months before getting killed?

Almost every fan/media person, etc., will agree that Mike actually changed the game.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Both Leach and Bellard should be inducted as innovators. These guys changed the game in their eras and made their marks, regardless of wins and losses.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Both Leach and Bellard should be inducted as innovators. These guys changed the game in their eras and made their marks, regardless of wins and losses.
Emory was every bit what Leach was as an innovator. His concepts are still part of the game.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yuup, Emory invented the wishbone and he could stop it (according to him).

Mike came along at just the right time when CFB was transitioning into the second most popular sport in the country. Plus his intellect and personality propelled his star.

HereForTheSearch

Oct 23, 2023
He was here three years, and is best known for passing away here. Let’s face it, he was two games over .500 and his conference offense efficiency rankings were 7th in 2021 and 8th in 2022…not to mention his offense was atrocious against teams like Bama. Put a bar, in the SEZ and give him a plaque or copy Captain Tony’s barstool idea as a way to honor him. The HOF is a stretch

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login