"Leach is stuborn and refuses to adapt"

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
This is what I see from some (by far the few) and that he refuses to run the ball. How many people actually believe that?

I don't see it at all. He ran it at Tech, and he's beating teams that are ranked at a higher rate than any coach at MSU in modern history. That's not to say Leach is perfect. But who actually believes that? Are these just trolls?

Oct 17, 2022
This is what I see from some (by far the few) and that he refuses to run the ball. How many people actually believe that?

I don't see it at all. He ran it at Tech, and he's beating teams that are ranked at a higher rate than any coach at MSU in modern history. That's not to say Leach is perfect. But who actually believes that? Are these just trolls?
It’s a combination of the few who have an agenda to undermine the coach/program but it’s also some people who just don’t understand the offense/football very well.

if he has the personnel and you show a light box he will run it all day until you come out of it.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

He has beaten one ranked team (a team that finished 2020 or 2021 ranked or is currently ranked in 2022). I think the adjustments most would like to see is with the scheme as whole. Not necessarily how many times he calls a run. But he definitely messed up at KY not calling enough runs.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

I haven't seen anyone say he doesn't want to run it better. But he's not going to change his scheme either.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
But he definitely messed up at KY not calling enough runs.
He called enough runs. But Will audibled to them at the wrong time and in all but three cases, KY had disguised their D and had a defender in the running lane. Some of that might have been on the OL, but to me it looked like Will audibled incorrectly.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
He called enough runs. But Will audibled to them at the wrong time and in all but three cases, KY had disguised their D and had a defender in the running lane. Some of that might have been on the OL, but to me it looked like Will audibled incorrectly.
We ran 7 times. Thats not enough. If Will is audibling incorrectly at this point then Leach needs to adjust. I think what KY did was show a box to get us to pass and Will was doing what he is taught.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
He has beaten one ranked team (a team that finished 2020 or 2021 ranked or is currently ranked in 2022). I think the adjustments most would like to see is with the scheme as whole. Not necessarily how many times he calls a run. But he definitely messed up at KY not calling enough runs.

You mean the game where both starting RBs were injured along with the starting center? Think that might have had something to do with it? He started off running until Johnson went down. And if you pay attention, Marks was never in until Johnson went down and the reason for that is that Marks has been banged up most of this season.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
You mean the game where both starting RBs were injured along with the starting center? Think that might have had something to do with it? He started off running until Johnson went down. And if you pay attention, Marks was never in until Johnson went down and the reason for that is that Marks has been banged up most of this season.
Is DJ out for the year? What about the center?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Had surgery and I think it's asking too much of him to return faster. It has allow for Price to step up. He played well vs Bama.

I think we get Sharpe back next game. My concern right now is Marks. He is a tough kid, but......

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
If we had a QB that was a threat to run it would help our running game a bunch. Anytime we're in an obvious running situation all they have to do is key on the RB because he's the one that's going to run and everyone knows it.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

DJ was expected back for the last couple games. Not sure but that was the talk.
But if Leach wanted to tweak his system, we'd be running some jet sweeps and wildcat in situations.

Oct 17, 2022
If we had a QB that was a threat to run it would help our running game a bunch. Anytime we're in an obvious running situation all they have to do is key on the RB because he's the one that's going to run and everyone knows it.
That’s not how it works. Have you watched any games ?

whether we run is Determined by how many men the other team has in the box. We don’t go up there against a stacked box in a power I and run the ball.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Marks was fine against KY. So was Price. We ran 16 yds in the first play against KY and then ran just 6 more times. Worst case give Jernigan some Carries. Personell wast the excuse.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
KY did not run the play 3 drop 8--so running wasn't the plan.. we don't run with 6 in the box.
Well, pretty sure we did a few times against UK. And also threw when they had a light box. They just fooled us a lot. Not sure how you address that if they don't have any tells. I mean, they started a lot of plays out of position compared to what I'm sure they'd prefer if they weren't disguising what they were doing, but I'm not sure how feasible it is to take advantage of that on a regular basis.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I lot of them are trolls, a lot just don't like the air raid and there's nothing that could be done short of a national championship to convince them otherwise,, and a lot just don't understand what adjustments look like. I think they want to see Leach go to a two TE set or something and miss minor wrinkles. Hell, I think some miss when he goes pro set.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Marks was fine against KY. So was Price. We ran 16 yds in the first play against KY and then ran just 6 more times. Worst case give Jernigan some Carries. Personell wast the excuse.

Not true. Go back and watch the last few games. Go back and listen to even the announcers in the Bama game when talking about Johnson. Even they talk about it. Go back and watch UK game and you will see Marks try to play and have to go out.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Not true. Go back and watch the last few games. Go back and listen to even the announcers in the Bama game when talking about Johnson. Even they talk about it. Go back and watch UK game and you will see Marks try to play and have to go out.
I know Johnson was out. Marks literally caught a pass on our last drive against KY. Regardless no coach in history has said “we stopped running bc we we were out of running backs.” We ran 7 times because Stoops outcoached Leach. Badly. That was the issue.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Or teach him when to audible to run & when to pass. The Leach excusers blaming Will is ridiculous. Will is doing what he’s coached to do.

I don't see many people blaming. It's simply what it was. That's not to excuse anybody or anything.
I know Johnson was out. Marks literally caught a pass on our last drive against KY. Regardless no coach in history has said “we stopped running bc we we were out of running backs.” We ran 7 times because Stoops outcoached Leach. Badly. That was the issue.
As did DJ. That doesn't mean they were not injured..

• 2nd & 8 at MSST 42​

(11:03 - 4th) Will Rogers pass complete to Dillon Johnson for 4 yds to the MisSt 46

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I have many a few demand he run the ball. Why would he change his offense that's worked everywhere he has been?

We need to be able to run it. And we need a some scheme adjustments. We don't need to move to a power offense. 25 runs a game would work.
But they can't all be straight handoffs right and left either. We can't do that.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Or teach him when to audible to run & when to pass. The Leach excusers blaming Will is ridiculous. Will is doing what he’s coached to do.

He's getting fooled by disguised coverages. That's on Will and his review work. KY ran the same defense as last year and we couldn't identify anything. That's the only game that way. And Leach has said we weren't prepared. So it's on him for that too.
LSU made adjustments and we didn't. We never blocked what they were doing. That's 100% on the coaches. Will threw it fine that game. Had a bunch of drops from our soft *** WRs.
AL was drops by the soft *** WRs again, with lots of bad officiating, along with a huge talent gap. Without Dillon, we're limited in this deal too. And the OL can't block more than three rushers. They've been pathetic too at times. But our scheme is so simplistic we don't have many running plays. I hate this crap! But it is what it is.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I don't see many people blaming. It's simply what it was. That's not to excuse anybody or anything.

As did DJ. That doesn't mean they were not injured..

• 2nd & 8 at MSST 42​

(11:03 - 4th) Will Rogers pass complete to Dillon Johnson for 4 yds to the MisSt 46
If we can throw to them then we can hand it to them. Or Price. Again, you are the first person to even suggest we ran just 7 times bc of personell/injuries. Because that’s nonsensical. And thats bc it’s not the reason. As noted by someone else, KY fooled us all night. Arkansas showed a 5 man box all day which is why we ran on them.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If we can throw to them then we can hand it to them. Or Price. Again, you are the first person to even suggest we ran just 7 times bc of personell/injuries. Because that’s nonsensical. And thats bc it’s not the reason. As noted by someone else, KY fooled us all night. Arkansas showed a 5 man box all day which is why we ran on them.

Sir injuries had a factor in our ability to run. That's not saying there were no other reasons. Some things are not either or. Yes Cooter is right on Rogers having a bad game and making bad reads. We also didn't make adjustments to the Kentucky 20 man front while running it down our throats.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
That’s not how it works. Have you watched any games ?

whether we run is Determined by how many men the other team has in the box. We don’t go up there against a stacked box in a power I and run the ball.
I have indeed watched the games. On running plays, Will has the option to give the ball to the RB OR to keep the ball himself and run it. When the D is keying on the RB he has the option to run it himself, but he never does. Just a few times a game would help to keep the D honest. Furthermore, when you get to a 4 - 5 second count, in the pocket, and none is open either throw the ball away or haul ***. No dancing around or falling back, avoid a loss or just gain what yardage you can. Will hasn't showed a lot of mobility and it has cost us a few yards.

Oct 17, 2022
I have indeed watched the games. On running plays, Will has the option to give the ball to the RB OR to keep the ball himself and run it. When the D is keying on the RB he has the option to run it himself, but he never does. Just a few times a game would help to keep the D honest. Furthermore, when you get to a 4 - 5 second count, in the pocket, and none is open either throw the ball away or haul ***. No dancing around or falling back, avoid a loss or just gain what yardage you can. Will hasn't showed a lot of mobility and it has cost us a few yards.
Another bad take, we don’t run option, and will is not a threat to run due to his very slow feet

we check down to a run and hand off to a running back. Your post is off even further because we have had great success when we do choose to run the ball this year

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You know, I would love to see the sacks this year vs last year. Don;t have time to look those up, but It feels like we have less.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Another bad take, we don’t run option, and will is not a threat to run due to his very slow feet

we check down to a run and hand off to a running back. Your post is off even further because we have had great success when we do choose to run the ball this year

Uhhh, somebody missed that swuft 4th down conversion Will got on an option play.

Certainly didn't look like a speedster, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quick he looked. Still probably only a viable play with 1 or 2 yds to go.

Oct 17, 2022
Uhhh, somebody missed that swuft 4th down conversion Will got on an option play.

Certainly didn't look like a speedster, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quick he looked. Still probably only a viable play with 1 or 2 yds to go.
I didn’t miss it. Will running an option is the first time it’s happened in three years and probably the last. That is not a play that you will see more than 2-3 times in four years

he is just not quick enough to do that often enough to call it a regular play

it could be a great play for Parson. Locke and Sawyer could run once in a while

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We have very few plays where Will has an option to keep it. There are some, but its very few.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Ok, well here’s one. With 10:45 left in the 2nd quarter of the Bama game, Price had a nice run for 5 yards. Any idea how many times we ran the ball over the next 32 plays from scrimmage? Seriously, take a guess.

ONCE

Leach’s stubbornness isn’t about the # of carries. It’s in the simplicity of his system that allows the defense to fully dictate what we do. One of the defining characteristics of his air raid is quite literally that he is NOT going to adjust. It’s a system that’s going to be run the same way every weekend

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login