Leach signs extension...

patdog

May 28, 2007
So much for the Mississippi baseball national title upping the pressure on him. **

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Glad to see the sarcasterisks** because I don't think Leach even has any idea what pressure is

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Who were we worried about him leaving us for, Key West High School?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I totally agree but with all semblance of sanity in college football being paused for the time being...absolutely nothing would surprise me at this point.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure this is a smart move.

There's no way to evaluate it without knowing how the buyout changes. That is more or less the only thing that matters. We have to extend him to four years for appearances. If we extend him to four years and make the buyout for the last year $50k, that's basically not an extension.

patdog

May 28, 2007
June is kind of odd timing though. Usually, you extend your coach in January, before the February signing date. Although, I guess now with the early signing date it really doesn't matter like it used to.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
With NIL world we live in, I like the Leach experiment more and more. We were always at a disadvantage with talent, but now we have almost no chance. You may not realize it or have accepted it yet. But our next diamond in the rough Dak Prescott type superstar player will be out the door as soon as everyone realizes what we have. Our only way to ever win this in the 16-team powerhouse SEC now is via some highly unique scheme like the Air Raid or the power wishbone. Count me as still completely on board the Pirate Ship.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
With NIL world we live in, I like the Leach experiment more and more. We were always at a disadvantage with talent, but now we have almost no chance. You may not realize it or have accepted it yet. But our next diamond in the rough Dak Prescott type superstar player will be out the door as soon as everyone realizes what we have. Our only way to ever win this in the 16-team powerhouse SEC now is via some highly unique scheme like the Air Raid or the power wishbone. Count me as still completely on board the Pirate Ship.
You get it. Congratulations, there are only like 5 of us.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
That body double has been logging some serious hours then. Hopefully Leach got enough of a bump to pay all those hours. An extension is helpful for continuity and recruiting. Besides the fact that we don't have any better candidates. And I am sure he puts in more hours a week than most people posting on this board

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
He will never go off like Saban does in a game for whatever that's worth or not worth

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He's a bought as idgaf as you can be, or at least it seems that way. We call that the kma club at work. All the retirement eligible guys just had hung out at the office getting paid until they are told they need to go home. 2 hour breakfast. 2 hour snooze. 2 hour lunch. 2 hour snooze. 2 hours reading the webs. Go home.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
If we finish 8-4 or better he ain't getting canned even if that includes a loss in the EB.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That body double has been logging some serious hours then. Hopefully Leach got enough of a bump to pay all those hours. An extension is helpful for continuity and recruiting. Besides the fact that we don't have any better candidates. And I am sure he puts in more hours a week than most people posting on this board

I don't think people realize how much less desirable our job is with NIL. There were lots of jobs with bigger alumni bases and/or more money that we were as good or better than. Between being in the SEC, being closer to home for a lot of the athletes we want, and under the table money being at least in the same ball park, we were pretty desirable. Not fun to be a have not in the SEC West, but as good or better than most other non-blue blood P5 teams and at least within spitting difference from those that were more desirable. Now, any school that can offer $100k more a year in NIL deals is going to be significantly more desirable. if we're competing for portal players, and the other school can offer what we are offering plus $25k to each to the transfers, how much easier does that make it to compete?

What if you see schools like Boston College and Georgia Tech and North Carolina State come up with NIL funds that dwarf state's?

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Has a MSU coach in the modern era ever lost his first 3 Egg Bowls and not got fired?

Last edited:

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I don't think people realize how much less desirable our job is with NIL. There were lots of jobs with bigger alumni bases and/or more money that we were as good or better than. Between being in the SEC, being closer to home for a lot of the athletes we want, and under the table money being at least in the same ball park, we were pretty desirable. Not fun to be a have not in the SEC West, but as good or better than most other non-blue blood P5 teams and at least within spitting difference from those that were more desirable. Now, any school that can offer $100k more a year in NIL deals is going to be significantly more desirable. if we're competing for portal players, and the other school can offer what we are offering plus $25k to each to the transfers, how much easier does that make it to compete?

What if you see schools like Boston College and Georgia Tech and North Carolina State come up with NIL funds that dwarf state's?
I don't think our spot in the pecking order is going to change. The people that are ahead of us will offer more in NIL $$. And the people that are behind us won't offer more than we do.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would prefer altered air raid/spread like Riley runs or kingsbury runs. Mix it up and let the qb run and run options but throw it more than Dan did.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I don't think our spot in the pecking order is going to change. The people that are ahead of us will offer more in NIL $$. And the people that are behind us won't offer more than we do.

It’s hard to imagine larger schools with many wealthy alumni like Kentucky, South Carolina, and Arkansas won’t be outbidding us. That’s not even to mention Tennessee, Oklahoma, Auburn, and then the usual big players in the SEC. In terms of football, I feel comfortable that we can match or exceed what Mizzou and Vandy are doing with NIL, and that’s about it.

So if 12th in the SEC (or 14th in new SEC) is where you think we are in the pecking order, you’d be correct. But I feel we have been more in that 8-9 range over the past decade or so.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Good Lord man, with the doom and gloom. I promise you those schools had as much money before NIL as they do now. We've discussed this 'moral' issue before, I don't think anyone truly got upset over paying a player under the table. I don't think it will make that big of a difference. Yes, there will be more.....but not enough to move the major pecking order around. ESPECIALLY the type of folks that are involved in collectives.

These aren't the big companies of the world. Those companies aren't paying recruits for nothing. I notice Louisville is doing well due to "potential" for NIL deals in the city of Louisville, but I guarantee you that these big companies aren't paying recruits that aren't proven, and before they do anything.

Even with all that......we shouldn't even try to be in the big time NIL business. Sure we can use collectives to get and keep a few select guys.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I would prefer altered air raid/spread like Riley runs or kingsbury runs. Mix it up and let the qb run and run options but throw it more than Dan did.
Pretty much everybody is doing this now. Why would we do the same thing?

We need to be running a variation of the Rich Rod offense, since those are the types of athletes we have access to. But I've also got no problem with the pure Air Raid as long as we can find the QBs and OLs necessary, and to-date, Leach has been able to do that. He basically seems like the only coach who can though, since he has name cache.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Maybe I am being chicken little, but I think there are a lot of alumni that would have viewed paying recruits as cheating before, but will be happy to make a tax deductible marketing expenditures through their business for NIL payments. I don't think our pecking order will change nearby, but I could see players that we have been able to get in the past despite being slightly behind in payments we will lose now as the gap between payments will get bigger with them being legal payments. I am also concerned that some schools we compete with in other states, particularly Texas, might be able to put together more appealing NIL deals. TCU is tiny, but how many rich alumni business owners do they have compared to us? Same with Baylor. Hell, even SMU. We compete with OK St. and Texas Tech for leftovers in Texas. We have the SEC ties, but how many wealthy alumni do they have from oil and gas? Does Arkansas start being more competitive for Texas recruits with NIL money? What if large schools like Arizona St. decide to get serious and try to compete with us in Texas? Granted, they're a hell of a long way for most texas recruits, but we're not exactly close. What if schools with relatively large alulmni bases like Purdue and Indiana decide to try to compete with us in Tennessee? Are the SEC ties enough for us to be Louisville for Tennessee recruits when Louisville can outspend us?

My thing is we have had two pretty complete teams in the last decade, and then several almost good teams that just had one or two glaring holes. What if all the sudden we lose 2 or 3 recruits a year that we wouldn't have otherwise lost? I don't think it takes much to change the composition of our teams because we have such razor thin margins of error to begin with.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login