Leach Story Thread...

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I mentioned this when it aired, but someone has since uploaded a video. Neal Brown's Leach story starts at the 10 minute mark:

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I don't have any Leach stories, I just like to point out in the infamous "go for two" gif - a game between Wazzu and Oregon...

UnimportantCrazyKangaroo-small.gif

Washington State threw a TD pass with 4 seconds left to bring the Cougs within 1 point. Mike Leach elects to send the kicking team instead of taking his assistant's advice and gambling on the 2 pt conversion. The Cougs tied the game with the extra point kick and eventually won in double overtime, snapping an 8 game losing streak to the Ducks.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It was either Leach’s first or second spring at State. I was at a midweek baseball game against some directional tech school and the stadium was practically empty. I was sitting in the lounge drinking a beer and watching the game pretty much by myself. We had already shut the grill down and most of the few who were there had already left. Up walks Leach, I offer him a beer and he sits down. We sit for 2-3 innings just talking. I expected the conversation to go off the rails at any minute but it never did. We talking recruiting, we talked baseball, we talked hiking in Idaho, we just talked. It was so normal that I was almost disappointed. You know how they say that a TV camera adds 10 pounds, I think in Leach’s case the camera added 10 layers of qwerky. Most of the time he’s just engaging in a battle of wits with an unarmed reporter. Damn, I’m sitting here about to cry over a random conversation that happened a few years ago.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
This is one of my favorite Mike Leach stories. He faked a script and left it on the field. It worked too for a while. His team was outmanned, but that is really creative. Mike is truly great.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
This is one of my favorite Mike Leach stories. He faked a script and left it on the field. It worked too for a while. His team was outmanned, but that is really creative. Mike is truly great.

Leach just doing Pirate Things. LMAO.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
My CL story is little more than a personal beef between me and my brother in law. My BIL is a huge Auburn fan and Alum that hates everything Bama and then MSU in that order just to piss me off. Back story on that is me and my brother both have wanted to kick his *** for years, but my lovely sister knows we would both hurt him given that we have several inches and pounds on the little sob so she keeps him safe from the *** whooping he so richly deserves.

Now he loved CL at WSU and TT. All I ever heard about was how great CL was and how he would be the perfect coach at Auburn for literally ten years. He bought the book and got into the pirate stuff which caused me to eventually look into CL. I knew who he was, and that he and Hal Mumme, I think that is how you spell Hal's last name, had basically invented the Air Raid. I started to read more about CL and learn more about his offensive style. Being an ex college football player myself that has become a high school coach I even brought some his ideas into our offense. I can guarantee you we were the first high school team in the area to run the mesh concept. Over the years I fell in love with CL due to his offense and just his style of coaching. I loved how he made everything about his players, and used his wit and style to make them the best they could be.

Fast forward to the end of the Croomhead disaster. I thought man how cool would it be if we got CL. I remember the morning I heard about the hire. I immediately sent my BIL a text that simply said that there had been a pirate ship spotted sailing up highway 25. That the pirate was coming to Vegas. Short of actually getting to put my hands on the man this is close as I ever got to getting my revenge. It was the greatest thing to know the little cow college that I had to hear him call us for years was getting the coach I know he wanted. That family Christmas I bought him is own pirate themed cowbell that was addressed to my sister but we all knew who it was for. I make sure to wear my pirate themed MSU shirts and the plain State text shirt around my BIL as much as possible.

I was thinking about that text a few minutes ago and just started crying. CL I grew up on the Kang, but in my heart you have taken the spot right next to him. I will never forget you, and I can promise the pirate will live on in my house.

Last edited:

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
The only Leach story I have is that his book is one of 2 I read cover to cover, every word. The other was a Sir Charles book.I’ve got many, many books I’ve started and/or finished, but didn’t read every word.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The only Leach story I have is that his book is one of 2 I read cover to cover, every word. The other was a Sir Charles book.I’ve got many, many books I’ve started and/or finished, but didn’t read every word.

Crystal-iNews-template-2.jpg

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I remember two indirect Leach experiences before he came to MSU. One was hanging out with a bunch of Wazzu graduates in a speakeasy in Austin to watch CML on Pac12 after dark. They played USC and it was a great game. Lots of the highs and lows that we would come to know when he was our coach. Tons of yelling chanting the fight song after huge drives. They ended up losing but it was fun while it lasted.

The other was bringing college game day to Pullman. That was one of the best college game days in the history of the show. Having him there for the segments and bringing the show to Pullman was absolutely awesome. The opening scene was no doubt the greatest spectacle College Game day ever saw. Give it a watch. You will not regret it.

When we hired Leach I hoped he could replicate some of that magic at State.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I remember two indirect Leach experiences before he came to MSU. One was hanging out with a bunch of Wazzu graduates in a speakeasy in Austin to watch CML on Pac12 after dark. They played USC and it was a great game. Lots of the highs and lows that we would come to know when he was our coach. Tons of yelling chanting the fight song after huge drives. They ended up losing but it was fun while it lasted.

The other was bringing college game day to Pullman. That was one of the best college game days in the history of the show. Having him there for the segments and bringing the show to Pullman was absolutely awesome. The opening scene was no doubt the greatest spectacle College Game day ever saw. Give it a watch. You will not regret it.

When we hired Leach I hoped he could replicate some of that magic at State.

Did you notice the banner on the bottom of your video? Foreshadowing>MSUbanner.PNG

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login