Leach's input on NIL -

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
A hybrid system...interesting. I could get warm to that. Dangle a carrot to amateurs at the end of their education to give them an incentive to stay with a certain school. That gives the average joe athlete incentive to stay and some back-end reward for their efforts. They scratch school's back, school scratches theirs. Then have an element of professionalism with dollar caps. Leave it up to the schools to figure out how they want to divvy that up in a capped system. Cuts, trades, raises, etc.

Of course...none of this really addresses the NIL part of it. I doubt any system could legally regulate how much a player accepted outside of the system via sponsorships etc. - even for the players that self classified as amateurs. You will still have an A&M type program that would paper up good money for the 3rd string. And even if you could regulate that, you would still need a body to enforce the rules and actually punish programs that broke them. We know how all that ends up...

Reactions: Mack Rebennack

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
A hybrid system...interesting. I could get warm to that. Dangle a carrot to amateurs at the end of their education to give them an incentive to stay with a certain school. That gives the average joe athlete incentive to stay and some back-end reward for their efforts. They scratch school's back, school scratches theirs. Then have an element of professionalism with dollar caps. Leave it up to the schools to figure out how they want to divvy that up in a capped system. Cuts, trades, raises, etc.

Of course...none of this really addresses the NIL part of it. I doubt any system could legally regulate how much a player accepted outside of the system via sponsorships etc. - even for the players that self classified as amateurs. You will still have an A&M type program that would paper up good money for the 3rd string. And even if you could regulate that, you would still need a body to enforce the rules and actually punish programs that broke them. We know how all that ends up...
I doubt quality players will allow themselves to get shortchanged sitting on third string with no shot at getting good reps on TV. They may not even sit on second string for more than a year or two. Maybe if the cigar boys are willing to pony up serious cash for guys who never play but is that really even sustainable? We may never touch five stars again but some fours and below will still play at lesser P5 schools who have a good thing going. I still can’t foresee doom and gloom for Mississippi Stare just yet, maybe in another few years the epiphany will come.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well somebody has to get this thing off dead center. It's not sustainable the way it is now.
Why is it not sustainable? Seems to be purring along just fine to me. I keep hearing people say that (mainly coaches) and I don't see why it wouldn't be. Boosters can quit paying anytime. Coaches are just pissed that they now have to earn their money?

The correct word is not unsustainable, it's 'silly'. It's silly that we have to pay coaches and players this much money. It really gets old hearing some of the dumb crap that comes out of these coaches' mouths these days, cocky pricks. Saban just said the other day that the fans don't contribute to what goes on on the field, just a ludicrous thing to say.

The game is still 'amateur'. Players are paid outside the school. If they had started doing this in 1982 like they should have, and slowly set boundaries on it over the years, we wouldn't be here where everyone is freaking out because it's cascading so quickly now.

It will normalize eventually.

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022
Why is it not sustainable? Seems to be purring along just fine to me. I keep hearing people say that (mainly coaches) and I don't see why it wouldn't be. Boosters can quit paying anytime. Coaches are just pissed that they now have to earn their money?

The correct word is not unsustainable, it's 'silly'. It's silly that we have to pay coaches and players this much money. It really gets old hearing some of the dumb crap that comes out of these coaches' mouths these days, cocky pricks. Saban just said the other day that the fans don't contribute to what goes on on the field, just a ludicrous thing to say.

The game is still 'amateur'. Players are paid outside the school. If they had started doing this in 1982 like they should have, and slowly set boundaries on it over the years, we wouldn't be here where everyone is freaking out because it's cascading so quickly now.

It will normalize eventually.
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

Reactions: FQDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login