Least Watched MLB All Star Game in History:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I enjoyed what I saw of it. I mean it's still an exhibition game, but you can tell the players actually compete and want to win. Hitters want to hit - pitchers want to strike them out. Everyone there wants to show out a little.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I tried to watch it but couldn't find it. When I did find it said it had a 90 minute delay?

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I love the Braves and watch as many games as I can but I can't bring myself to watch the All-Star Game for whatever reason even with so many of them making it.

Edit to add: I can't watch any all-star games like the Pro Bowl, NBA, etc.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Still the most watched all star game of the big three. And they have no ones to blame but themselves after the strikes affected public sentiment for the game.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The last time I watched and All Star game I was shocked at how many players I had zero knowledge of.

That's mostly a me thing, but I've got a feeling some of these leagues are going to be dealing with the idea of declining revenues and salaries for maybe the first time.
I didn't recognize anybody. I quit watching after the last strike and the game is changed since the last time I tried to watch it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
And they have no ones to blame but themselves after the strikes affected public sentiment for the game.
The strike was in 1994 - if anyone is still upset about that, they probably need to go outside and touch some grass. In hindsight, NFL had already probably passed MLB by 1994 in terms of popularity, and even without the strike certainly would have anyhow.

The NBA's popularity is as a sport maxxed out in the Jordan era and today is largely driven by the reality tv/celebrity gossip aspect.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The strike was in 1994 - if anyone is still upset about that, they probably need to go outside and touch some grass. In hindsight, NFL had already probably passed MLB by 1994 in terms of popularity, and even without the strike certainly would have anyhow.

The NBA's popularity is as a sport maxxed out in the Jordan era and today is largely driven by the reality tv/celebrity gossip aspect.
Baseball's problem is it evolved into a long, slow game with a lot of wasted time. The new rules to speed up play have helped a lot. The one rule they need to get rid of is man on 2nd to start extra innings. I get that you want to limit marathon games, but I'd rather just set a 2 or 3 inning limit for extra innings and let it end in a tie if no one wins outright. Man on 2nd completely changes the fundamental game of baseball and distorts statistics.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Baseball's problem is it evolved into a long, slow game with a lot of wasted time. The new rules to speed up play have helped a lot. The one rule they need to get rid of is man on 2nd to start extra innings. I get that you want to limit marathon games, but I'd rather just set a 2 or 3 inning limit for extra innings and let it end in a tie if no one wins outright. Man on 2nd completely changes the fundamental game of baseball and distorts statistics.
I've never really been a tie-hater either, but boy do the vast majority of American sports fans hate it

Reactions: patdog

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I've never really been a tie-hater either, but boy do the vast majority of American sports fans hate it
Ha, I was about to reply to pat and say "How very European of you." For, I do indeed, hate a tie.

ETA: Runner on 2nd in extras is also terrible.

Reactions: dorndawg

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The vast majority of Americans don't enjoy kissing their sister either!

But you just keep getting your freak on, Dorn!

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010

People associated the CBA delay with a strike which happened last year. But yes, the popularity of the sport has been declining since the steroid era came to a close.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Free agency actually ruined me watching it (MLB baseball) years ago. There were suddenly very few players that stayed together w/ each other and w/ a team for many years, it just became a revolving door. At that point, I'm not interested in watching it for the sake of just watching "the Braves" or "the Yankees" , I was always pulling for players not a city. I foresee getting that way about college athletics too w/ transfers/NIL opening the same type revolving door.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Somewhere there's a happy medium between ending tie games at the end of regulation and having 74-72 7OT football games that last close to 5 hours. I think the NFL gets it about right in this.

Reactions: dorndawg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Cannot stand that stupid xtra innings rule.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The vast majority of Americans don't enjoy kissing their sister either!

But you just keep getting your freak on, Dorn!

Einstein Relativity GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I watched some…. Got to see Rooker’s ground rule double. But, the uniforms were hideous and I changed the channel not long after that.

Well damn, that shows how little attention I pay to MLB.

Had no idea Rooker was having an AS worthy season in Oakland. Great for him.

Reactions: eckie1

patdog

May 28, 2007

He was tearing it up in April, but apparently in a massive slump since then. Saw him Friday night at Fenway. He had some pretty bad at bats.

Reactions: She Mate Me

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Evidently no longer America's favorite pastime:

Least Watched MLB All Star Game in History
I always tune in for all star week, even watched some of the futures game. I only wish the HR derby would go back to the ‘10 outs’ style. It might take longer, but it’s funner to watch hitters be more picky and then absolutely crush the ball. The current style is more an endurance/cardio competition. A lot less 450-500 footers.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

I'm not still mad about the strike. Some of these players weren't alive during the strike. But the strike changed my view on spending hours watching MLB on tv. Once I got away from it, I just never felt the need to go back.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I actually watched this year from the 4-5 th inning. Thought it was a good game and not boring.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

To be fair, it was only “All-Star worthy” due to him being the best player on by far the worst team in baseball, and the commissioner’s office having to pick at least one player from every team. Even with the hot April, his stats weren’t nearly as good as several players that weren’t selected from other rosters (including another former Bulldog in Nate Lowe) and he had a recent slump that actually had him benched for several games.

But you know, there’s that joke about the guy that graduates at the bottom of his class in Medical School….

Last edited:

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I always tune in for all star week, even watched some of the futures game. I only wish the HR derby would go back to the ‘10 outs’ style. It might take longer, but it’s funner to watch hitters be more picky and then absolutely crush the ball. The current style is more an endurance/cardio competition. A lot less 450-500 footers.
My man!! 10 outs is the way, yes! HR Derby is so boring now to me. I hate that it's a timed thing because if your pitcher needs :30 to find a groove then the hitter is penalized. I hate the "extra time" you get if you hit two back to back in the same section of the stands or whatever it is. I hate how the players are seeded and paired against each other because you always get someone that hits 30 and would have won any other matchup except the one they're in. Let all 8 hit, top 4 advance, do it again, top 2 advance, etc.

Reactions: eckie1

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
To be fair, it was only “All-Star worthy” due to him being the best player on by far the worst team in baseball, and the commissioner’s office having to pick at least one player from every team.

But you know, there’s that joke about the guy that graduates at the bottom of his class in Medical School….

He wasn't chosen "due to him being the best player on by far the worst team in baseball, and the commissioner's office having to pick at least one player from every team".

He was chosen a "reserve" player and those are chosen by their peers from other teams, far from being appointed just because somebody had to do it.........That says to me he is looked upon by his peers as pretty damn good

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
My man!! 10 outs is the way, yes! HR Derby is so boring now to me. I hate that it's a timed thing because if your pitcher needs :30 to find a groove then the hitter is penalized. I hate the "extra time" you get if you hit two back to back in the same section of the stands or whatever it is. I hate how the players are seeded and paired against each other because you always get someone that hits 30 and would have won any other matchup except the one they're in. Let all 8 hit, top 4 advance, do it again, top 2 advance, etc.
Agree, the winner now almost comes down now to who has the best BP thrower. Julio’s pitcher was spot on and consistent,,,, while Alonso gets eliminated because his BP pitcher was up there accidentally painting corners.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
So I’m gonna address one of the elephants in the room by saying that if I hadn’t known better, I’d have looked at the MLB all star rosters last night and not known if they were MLB all stars or a Central American national team.

For the record, I’m not saying I don’t like it, that non-American citizens shouldn’t be in MLB or anything like that, so no one get crazy. I’m just saying it’s hard for me to connect with guys that suddenly land on a Giants roster after 20 years in the Dominican Republic and without any college or local youth baseball affiliation

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So I’m gonna address one of the elephants in the room by saying that if I hadn’t known better, I’d have looked at the MLB all star rosters last night and not known if they were MLB all stars or a Central American national team.

For the record, I’m not saying I don’t like it, that non-American citizens shouldn’t be in MLB or anything like that, so no one get crazy. I’m just saying it’s hard for me to connect with guys that suddenly land on a Giants roster after 20 years in the Dominican Republic and without any college or local youth baseball affiliation

Since you addressed it, see graphic below from MLB article I saw.

I agree with you some too because in years past you could watch a player grow in college, get drafted, play some in the minors and watch their progress and then see them get promoted. That is a lot less frequent now with the international flair the game has taken on in the last, what, 20-30 years?

"1689282043819.png

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Somewhere there's a happy medium between ending tie games at the end of regulation and having 74-72 7OT football games that last close to 5 hours. I think the NFL gets it about right in this.
NHL regular season games do it pretty well. If it’s tied after regulation, it’s a 3-on-3 sudden death scenario for 5 minutes, then a shootout. After that, it’s a tie. Each team gets 1 point towards their standings.

I don’t care so much about speeding up a regulation baseball game, but the extra innings can be way too long. I’d like to see the NFL adopt the college rules…. That would be some fun **** to see!

patdog

May 28, 2007
Since you addressed it, see graphic below from MLB article I saw.

I agree with you some too because in years past you could watch a player grow in college, get drafted, play some in the minors and watch their progress and then see them get promoted. That is a lot less frequent now with the international flair the game has taken on in the last, what, 20-30 years?

"View attachment 366188
Speaking of foreign players, one of the Red Sox players Friday was Yu Chang. I quickly decided his nickname was Yu Chang Clan.

• Haha
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He wasn't chosen "due to him being the best player on by far the worst team in baseball, and the commissioner's office having to pick at least one player from every team".

He was chosen a "reserve" player and those are chosen by their peers from other teams, far from being appointed just because somebody had to do it.........That says to me he is looked upon by his peers as pretty damn good

Stand corrected, and see he was the 2nd DH on the players ballot behind Ohtani. Not easy to find that info published for the reserves but I found an article. And I’m proud he made it, and he would have gotten it even without that ballot just because of the A’s sucking.

But its also still true that there were other players with better stats that didn’t get in. I hope his 2nd half favors his April and early May moreso than everything that’s happened since.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t know how many people are like me, but I’m boycotting until they adopt a bunting competition as part of the weekend festivities. **

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I once saw 3 or 4 tie games in person in about 2 weeks between State and Braves ST. I didn't mind, they were good games.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I have tried to watch some of the games recently, but I just can't get involved. Something seems to have changed in the style they are playing. I can't put my finger on it, but to me, it's different. It's possibly just me, but the games have a different feel in the game.

I did get into the basketball playoffs and enjoyed watching those games. I had abandoned basketball at the professional level. I was impressed with the type of game that Denver plays. Also interested to see if Miami overachieved or if they have figured things out within their team and will play better next season as they did in the playoffs

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login