Lebby interview with Andy Staples

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

Lebby is 1) confident and is 2) the co-creator of his offense that he’s successfully run at multiple schools.

These are two qualities that Mullen had and why I think Lebby can be successful here. Moorhead was confident but had no identity on offense. Arnett had neither quality. Leach had both, but was nearing his expiration date as a HC and was not the leader we needed in this modern age of football (just my opinion).

It’s been discussed at length that one of the qualities needed to be a HC at MSU is to have an identity on offense that can be replicated in Starkville. A key ingredient is having a HC that can maintain continuity offensively & run his stuff regardless of who his assistants are (because being a mid tier P5 program they will come & go.). He’s also a good recruiter. The biggest question mark is will he be able to find the right DC? This plagued Mullen as well. Time will tell.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The key for Lebby is going to be discipline. It's a necessity at MSU. That's what Moorhead didn't have, well, and the fact that his offense was too complicated for the players we usually get.

Mullen had discipline. Leach had discipline. That's why both were successful.

Arnett had it too, albeit he was a little too inexperienced. Unfortunately for him, he let his ego get too big and made that idiotic decision to change the offense.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The key for Lebby is going to be discipline. It's a necessity at MSU. That's what Moorhead didn't have, well, and the fact that his offense was too complicated for the players we usually get.

Mullen had discipline. Leach had discipline. That's why both were successful.

Arnett had it too, albeit he was a little too inexperienced. Unfortunately for him, he let his ego get too big and made that idiotic decision to change the offense.
Arnett was just lost altogether. He might make a good HC one day, but it was too soon for him.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
After rewatching some of the spring game, it was refreshing to see the backs had some gaping holes to run through. Now was that a product of the system, terrible defense, the not give a crap attitude of a spring game, who knows.

But it was encouraging to see some productivity there for the first time in several years.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Yes I think Lebby will be fine on offense. Probably won’t happen this year but got to play some D in order to be any good as I’m sure he knows.

Reactions: dog99walker

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Arnett was just lost altogether. He might make a good HC one day, but it was too soon for him.
Lots of people out there that want to be the CEO and make that $$$ until they actually get a chance to do it. Some are built for it, other aren't, and I think Arnett was clearly the latter

Reactions: eckie1 and patdog

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I like the Coach Lebby understands that today’s team can be built by the portal. This attitude can win at MSU. And I do believe that disciple can be a problem pulling in players who transfer. Honestly, it’s what destroyed Art Briles career. I hope he learned this lesson enough to keep MSU out of the negative news.

Reactions: eckie1

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I like the Coach Lebby understands that today’s team can be built by the portal. This attitude can win at MSU. And I do believe that disciple can be a problem pulling in players who transfer. Honestly, it’s what destroyed Art Briles career. I hope he learned this lesson enough to keep MSU out of the negative news.
He's been very vocal that our approach will be high school recruiting and supplemental portal recruits. We will not be going all-in on the portal a la UM. We only took as many portal recruits this year because we had to shore up several spots to compete.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I can’t see Arnett ever being a good head coach. His one year was spectacularly bad.
We took him away from his only competency. It was a terrible decision. And, now, we will never have him as a DC again and he may never recover from his disastrous season as HC.

Thanks, Keenum.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login