Lebby on Greg McElroy's show...

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
He seems like a great guy. He seems like a real dude, and a guy that you would love to hang out with. That being said, all he did was use a bunch of coaching buzz words and tell GM that we are still going to be blue collar.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
All the SPS'rs that didn't like the hire will stick to their guns, berate him regardless, find fault and likely assign a derogatory childish nickname?
I'm going with Lezzy/Lazzy, or Lebtard.

But my money is on him being a very good coach for us. Unfortunately, he's going to have to have some combination of wins and noticeable improvement to build his program and stick around for more than 3 years. And I hope he can.

But he can't do too well or you know what happens, he'll start phoning it in when November rolls around.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I like the hire but I thought the last guy would work out better than he did so I guess we'll see. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's got this fall though.

ETA: I'm not a huge Greg McElroy fan, but that was a pretty decent interview.

Last edited:

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
All the SPS'rs that didn't like the hire will stick to their guns, berate him regardless, find fault and likely assign a derogatory childish nickname?
I'm still thinking we shoulda gone HC experience and I worry about the time it took and who we ended up with at DC. Hopefully Lebby's good offensive mind can make the most out of our current talent which IMO will require a hurry up and unpredictable style.

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm still thinking we shoulda gone HC experience and I worry about the time it took and who we ended up with at DC. Hopefully Lebby's good offensive mind can make the most out of our current talent which IMO will require a hurry up and unpredictable style.
Like nearly every season that I've been a fan of MSU, and in the words of the better than average except always job shopping Dan Mullen..."Nobody knows what is about to take this field!"

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He seems like a great guy. He seems like a real dude, and a guy that you would love to hang out with. That being said, all he did was use a bunch of coaching buzz words and tell GM that we are still going to be blue collar.
Perhaps indicates hope? When I think of the most obscure, non informative when questioned, coaches I think of Bear, Saban, Spurrier, Sherrill...maybe coachspeak is good? All I know is we are currently undefeated!

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
So from reading many comments since Lebby's hire, he may be bad, and that would suck. He could be ok and that's alright. If he's a little better than good that would be bad because he will get poached. So our best hope is we win by 1 point and win 6 so we don't lose our coach and can go to a bowl game and win by 1 point so we don't lose our coach. Sounds like I found the right group of State fans. Continue forward at a slow pace gentlemen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Like nearly every season that I've been a fan of MSU, and in the words of the better than average except always job shopping Dan Mullen..."Nobody knows what is about to take this field!"
Most accurate assessment of our football coach yet. We don’t have a clue if this is a great hire or a bad one. We’ll know more in 5-17 months.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Perhaps indicates hope? When I think of the most obscure, non informative when questioned, coaches I think of Bear, Saban, Spurrier, Sherrill...maybe coachspeak is good? All I know is we are currently undefeated!
I do not disagree with you at all. All he has to sell right now is hope, and he’s doing a good job of that. I hope he stays undefeated, as we all do.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Well, Horsack is right. The haters on this board are consistently negative. Fortunately, if they are on this board all this ‘fire him’ and ‘he’s garbage’ is just wasted bluster, and doesn’t mean b-doodle.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The powers that be will not allow us to have sustained success. Any steps we take forward will be countered by constantly having to replace staff as they are poached by the haves. The best we can hope for is one good season just before we hit critical mass of losing staff or players to other schools.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
The chest thumping on this board at 830 at night on August 31 about how we ran up a whopping 468 yards of offense on eastern Kentucky will cause all the should-be-still genespage crew to exclaim we are back.....baby.

Don't worry if anyone is taking it with a grain of salt.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I do not disagree with you at all. All he has to sell right now is hope, and he’s doing a good job of that. I hope he stays undefeated, as we all do.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Well, Horsack is right. The haters on this board are consistently negative. Fortunately, if they are on this board all this ‘fire him’ and ‘he’s garbage’ is just wasted bluster, and doesn’t mean b-doodle.
Do you guys have an example of when it hasn't been warranted? No one is saying to fire Jans. No one wanted to fire Shaeffer. If there was anyone that wanted to fire Mullen or even Leach, it was a vocal minority.

I know that some of y'all(and some of this administration) has a real problem with accountability once an individual dons the maroon and white, but the fact is that these guys/gals are the highest paid officials on campus, and they're here to perform a job. When they don't, it hurts many aspects of the school that we all love, and the majority have no problem hitting the road for a bigger paycheck, so I really don't understand where this devotion comes from at times.

Just looking at our current/recent coaches

Arnett - Was entirely overwhelmed and checked out by mid-season. Very deserving to be fired
Lebby - Win 6, and he'll be fine. 4-5, and yeah... there will be some criticism, but welcome to the SEC. We expect more
Jans - Like any coach, he's going to receive some criticism during the season at times, but he's doing fine. No one's screaming to fire a coach that keeps making NCAA tournaments which is a pretty reasonable, low bar for an SEC fanbase
Howland - Good recruiter, but he just couldn't ever get any of his teams to mesh in 6 seasons. Again, deserved criticism
Lemonis - The mistake here is thinking that people want him fired for last season. The detractors still believe that he should've been fired after the prior 2, and going 1-2 on the road in a regional doesn't change that

And just to throw Selmon in the ring for good measure... His primary job is to ensure that we have a strong, competitive athletic budget and to make sure that we have strong leadership for our various sports, but with a huge emphasis on football. If Lebby works out, he'll reap the rewards of that decision much like Byrne did with Mullen. If he doesn't, he'll be criticized, and rightfully so. Simple as that

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Great quote, but I'm pretty comfortable in thinking that while Mullen's quote was an understatement for the ages, Lebby will not be so prophetic.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It isn't just State. 3 of 4 playoff teams lost their coach. ITs a college football problem.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login