Lebby opinion...

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Saw this quote from Lebby regarding the Sh*tshowtime on Saturday night.

"There is great disappointment in how we played and how we coached,” Lebby said. “It affects our entire state, fanbase and energy pumped inside our community. We need to find a way to get back on track and put a really good product on the field."
Glad he's is at least observant?
Louis Litt Genius GIF by Suits

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Lebby was dealt a very bad hand due to the lack of recruiting/bad evaluations of previous coaches and Cohen-Bracky-Keenum’s bad decision making. This combined with not getting onboard with NIL early have put us in a very deep hole before Lebby took over. We didn’t even have the foundation for a rebuild and I really don’t think the results would be no different no matter who took over as coach.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I don’t know what to say, he gets here and there was such a bad job of roster development that he had to build a team from portal. It was always a possibility it imploded and with our schedule it was likely.

now what? Lebby may or may not be the guy but this year? I don’t know how to tell if he is part of problem or solution. There is just too much bad to go ‘round.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I bet when he plays fantasy football, he only drafts wide receivers, every round. He probably would be a championship coach in 7 on 7 flag football too.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I bet when he plays fantasy football, he only drafts wide receivers, every round. He probably would be a championship coach in 7 on 7 flag football too.
He came in and recruited better at WR than the previous coach who ONLY recruited WR and QB and had to fill potholes in every other position left by the previous 2 coaches who failed at recruiting.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Lebby was dealt a very bad hand due to the lack of recruiting/bad evaluations of previous coaches and Cohen-Bracky-Keenum’s bad decision making. This combined with not getting onboard with NIL early have put us in a very deep hole before Lebby took over. We didn’t even have the foundation for a rebuild and I really don’t think the results would be no different no matter who took over as coach.
You're not wrong, but we could at least look like we know how to line up on defense.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
Agree. The amount of time taken to hire a DC and the quality of said DC's hired have dare I say not helped in the least. Add to that, we haven't recruited the defensive side of the ball well in 4/5 years doesn't help either. I don't believe any head coach would make a meaningful difference in the outcome of this year.

I just hope that when it comes to it, the ones making the calls have the stones to do what should be done.

Reactions: Bullldawg78

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
You're not wrong, but we could at least look like we know how to line up on defense.
Hutzler was a big mistake but you're about to see guys hit the road on that defense that need to be gone. I'd say more than 1/3 of our roster needs to be gone ASAP! Just about anyone that came in a FR and is a 3rd year roster guy and not playing can go too.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He was dealt an awful hand. I think the ceiling for any coach this year would have been 6-6. But as bad as the hand he was dealt, he’s playing it poorly. The lack of preparation & effort the last 2 games falls squarely on this coaching staff.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's my thing, I'm not big on recruiting rankings but we do out recruit teams like Toledo. Now, we have to take what we have and coach them up and line them up and motivate them. I expected *** kickings by sec teams this year not our g5 teams. Croom and end of Jackie never got beat down like we did Saturday by g-5. Did we lose to g5? Sure but never like that. Saturday looked like a game against lsu or auburn when they are good.

Lebby was hired to coach these guys up plain and simple. I'm seeing a lot of mistakes that first time guys make. But question is can he figure out the problem and fix it. Some of this I don't think is fixed til the end of the season. Also will be hard to fix if we don't improve and got 2-10. Needs to dig deep and coach these guys up. But 3 games in our line is soft we can't run on anyone. Our dline can't stop anyone. So, unless he can scheme around it, I see more of the same.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He was dealt an awful hand. I think the ceiling for any coach this year would have been 6-6. But as bad as the hand he was dealt, he’s playing it poorly. The lack of preparation & effort the last 2 games falls squarely on this coaching staff.
Saban couldn't get this team to 6-6. 4 was the ceiling we just got caught up in the hope of the season.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I don't believe that. Not at all. He might have lost some games. But he would be getting the most out of the talent he has . Lebby needs to do the same. There is a difference between losing and getting run off the field
I don't give a **** what you believe. This is the least talent on an MSU roster in close to 40 years. Leach and Arnett left nothing here but trouble. The portal had little in it for us too, especially OL.
Our previous coaches buried this program. And we haven't even hit the bottom yet.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't give a **** what you believe. This is the least talent on an MSU roster in close to 40 years. Leach and Arnett left nothing here but trouble. The portal had little in it for us too, especially OL.
Our previous coaches buried this program. And we haven't even hit the bottom yet.
You carry water better than Rosebowl.

Facts are, a big portion of our fanbase just has tunnel vision about the way things should be done, and you don't want to try anything different. Leach was different and you hated him for it, even though it worked and the talent he left was not bad (mid-20s ranked recruiting classes). Lebby ran them off and didn't replace them. Another fact is, Leach left pretty good squads at Texas Tech and Wazzou, this need for a rebuild everywhere is being made up by the mouthbreathers who don't know or understand anything outside of our little Mississippi bubble.

That said....what Leach did NOT do was leave us some defensive studs - that I will admit. But he did not leave us devoid of talent over there. But you're going to continue to push the narrative because it makes you feel better about our shltty situation, and of course, because you hated Leach for upsetting the established order.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Fair take. I think that regardless of what kind of coach Lebby is going to turn into, you have to give him a few years to build. I fully understand that reloading via the portal annually is a thing, however, lack of stability at the coaching position and a mid-tier program with a coaching trigger finger will not be attractive for anyone of note, if Lebby does not pan out. We will be sitting here with the same people asking why we didn't just go get our pick of the litter via a nationwide search when that might not even be a remote possibility.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Fair take. I think that regardless of what kind of coach Lebby is going to turn into, you have to give him a few years to build. I fully understand that reloading via the portal annually is a thing, however, lack of stability at the coaching position and a mid-tier program with a coaching trigger finger will not be attractive for anyone of note, if Lebby does not pan out. We will be sitting here with the same people asking why we didn't just go get our pick of the litter via a nationwide search when that might not even be a remote possibility.
Thing is you got to show signs of life in year one to attract those transfers and recruits got to give them something to buy into. Nobody is gonna buy into showtime if we struggle to score points against non sec teams. Gonna be hard to score points without a line to block worth a dang. Gonna be hard to win period if we can't stop anyone. So I'm hoping they figure some things out and improve over this year or you are looking at a croom type tenure.

Reactions: Gooserip

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You carry water better than Rosebowl.

Facts are, a big portion of our fanbase just has tunnel vision about the way things should be done, and you don't want to try anything different. Leach was different and you hated him for it, even though it worked and the talent he left was not bad (mid-20s ranked recruiting classes). Lebby ran them off and didn't replace them. Another fact is, Leach left pretty good squads at Texas Tech and Wazzou, this need for a rebuild everywhere is being made up by the mouthbreathers who don't know or understand anything outside of our little Mississippi bubble.

That said....what Leach did NOT do was leave us some defensive studs - that I will admit. But he did not leave us devoid of talent over there. But you're going to continue to push the narrative because it makes you feel better about our shltty situation, and of course, because you hated Leach for upsetting the established order.
Wont beat the dead horse but this is wrong.

Leach recrutied parts to the team that only he could use correctly. Both coaches that replaced leach and attempted to rebuild the program after Leach left made it less than 3 years before either being fired or resigning at Wazzou and Texas Tech... can now add MSU into that mix.

Facts show that the guy after Leach was not successful.. and this is in 3 different conferences and 3 different schools.... these facts alone show there is a leach hangover and leach effect.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Thing is you got to show signs of life in year one to attract those transfers and recruits got to give them something to buy into. Nobody is gonna buy into showtime if we struggle to score points against non sec teams. Gonna be hard to score points without a line to block worth a dang. Gonna be hard to win period if we can't stop anyone. So I'm hoping they figure some things out and improve over this year or you are looking at a croom type tenure.
It is a mess. I can see more ways to screw up the situation further than to get it right. Hoping Lebby can at least figure out how to get the O-line blocking well enough to be competent on offense to attract players on that side of the ball. I just can't help but think another one and done is not going to help matters. If he tells us to kick rocks after the Egg Bowl, however, I say fire the guy!

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
We can talk coaches but the Jimmys and Joes are greater than X and O That said I would have wanted Troy’s coach ove Lebby and Hustler wasn’t ready he made a big mistake. He needs an overhaul on D

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Wont beat the dead horse but this is wrong.

Leach recrutied parts to the team that only he could use correctly. Both coaches that replaced leach and attempted to rebuild the program after Leach left made it less than 3 years before either being fired or resigning at Wazzou and Texas Tech... can now add MSU into that mix.

Facts show that the guy after Leach was not successful.. and this is in 3 different conferences and 3 different schools.... these facts alone show there is a leach hangover and leach effect.
You’re being a little misleading. Nick Rolovich took over for Leach at Washington State and was only fired in the middle of his second season because he refused to take a Covid shot. He had a 4-3 record at the time of his firing. Wazzu only played four games in 2020 (went 1-3) so I won’t even count that against him. Washington State has been pretty good, for them, since Leach left. Had a winning record and bowl appearance every year except for last year when they went 5-7. They are currently 3-0 and just beat Washington. Somehow they were able to recover from Leach “burying the program” by running an offense that not many others run.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You’re being a little misleading. Nick Rolovich took over for Leach at Washington State and was only fired in the middle of his second season because he refused to take a Covid shot. He had a 4-3 record at the time of his firing. Wazzu only played four games in 2020 (went 1-3) so I won’t even count that against him. Washington State has been pretty good, for them, since Leach left. Had a winning record and bowl appearance every year except for last year when they went 5-7. They are currently 3-0 and just beat Washington. Somehow they were able to recover from Leach “burying the program” by running an offense that not many others run.
Im really not--- washington state went 1-3, 7-6, 7-6, 5-7 since leach was fired... thats 20-22 in 4 seasons. Count the 3 wins this year its only 23-22.

I didnt say leach buried the program. I said there is a ripple effect which there is one, now in year 5 i would assume they start to turn a corner espeically since they are no longer in the p5

if you call the above pretty good.. then we have different ideas of pretty good.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We can talk coaches but the Jimmys and Joes are greater than X and O That said I would have wanted Troy’s coach ove Lebby and Hustler wasn’t ready he made a big mistake. He needs an overhaul on D
Summerall had a chance to make his own staff at Troy and learn. Lebby is learning right now and in the SEC of today that's fatal if you make wrong choices. See Arnett. Mullen made several of the right ones. Why because he came in with urban at several stops and started rebuilding. Lebby most all those programs were built well when he came in and was only there for a year or two. Been a while since he was at Baylor under Art building that program. We can only hope he learns quickly

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
We're all mad because we suck. The people who always hated Leach will blame him because they are still butthurt someone tried football different than their grandfather did it. The people who have always hated Keenum will blame him. The people who didn't like the Selmon hire will blame him. Doesn't really matter. This is what Lebby signed up for. Turn it around.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Summerall had a chance to make his own staff at Troy and learn. Lebby is learning right now and in the SEC of today that's fatal if you make wrong choices. See Arnett. Mullen made several of the right ones. Why because he came in with urban at several stops and started rebuilding. Lebby most all those programs were built well when he came in and was only there for a year or two. Been a while since he was at Baylor under Art building that program. We can only hope he learns quickly
Mullen fired his DC year one. He had to make changes too. He had an OC he sent packing too. But he never got rid of some of the guys he should have.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The irony there. Year 5 post leach a lot of changes to that program since leach left, and beat a leach QB. Maybe we will be in the same spot in year 5. Hopefully not in a dying conference. They really didn't have an Arnett though. They did better with their follow up hire to ease transition.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Mullen fired his DC year one. He had to make changes too. He had an OC he sent packing too. But he never got rid of some of the guys he should have.
That's true he did. But Torbush better than hutzler. He also had some really good defensive recruits that class coming in which he emphasize. Instead of receiver. Dan was the OC which he ran an offense that Lee and Ralph could run. One that made Boobie look good. We actually had a pretty decent oline under Hevesy that year after they looked bad the year before.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Lebby ran them off and didn't replace them.
Who did Lebby run off?
Of the 20 leading tacklers from a mediocre-bad defense, 18 either graduated or are still on the roster. One went to USC and the other left last week.

Of the players that did leave, the best I can tell Will James has 12 tackles at DB for Southern (behind a player that left state before 2023). Everyone else has 6 tackles, 0 for loss between 7 other players at USM, Miami OH, South Alabama. 1 from from front 7 players. It looks like most of those guys aren’t even playing for G5 teams.

On offense, we know why Will left, who can blame Marks for spending his senior year in So Cal winning, or Zavion. Justin Robinson didn’t do much while he was hear but has 2 TDs for WV. I don’t have stats for OL so I can’t speak to that, but really did we want to keep a bunch of guys on a team that averaged 20 PPG?

To your point about Leach’s recruiting classes. The only 4 star defensive players that signed between 2021-2024 are still on the team.

Reactions: patdog

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Who did Lebby run off?
Of the 20 leading tacklers from a mediocre-bad defense, 18 either graduated or are still on the roster. One went to USC and the other left last week.

Of the players that did leave, the best I can tell Will James has 12 tackles at DB for Southern (behind a player that left state before 2023). Everyone else has 6 tackles, 0 for loss between 7 other players at USM, Miami OH, South Alabama. 1 from from front 7 players. It looks like most of those guys aren’t even playing for G5 teams.

On offense, we know why Will left, who can blame Marks for spending his senior year in So Cal winning, or Zavion. Justin Robinson didn’t do much while he was hear but has 2 TDs for WV. I don’t have stats for OL so I can’t speak to that, but really did we want to keep a bunch of guys on a team that averaged 20 PPG?

To your point about Leach’s recruiting classes. The only 4 star defensive players that signed between 2021-2024 are still on the team.

Sir, this is SPS where we eschew facts for wild hot takes and gnashing of teeth.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
That's true he did. But Torbush better than hutzler. He also had some really good defensive recruits that class coming in which he emphasize. Instead of receiver. Dan was the OC which he ran an offense that Lee and Ralph could run. One that made Boobie look good. We actually had a pretty decent oline under Hevesy that year after they looked bad the year before.
Les Koenning was the OC think he was around two years maybe?? Can't remember

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login