Lemonis: Evaluating

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Serious question: How do you start someone on opening day (Downs) and then he doesnt touch the field for the next 4 at all?

So you thought enough about a guy to start him opening day. He goes 1 for 4 with 3K. But the performance is not revelant. Obviously others have performed jsut as badly if not worse and they keep going out there.....

But how do you evaluate someone and say this guy is a opening day starter for me... after 1 game.. banish him to the bench for the next 4 games? really weird thing to do, and makes you wonder what lemonis saw to start him in the first place, then what he saw to move to the end of the bench while others continue to wail away and fail.

Disclaimer: That i'm not vouching for Downs or the type talent he is or isnt.

Reactions: patdog

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
It’s a good point but Downs has never created any momentum of his own. How hard is it to stand out among the crowd for Downs, Stevens, McKenzie, O’Brien, etc ? And why the blue hell do we play Highfill at DH ? He might as well be swinging a bat from the barrel end.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It’s a good point but Downs has never created any momentum of his own. How hard is it to stand out among the crowd for Downs, Stevens, McKenzie, O’Brien, etc ? And why the blue hell do we play Highfill at DH ? He might as well be swinging a bat from the barrel end.
oh yes, i wasnt advocating for Downs or really anyone at this point. Honestly I was shocked downs was in there opening day, just my personal opinion, i dont think hes that good to begin with...

but from lemonis and evaluating....Just not sure how you evaluated someone good enough to be a starter on opening day.. then banish him to the bench. I mean he hasnt even gotten a pinch hit at-bat

Reactions: TNDawg1

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Probably just giving the vet upperclassmen the first chance to win the job amongst a group of players with little to no separation.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We've got Spalitta on the pine who was one of the most consistent hitters all fall and spring. But we sent K Daddy Ross to DH? Lemonis has always rode his older guys and not managed a damn thing. His fat *** sits on his bucket while his hitting coach is beating his chest and his little Edam shaped Cheese is running guys into outs.
The man does NOTHING!

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Serious question: How do you start someone on opening day (Downs) and then he doesnt touch the field for the next 4 at all?

So you thought enough about a guy to start him opening day. He goes 1 for 4 with 3K. But the performance is not revelant. Obviously others have performed jsut as badly if not worse and they keep going out there.....

But how do you evaluate someone and say this guy is a opening day starter for me... after 1 game.. banish him to the bench for the next 4 games? really weird thing to do, and makes you wonder what lemonis saw to start him in the first place, then what he saw to move to the end of the bench while others continue to wail away and fail.

Disclaimer: That i'm not vouching for Downs or the type talent he is or isnt.
He went 1-4......Small sample size but that's almost double what the bottom five are hitting thru 5 games..........

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Valid question, and I asked the following question last season as well, but between evaluating, developing, and making in game decisions, is there anything that Lemonis is doing well? Then, if the answer is no to all three of those questions, then what exactly are we paying him $1.25M to do?

I get it... we're beating an absolutely dead horse, but that horse was long dead last season and it just 17ing pisses me off that we're still here with clubs in hand because no one was willing to make a move.

Reactions: PhredPhantom
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login