Lemonis has a big chance to win back the fanbase this weekend, I would think......

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Would go a long way if we could smoke these fools in front of record crowds. Beating Bama was a great step in the right direction, but I feel like folks are still pretty neutral.

On the other hand, if they smoke us...........wow.
2 of 3 from the perennial slump buster is a good start to a run. Now, let's see if they grow a pair. Take the series from the pretentious pieces of s h i t and things get interesting.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I feel it must be at a minimum 2 of 3 this weekend. Only winning 1 would keep me disappointed. Winning 3 and I would feel encouraged that maybe, we've turned the corner. However, with a murderer's row coming up, it still may be difficult even if we sweep OM. Hopefully, UT continues to wander a bit when we go visit them and @LSU is downright foreboding. If we get out of RedStick with one win, I would feel ok.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I feel it must be at a minimum 2 of 3 this weekend. Only winning 1 would keep me disappointed. Winning 3 and I would feel encouraged that maybe, we've turned the corner. However, with a murderer's row coming up, it still may be difficult even if we sweep OM. Hopefully, UT continues to wander a bit when we go visit them and @LSU is downright foreboding. If we get out of RedStick with one win, I would feel ok.
No doubt, we don't win the series it's going to be rough. And it should be. I'm not one of those fatalistic types who gets hung up on one weekend, but we need to beat these guys at home, on SBW no less. Ole Miss isn't that great and are without their ace. You know exactly who their best players are and can neutralize them.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I think neutral is on the optimistic side of things. Congrats to the team for the series win this weekend, but it hasn’t exactly made me forget that we dropped 19 of the prior 20.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We've shown to be able to hit non-upper tier pitching. With the ole miss staff lacking their ace, nothing short of 2 of 3 is a success.

Still very average team, with very average talent, but would expect us to play better and compete well against the middle portion of the sec schedule/teams, etc. Ole miss qualifies as very middle tier. The upper tier teams will still expose us and we will likely not win a series against any of those teams

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Would go a long way if we could smoke these fools in front of record crowds. Beating Bama was a great step in the right direction, but I feel like folks are still pretty neutral.

The next 6 are critical bc OM and Auburn are not good. Both lost their Friday guys. Auburns staff is horrible (they weren’t great last year either so please scratch Butch off any hot boards). And OM cant hit at all which is shocking. There is a pretty nice size portion of the league that is just flat bad right now and that’s all that’s giving us a chance. Bama is terrible

But after these two weekends there are not a lot of wins left on the sec schedule.

looking at SEC only stats it’s wierd thag we are top half or top third in most meaningful offensive metrics——except runs/RBIs. That was the case last year but that was explained a lot by our K numbers. This year we are striking out less than anyone. Just strange.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think neutral is on the optimistic side of things. Congrats to the team for the series win this weekend, but it hasn’t exactly made me forget that we dropped 19 of the prior 20.
Yup. I'm still concerned about the pitching and even more so the defense. I feel ok about our young guys hitting. If we were playing decent defense, I'd think we just have a pitching coach problem. But ****** defense, especially from formerly reliable players, just smells like an overall program problem. Something just hasn't been right.

But I agree if we win the series this weekend, and manage to at least be competitive and cut out all the run rule games against the more difficult stretch of the schedule, I'd start to think maybe it's fixable. Not sure that even qualifies as neutral, but at least there would be hope.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I feel like when you’re playing a 2-10 SEC team at home, you have to be disappointed with anything less than a sweep.

That being said, I’m not seeing this “murderer’s row”. UT and Auburn are sub-.500 teams right now who have had their own struggles all season. Murderer’s row has already happened.

We need to pick up 6 or 7 wins in these next 9 games to feel good about things having turned around. Wouldn’t be a death blow if we only win 5, but we’d really be behind the 8 ball heading into the LSU / Ark series. Anything less than 5, and you can probably stick a fork in us….we’d be 7-14 at best heading into LSU-Ark-A&M, and needing to do no worse than 6-3 in the final 9 games. 13-17 is the mark that gets you a regional if you’re an SEC team with a high RPI and strong nonconference schedule. Big, big difference between 13-17 and 12-18.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg and Fang1

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We've shown to be able to hit non-upper tier pitching. With the ole miss staff lacking their ace, nothing short of 2 of 3 is a success.
Nobody can hit upper tier pitching, that's why it's upper tier. The difference in us and those teams, is that we don't have anyone to match up with said upper tier pitcher.

Still very average team, with very average talent, but would expect us to play better and compete well against the middle portion of the sec schedule/teams, etc. Ole miss qualifies as very middle tier. The upper tier teams will still expose us and we will likely not win a series against any of those teams
Which is all we need to do this year - fight and not finish dead last. That buys another year to see if they can develop the younger, actually-talented pitchers. And yes, I do think Foxhall will be here.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Which is all we need to do this year - fight and not finish dead last. That buys another year to see if they can develop the younger, actually-talented pitchers. And yes, I do think Foxhall will be here.
We need to do better than not finish dead last. We need to win at least 10 SEC games for this season not to be a complete disaster. Even that would still be a major disappointment, but I could maybe see not firing Lemonis if he wins 10. Maybe.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I get the point, but no, not all teams get blown away by elite level pitching. The top tier teams have guys that can hit it and have hit it this season. Agree though, we dont have anyone to match up with it.

We'll finish up middle of the pack. The east is better than the west this year. Tenn record isnt good and may get worse as they still have to go to arkansas and play vandy before they get to play us. But they are still clearly better than we are. UT, LSU, Ark will all handle us. We have to make ground now these next two weeks.

This 3 week stretch (Bama, OM, AU) will determine this staff and this seasons fate. Good start getting 2 of 3. Think 5-4 is whats required but 6-3 would lighten the pressure. Anything less than 5-4, and the seat will get hot for good reason.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

A portion of the fan base wanted to fire him the season after winning the National Championship. I’m sure a weekend series win of the reigning champs will win them over**

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
A portion of the fan base wanted to fire him the season after winning the National Championship. I’m sure a weekend series win of the reigning champs will win them over**

One thing is for sure, it looks like the national championship hangover for programs who have previously never been there isn’t just an old wives tale. Its very real. Mike Bianco appears to be headed for what would be by far his worst ever season in 26 years as a head coach the year after winning it all. That should tell you something.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Actually he has an opportunity to try to start a new direction but only start it. I don't think he can save this season. Sorry. Like someone said above it would take a "Major League" turnaround to even begin considering a discussion of changing my idea of our coaching.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

Alabama is a really bad team. And they're always a really bad team. Not really a breakout series win. It's a series win, though, none the less. If we drop two of three this weekend, it won't be a pleasant end to the season

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
One thing is for sure, it looks like the national championship hangover for programs who have previously never been there isn’t just an old wives tale. Its very real. Mike Bianco appears to be headed for what would be by far his worst ever season in 26 years as a head coach the year after winning it all. That should tell you something.
Actually Ole Miss has been thru the gaunlet a lot like we have. Theyve had a rough schedule to open sec play, florida/vandy/arkansas, AND a lot like us, they lost their ace game 1 into the season and had to adjust on the fly.

They too have shown the ability to hit average pitching and dont have any top tier arms to match against other sec teams.

This is very much a series I'm sure they are rallying around as well. Glad its in Starkville

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Actually Ole Miss has been thru the gaunlet a lot like we have. Theyve had a rough schedule to open sec play, florida/vandy/arkansas, AND a lot like us, they lost their ace game 1 into the season and had to adjust on the fly.

They too have shown the ability to hit average pitching and dont have any top tier arms to match against other sec teams.

This is very much a series I'm sure they are rallying around as well. Glad its in Starkville

Yeah but this isn’t Bianco’s first go round (or second, or maybe even third) with losing an ace. And as far as I know, he’s all they lost. Still been a historically bad start for their team under his tenure, and maybe even further back than his tenure as well.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Alabama is a really bad team. And they're always a really bad team. Not really a breakout series win. It's a series win, though, none the less. If we drop two of three this weekend, it won't be a pleasant end to the season
I couldn't believe it when they were saying Bama was projected as a #2 seed Saturday. They'll be lucky to make the tournament at all.

Reactions: ababyatemydingo

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah but this isn’t Bianco’s first go round (or second, or maybe even third) with losing an ace. And as far as I know, he’s all they lost. Still been a historically bad start for their team under his tenure, and maybe even further back than his tenure as well.
Yeah, Mississippi is a complete mystery to me why they're where they are. I keep thinking, Bianco has never had a truly bad season, so he'll get it turned around. Now, I'm beginning to wonder.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
They lost all 3 weekend arms from last years team.

They had a good pre-sec scheduling. winning 3 of 4 from #12 ranked maryland. Beating USM whose ranked and sweeping purdue. Only real bad loss was Jax State beforing traveling to vandy.

They ran into a pretty good ban-saw when sec opened. At vandy opening weekend, then a flroida series where they were forced to play a DH. They lost all 6.

They finish their confernece schedule with UGA, Auburn, Alabama, and Mizzou. I'm sure they feel a lot like we do. This weekend and a favorable schedule down the stretch gets them in being the defending champs

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Welp, here come your biased takes. It's starting to become apparent who the mouth-breathing hot-takers are, and the ones who are thinking logically about this situation. The separation is apparent.

Alabama is the #22 RPI team, and have beaten most everybody in front of them. At minimum, they are NOT "a really bad team". Not to mention people who work in the field were projecting them highly in the NCAA field. Guess they are idiots, and our mouth-breathers know better?

The entire SEC is good, and us and Alabama are just at the bottom of said good league.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I couldn't believe it when they were saying Bama was projected as a #2 seed Saturday. They'll be lucky to make the tournament at all.
I think they’re about the same as they usually are. They’re not great but I also don’t think they completely suck. Still 23-10 with a Top 25 RPI. Winning two from them on the road is commendable.

Yeah, Mississippi is a complete mystery to me why they're where they are. I keep thinking, Bianco has never had a truly bad season, so he'll get it turned around. Now, I'm beginning to wonder.
Hard to say but they opened with a brutal conference schedule. The back half of their schedule a lot lighter and it wouldn’t shock me if they make a run to turn it around.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The thing about this weekend is even with a sweep we’d still just be 6-9 in SEC play with a lot of ground to make up. A series loss here for either team makes it almost impossible to imagine them making the NCAAT.

So essentially, the loser is basically done for this season in all likelihood and the winner just kinda holds their ground for now.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They lost all 3 weekend arms from last years team.

So did we in 2022, but we also lost our closer, one of the replacement arms for those 2021 starters, and our best middle relief arm midseason.

They had a good pre-sec scheduling. winning 3 of 4 from #12 ranked maryland. Beating USM whose ranked and sweeping purdue. Only real bad loss was Jax State beforing traveling to vandy.

Their NC SOS is currently #123. Not terrible but by no means great. MSU’s is at #67, and people on here certainly didn’t think much of our pre-SEC schedule.

They ran into a pretty good ban-saw when sec opened. At vandy opening weekend, then a flroida series where they were forced to play a DH. They lost all 6.

Again, same for us, but our bandsaw was worse. We played 3 of the current Top 4 in the league standings.

They finish their confernece schedule with UGA, Auburn, Alabama, and Mizzou. I'm sure they feel a lot like we do. This weekend and a favorable schedule down the stretch gets them in being the defending champs

We will see. UGA just took 2 of 3 from Kentucky. The other 3 can beat them too and are all ahead of them in the standings, some with similarly difficult schedules. I stand by the fact that they look to be pretty bad, and I certainly don’t expect them to make a regional at this time.

I think whoever loses the series this weekend is done. OM ain’t coming back from 3-12 or 2-13. Don’t see us coming back from 4-11 or 3-12 either. Very critical series. And it makes me nervous that its on Super Bulldog Weekend, when we almost always play like hammered catshit no matter how good we are.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Welp, here come your biased takes. It's starting to become apparent who the mouth-breathing hot-takers are, and the ones who are thinking logically about this situation. The separation is apparent.

Alabama is the #22 RPI team, and have beaten most everybody in front of them. At minimum, they are NOT "a really bad team". Not to mention people who work in the field were projecting them highly in the NCAA field. Guess they are idiots, and our mouth-breathers know better?

The entire SEC is good, and us and Alabama are just at the bottom of said good league.

Alabama's not a really bad team. But they played the worst non conference schedule in the league and one of the weakest in the nation. Have been to one regional in 6 years and I'm not sure anyone had them "highly" in any field. Their RPI is high b/c they played upper tier SEC schools to start the season.

Agree the sec is good 8-9 bid league for sure. A lot of the mid-tier teams play each other down the stretch and it'll play out on the field. MSU/OM/Bama/AU/TxAM/UGA

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And it makes me nervous that its on Super Bulldog Weekend, when we almost always play like hammered catshit no matter how good we are.
Ain't this the truth. I'm sure we have won a series on SBW since the Cohen Era began (and maybe even last year), but I certainly can't remember it. That's how bad that stench is.

2016 was a national seed team, thoroughly remember aTm waxing us all 3 games.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I would be happy with any beatdown we can put on the mississippi rebels but it would take a lot more than a good showing this weekend to even start to change my mind about the coaching staff. Even in the series win this weekend the pitching/defense was still bad with 10 freebies handed out on Thurs, 14 on Fri, and a more respectable 5 on Sat.

We took a step in the right direction against a bad team this weekend but the minimum requirement remains the same. Miss a regional and CCL needs to go. CSF needs to go no matter what happens the rest of the way.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If you can't at least be truthful and accept facts, I can't help you.

2 seed in Stanford. Now please stop with the dumb stuff.

Guess highly to me means a host spot or in contention for one. I dont think they have any type of shot at that, barring a huge run, which is unlikley from them

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Guess highly to me means a host spot or in contention for one. I dont think they have any type of shot at that, barring a huge run, which is unlikley from them
We were debating whether or not Alabama was "a really bad team" (quoted from another poster), which with the evidence we have available, is a dumb take.

To even make the tournament means you're not "a really bad team". Then being on the upper 50% side? Not debatable.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So did we in 2022, but we also lost our closer, one of the replacement arms for those 2021 starters, and our best middle relief arm midseason.

Their NC SOS is currently #123. Not terrible but by no means great. MSU’s is at #67, and people on here certainly didn’t think much of our pre-SEC schedule.

Again, same for us, but our bandsaw was worse. We played 3 of the current Top 4 in the league standings.

We will see. UGA just took 2 of 3 from Kentucky. The other 3 can beat them too and are all ahead of them in the standings, some with similarly difficult schedules. I stand by the fact that they look to be pretty bad, and I certainly don’t expect them to make a regional at this time.

I think whoever loses the series this weekend is done. OM ain’t coming back from 3-12 or 2-13. Don’t see us coming back from 4-11 or 3-12 either. Very critical series. And it makes me nervous that its on Super Bulldog Weekend, when we almost always play like hammered catshit no matter how good we are.

Yes our season after winning and their season are very similar i agree. Both lost key arms, both brought back a lot of offensive talent but lost their stud.

US and them this year very similar. The bandsaw is basically the same, combined sec record for our opponents is 33-14, OM is 33-15. One loss more due to the rainout SC had who played LSU so could very well be exactly the same.

I agree both MSU and OM have looked bad. There have been times its been hard to say whose better, all that said it'll get settled on the field and I'm glad its in Starkville. I was just pointing out I dont think OM has mailed it in yet, and they probably have similar thoughts as we do. Win this series and get a few wins down the stretch against lesser competition and its not end of the world

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We were debating whether or not Alabama was "a really bad team" (quoted from another poster), which with the evidence we have available, is a dumb take.

To even make the tournament means you're not "a really bad team". Then being on the upper 50% side? Not debatable.
I agreed with that in my response. I said they arent a bad team. No one is the SEC is, but alabama is likely more of a team that is going to be happy with getting in than a team that just missed out on hosting spot.

I think we agree with what each other are trying to say.. To me highly in sec baseball is about hosting, not getting in as a 2-3 seed.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Well don't forget the rebs were not that good in the regular season last year coming within a gnat's eyelash of missing the tournament. They were 32-22, 14-16 and the very last name called on selection Sunday. Then somehow they won the damn CWS.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Ain't this the truth. I'm sure we have won a series on SBW since the Cohen Era began (and maybe even last year), but I certainly can't remember it. That's how bad that stench is.

2016 was a national seed team, thoroughly remember aTm waxing us all 3 games.
Post Cohen SBW has actually been good to us:

2022 - took 2of 3 against Auburn
2021 - took 2 of 3 from Ole Miss
2019 - swept Bama
2018 - swept Arkansas
2017 - took 2 of 3 from UK

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yup. I'm still concerned about the pitching and even more so the defense. I feel ok about our young guys hitting. If we were playing decent defense, I'd think we just have a pitching coach problem. But ****** defense, especially from formerly reliable players, just smells like an overall program problem. Something just hasn't been right.

But I agree if we win the series this weekend, and manage to at least be competitive and cut out all the run rule games against the more difficult stretch of the schedule, I'd start to think maybe it's fixable. Not sure that even qualifies as neutral, but at least there would be hope.
I think there's plenty of reason to be concerned about the pitching. Since 2014, there has only been one SEC pitching staff worse than this one, and it was the '21 Missouri team that went 15-36 with a 7.24 ERA.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think there's plenty of reason to be concerned about the pitching. Since 2014, there has only been one SEC pitching staff worse than this one, and it was the '21 Missouri team that went 15-36 with a 7.24 ERA.
Can we at least stop comparing this staff with statistics until we finish the year? Not even through 60% through the year, we know things can and do change big time throughout the year. 2018 comes to mind.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Alabama's not a really bad team. But they played the worst non conference schedule in the league and one of the weakest in the nation. Have been to one regional in 6 years and I'm not sure anyone had them "highly" in any field. Their RPI is high b/c they played upper tier SEC schools to start the season.

Agree the sec is good 8-9 bid league for sure. A lot of the mid-tier teams play each other down the stretch and it'll play out on the field. MSU/OM/Bama/AU/TxAM/UGA
They lost 2 of 3 at home to Columbia. They haven’t wont a series against a team with a winning record. They are bad. Our RPI is 30 and we are bad.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login