Let’s Ask Ourselves This

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
I was told that we hired Mike Leach to elevate our program. I was told that year 3 was the magic year it all comes together. I was told that we had to get his guys in here and we’d see results. None of those have happened and what should convince me that any of it will?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
An 8 win season doesn't look likely. Will have to beat ole miss and auburn. Or pull a major upset. Will doesn't have what it takes to get us to that level to 9-10. The offensive line doesn't rather. We also don't have the front 6-7 to pull that off. We just let a team run it down our throats all night. Right down the middle. We can't handle a pass rush for ****. So I don't know if we will make it to 9 win season in year 3 or year 4. He will be here at least through next year unless we are 6-5 and get blown out in the egg bowl.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
No coach is hired to lower the program. That's all PR.

IMO, the obvious problem is OL/DL recruiting. We are doing an average job of that compared to our peers.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
That game was awful but they are better now than they were under Moorehead and they have gotten better over time. Unless State slides drastically down in the recruit rankings there’s no reason to believe that they won’t get better than they are now.
^^^^THIS

It's year 3 of a foreign language type system to MSU. Other than Dak we've never really thrown the ball. I love Will Rogers, but I think Sawyer Robertson is going to be oustanding for us.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
^^^^THIS

It's year 3 of a foreign language type system to MSU. Other than Dak we've never really thrown the ball. I love Will Rogers, but I think Sawyer Robertson is going to be oustanding for us.
Will obviously has a ceiling. Hard to know though for real with Robertson until we see him play. But I don't expect him to be much better until he learns to reads. One thing for certain is better be able to adjust to the blitz and we still have to have plays for a 4-5 man front. Otherwise it won't matter l.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
^^^^THIS

I’d like to believe this, too, but the extremely few times Sawyer has gotten into a game late, he’s looked lost out there. If he was better than Rogers, I think we would be seeing him more. I fully expect Will to return and start in 2023. Will Sawyer stick around and hold a clipboard another year?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think the disappointing thing is that this was supposed to be a peak year for us. Knew the OL would be questionable but still disappointing to see our offense just get suffocated by LSU (and not the normal LSU, although still athletic) and 17ing Kentucky. Infuriating to see us check down to the rb for a 3 yard gain when it’s 3rd and long. Hard for me to believe there weren’t some open receivers in those, especially on those plays where will did a good job extending them, just to drop them to a rb that didn’t have any room to go anywhere.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Here is the issue with the “elevate the program” thing with Leach… he is more of a high floor coach than a high ceiling coach. He’s had a bunch of 8 and 9 win teams, a couple of 11 win teams, but never won a division or played in a BCS/NY6 bowl.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I was told that year 3 was the magic year it all comes together. I was told that we had to get his guys in here and we’d see results. None of those have happened and what should convince me that any of it will?

The covid year doesn't count so it's really year 2**

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I was told that we hired Mike Leach to elevate our program. I was told that year 3 was the magic year it all comes together. I was told that we had to get his guys in here and we’d see results. None of those have happened and what should convince me that any of it will?
The story is still the same. It’s really hard to be consistently good on offense running the same 10 plays bc you think someone is open every play. And because we never ask the defense to respect the edge. It can absolutely be worse at State but thats the crux of the issue. KY didn’t make the same mistake Ark did which was show a light box that allowed us to run. They mixed up looks so that even when they brought just three we didn’t check to a run. 10 offensive points our last 2 trips to Lexington. S Carolina had 17 last week. And they are terrible.

The defense on the other hand is likely a talent issue.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The story is still the same. It’s really hard to be consistently good on offense running the same 10 plays bc you think someone is open every play. And because we never ask the defense to respect the edge. It can absolutely be worse at State but thats the crux of the issue. KY didn’t make the same mistake Ark did which was show a light box that allowed us to run. They mixed up looks so that even when they brought just three we didn’t check to a run. 10 offensive points our last 2 trips to Lexington. S Carolina had 17 last week. And they are terrible.

The defense on the other hand is likely a talent issue.

I know this will get some eyes rolling because everyone feels like they've heard this a hundred times, but KY just showed the world the blueprint for stopping this version of Leach's air raid. Simply put, bring pressure. Rogers can not handle it, and I don't mean in the sense that most QBs struggle with it. I mean that a play is 100% over the second Rogers has to start moving his legs because he does not have the tools to scramble or buy time outside of the pocket.

Sep 15, 2009
I think the disappointing thing is that this was supposed to be a peak year for us. Knew the OL would be questionable but still disappointing to see our offense just get suffocated by LSU (and not the normal LSU, although still athletic) and 17ing Kentucky. Infuriating to see us check down to the rb for a 3 yard gain when it’s 3rd and long. Hard for me to believe there weren’t some open receivers in those, especially on those plays where will did a good job extending them, just to drop them to a rb that didn’t have any room to go anywhere.
Will was not going to give our receivers a chance to fight for the ball. At least not last night. It’s why I hate watching on tv; I can’t see if they are really that covered, or if he’s just scared to throw it to them.

And our D couldn’t tackle for **** last night. They were Standing upright grabbing at shoulder pads on every tackle as they got dragged for a first down or touchdown. Not to mention all the arm tackles. Our D looked weak and scared to tackle all night. But they were sure talking smack and starting crap all night.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Here is the issue with the “elevate the program” thing with Leach… he is more of a high floor coach than a high ceiling coach. He’s had a bunch of 8 and 9 win teams, a couple of 11 win teams, but never won a division or played in a BCS/NY6 bowl.
We’re in a period of college football where only 7-8 teams can make the CFP. And now those same schools can pay millions for whatever elite talent they want. I’m fine with high floor right now TBH, just keep us out of the cellar for the next 5-10 years. If our SEC West brethren want to over pay for recruits and blow up their programs every 2-3 years for not winning the West they can have at it.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
What do you need to see to consider our program being elevated? Are they supposed to be better than Bama or better than we’ve been for 20 years or better than the previous coach? What do you define as better?

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We have three 10 win seasons in our entire history! How elevated do you think he can make the program? I just want to be a consistent good team that occasionally can compete for the SEC title when we get a special player like Dak, or when the rest of the league is down (1998). Those of you who think we can turn into a consistent 10 win program are going to be in for a lot of disappointment.

Reactions: HRMSU

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
We’re in a period of college football where only 7-8 teams can make the CFP. And now those same schools can pay millions for whatever elite talent they want. I’m fine with high floor right now TBH, just keep us out of the cellar for the next 5-10 years. If our SEC West brethren want to over pay for recruits and blow up their programs every 2-3 years for not winning the West they can have at it.
OM was a dumpster fire three years ago, and they have a very good chance of playing in the CFP this year. The "we know our place so just accept it" mantra won't fly anymore

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I know this will get some eyes rolling because everyone feels like they've heard this a hundred times, but KY just showed the world the blueprint for stopping this version of Leach's air raid. Simply put, bring pressure. Rogers can not handle it, and I don't mean in the sense that most QBs struggle with it. I mean that a play is 100% over the second Rogers has to start moving his legs because he does not have the tools to scramble or buy time outside of the pocket.
I thought the blueprint was rush 3, drop 8?

The blueprint is to out-perform our O-Line with your D-Line. Teams that do that have a great chance to win. Teams that don't will get eaten alive. That's how it works for every offense, every game.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I thought the blueprint was rush 3, drop 8?

The blueprint is to out-perform our O-Line with your D-Line. Teams that do that have a great chance to win. Teams that don't will get eaten alive. That's how it works for every offense, every game.
It was, back when KJ Costello was our QB along with a true freshman Will Rogers.

It’s not 2020 anymore, however, and intelligent DCs are figuring out that Will simply can’t operate when he has to move. I’m fairly certain that KY had just 1 sack and a hurry for the entire game last night, so it’s not as if they just completely dominated our line. They did force Rogers to be mobile on quite a few occasions, though, and the entire offense crumbles to the ground any time that happens

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
OM was a dumpster fire three years ago, and they have a very good chance of playing in the CFP this year. The "we know our place so just accept it" mantra won't fly anymore
They've played 1 team worth a crap and was lucky as hell to win that game at home. Let's tap the breaks on the CFP until we at least see them beat some SEC teams.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I was SOLD that we hired Mike Leach to elevate our program. I was SOLD that year 3 was the magic year it all comes together. I was SOLD that we had to get his guys in here and we’d see results. None of those have happened and what should convince me that any of it will?
I fixed your post for you. You make want consider who the seller was

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
It’ll be twelve teams in a couple of years. So you are looking at probably 25 teams who have a chance to get in.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Leach wasn't hired to elevate our program any more than any other coach. A good result would be a copying Mullen's success. A great result would be copying Mullen's success without all the job searching ********.

I don't know if Leach will get to a good result or not. Depends on how much the way LSU and UK shut us down is a scheme issue versus an OL talent issue versus a Will issue. I assume it's a combination. The scheme makes it imperative that the OL be able to be solid and needs the QB to be able to make a quick decision.

As I said, this year is disappointing because it's supposed to be an up year and we're probably going to win 7 or at most 8. 8 isn't bad considering we got a bad east draw, but 7 will be extremely disappointing. Next year will tell us a lot as we're going to lose a ton on defense. If we can still get to 7 wins, that will be a good sign. If we get to 6, that's not killer but obviously isn't going to be great. If we only win 5, I will be concerned that Leach won't coach long enough to get us to the next peak or if he does, the peak will be pretty low.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Being satisfied with 6-7 in this league will have you in the cellar in no time. Got to get to that 8-10 wins every 4 years I know it's not sustainable for us every year but when you have a veteran qb you expect it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We certainly had a bad game. I've seen a lot of offensive production since the first time someone on SPS proclaimed that the Leach stoppage blueprint was in place, and the next time, and the next time. Every time we've had an offensively inept game, someone trots out the blueprint narrative. We continue to adjust and put up big numbers afterwards. Time will tell if this is the real blueprint moment but I suspect it is not.

Reactions: AFDawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
^^^REBEL Troll^^^

A real Mississippi state fan would know the backup QB is always the answer.

No no, we've now fully transitioned to the QB commitment that hasn't yet even signed nor will he sniff the field until 2024, maybe 2025. THAT's when everything will finally all come together for us

Reactions: johnson86-1

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
We should pool our money and go for Saban next

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
An 8 win season doesn't look likely. Will have to beat ole miss and auburn. Or pull a major upset. Will doesn't have what it takes to get us to that level to 9-10. The offensive line doesn't rather. We also don't have the front 6-7 to pull that off. We just let a team run it down our throats all night. Right down the middle. We can't handle a pass rush for ****. So I don't know if we will make it to 9 win season in year 3 or year 4. He will be here at least through next year unless we are 6-5 and get blown out in the egg bowl.

Kentucky ran it down our throats... and we have Bama, UGA, and *ahem* 'others' who can run the ball better than UK coming up.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Kentucky ran it down our throats... and we have Bama, UGA, and *ahem* 'others' who can run the ball better than UK coming up.
I’ll say again that I’m not going to blame Saturday’s loss on the defense, but it was an incredibly disappointing effort from Arnett’s squad. Aside from Bama, I cannot recall a team just running through one of his defenses for 60 minutes, but UK sure did that last weekend, and Arnett had no answers

Reactions: Darryl Steight

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’ll say again that I’m not going to blame Saturday’s loss on the defense, but it was an incredibly disappointing effort from Arnett’s squad. Aside from Bama, I cannot recall a team just running through one of his defenses for 60 minutes, but UK sure did that last weekend, and Arnett had no answers
It wasn't a good performance, but they still held UK to 27 points and scored 7 points themselves. Offense just needed to score 20 points. It was only a marginal performance because they let UK have the ball for so long, but if the offense had been marginal offense instead of dreadful, it would have gone to the wire at least if not been a MSU win.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The covid year doesn't count so it's really year 2**
Yep and since then he's gone 6-6. He's been coaching .500 SEC ball since then. Leach said OL is his main coaching focus and loves getting involved with their development. We've gone from not being able to protect 5 vs 3 to being able to do so now we need to teach our 5 how to block 4. I bought into the preseason hype with all those returning starters and our 2 SEC losses stings but I'm just trying to step back and take a deep breath and remind myself how bad things have been in the past after keeping up with them over 50 years now.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What do you need to see to consider our program being elevated? Are they supposed to be better than Bama or better than we’ve been for 20 years or better than the previous coach? What do you define as better?
I'd say start by beating the teams we are favored against (LSU and KY to start) and work in an upset occasionally, that would elevate us now

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Correct. I haven't seen our line or run D in general get cut up like that from an Arnett defense, and it was worrisome. Very frustrating too, when I felt like our O was gaining a little traction, and we only needed one stop... UK would run it right up the gut for a 1st down. OR, they would run it (many times) around the end when our DE was getting the **** held out of him over and over again. But I will refrain from blaming the loss on the refs. Point is, I hope we didn't just see a glimpse of what the rest of the season will look like.

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
We have three 10 win seasons in our entire history! How elevated do you think he can make the program? I just want to be a consistent good team that occasionally can compete for the SEC title when we get a special player like Dak, or when the rest of the league is down (1998). Those of you who think we can turn into a consistent 10 win program are going to be in for a lot of disappointment.
Oxford team won 10 games last year. They have a shot to do that again. In 2019 they were not good.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login