Let’s get some facts out of the way.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
The offense (so far) and special teams is better than last year. Offense only slightly better. Special teams is significantly better.

The defense is significantly, significantly worse.

None of this is my opinion. These are statistical facts. It’s not debatable.

FACTS over.

I keep on seeing if Leach was here we would be 4-2 or 5-1. And there seems to be two camps. Camp one: Rogers is the best QB ever and he is being misused, that’s why we aren’t undefeated. Camp two: Rogers is horrible and Wright needs to be the starter, it’s why we aren’t 5-1.

I’ve got news for you. We weren’t putting up 50 against LSU or Bama(both squads took foot off gas) with Leach running his offense and we weren’t putting up 40 at South Carolina with Leach running his offense. So, 3-3 AT BEST with Leach.

Now, back to the defense. Last year, because of the offense, that defense was repeatedly put in bad positions on the field. They also forced a lot of turnovers which gave our offense short fields, mostly wasted especially against LSU, Auburn, and Ole Miss last year. Offense almost singlehandedly lost the Auburn and Ole Miss game last year. They did singlehandedly lose the LSU game…

If you take the defense last year with the offense this year, you ARE looking at 4-2, we would’ve beaten SC.

The defense would’ve been just as bad with Leach at the helm this year. This all
goes back to Arnett being unable to recruit defensive players. It really is THAT simple.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Truth This Is True GIF by Ford

best case scenario under Leach was 4-2 but more likely 3-3.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The offense (so far) and special teams is better than last year. Offense only slightly better. Special teams is significantly better.

FACTS over.

I keep on seeing if Leach was here we would be 4-2 or 5-1. And there seems to be two camps. Camp one: Rogers is the best QB ever and he is being misused, that’s why we aren’t undefeated. Camp two: Rogers is horrible and Wright needs to be the starter, it’s why we aren’t 5-1.

I’ve got news for you. We weren’t putting up 50 against LSU or Bama(both squads took foot off gas) with Leach running his offense and we weren’t putting up 40 at South Carolina with Leach running his offense. So, 3-3 AT BEST with Leach.

Now, back to the defense. Last year, because of the offense, that defense was repeatedly put in bad positions on the field. They also forced a lot of turnovers which gave our offense short fields, mostly wasted especially against LSU, Auburn, and Ole Miss last year. Offense almost singlehandedly lost the Auburn and Ole Miss game last year. They did singlehandedly lose the LSU game…

If you take the defense last year with the offense this year, you ARE looking at 4-2, we would’ve beaten SC.

The defense would’ve been just as bad with Leach at the helm this year. This all
goes back to Arnett being unable to recruit defensive players. It really is THAT simple.
I like where the offense is going. We have to find better qb play. But it’s hard to say we are better at this point when we have played so many bad teams. LSU is atrocious on defense and we had 7 total yds with 3 minutes in the first half. Need to see the last 6 games. But yes we would be 3-3 in the air raid.

Defense is a personnel issue. Some on Arnett but that’s not how CFB recruiting works. It’s a staff and geographic effort. The prior staff was just bad as a whole. And none of them but Hughes were familiar with our footprint. The whole thing was a mistake from the outset. Cohen thought it was 2008 and the Air Raid was progressive.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Aug 22, 2012

FACTS over.

There are only 9 teams in the entire country with a defense worse than LSU's at this point in the season. LSU gives up 445 yards per game on average, and we had 201 total yards.

Also I love the "FACTS" headline on this thread and then you proceed to write something that's a complete opinion.

You can give your opinion all you want, but it's not hard to see that the offense isn't up to par. I agree that the defense is worse, but you are just pushing an agenda.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

FACTS over.

I can shoot holes in your "facts" with actual facts.

This is nothing but opinion because you want this.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This all goes back to Arnett being unable to recruit defensive players. It really is THAT simple.
That simple huh. Okay. Here’s a list of really good defensive players. All from MS. As terrible as our D is, we should be able to offer immediate playing time to all of them.

Sure seems like an easy sell to me, come start as a true freshmen in the SEC, and play for a defensive minded head coach. What’s Arnett’s moves that he needs to make to land just one or two of them? How many phone calls and “can of swag” letters per day? How many mama’s does he have to hug and babies does he have to kiss? And if Arnett is physically incapable of it, what coach out there that we hire will land 1 or 2 of these guys, and what do they need to do in order to do so?
IMG_5288.jpeg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I can shoot holes in your "facts" with actual facts.

This is nothing but opinion because you want this.
Let me know where the 49 points last year scored by the defense (6) and Tulu(1) (including XPs) are gonna come from? Do you expect the offense to drive the entire length of the field (where they didn’t have to last year) AND score an extra 4 points per game?

These are facts. Leach’s offense was not good. Leach’s special teams were atrocious. Leach’s defense WAS good. Arnett fixed the special teams, offense has gotten it going, but he forgot what got him the job in the first place.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
There are only 9 teams in the entire country with a defense worse than LSU's at this point in the season. LSU gives up 445 yards per game on average, and we had 201 total yards.

Also I love the "FACTS" headline on this thread and then you proceed to write something that's a complete opinion.

You can give your opinion all you want, but it's not hard to see that the offense isn't up to par. I agree that the defense is worse, but you are just pushing an agenda.
What’s my agenda? We have idiots looking to fire a coach 6 games into the season and want him gone if we go 5-7 or worse. People have lost their minds because they no longer can brag about Will’s stat line. Hey, we threw for over 300 yards against Bama (but we lost 30-6).

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That simple huh. Okay. Here’s a list of really good defensive players. All from MS. As terrible as our D is, we should be able to offer immediate playing time to all of them.

Sure seems like an easy sell to me, come start as a true freshmen in the SEC, and play for a defensive minded head coach. What’s Arnett’s moves that he needs to make to land just one or two of them? How many phone calls and “can of swag” letters per day? How many mama’s does he have to hug and babies does he have to kiss? And if Arnett is physically incapable of it, what coach out there that we hire will land 1 or 2 of these guys, and what do they need to do in order to do so?
View attachment 420936
NIL. Playing for known winners in kiffin and golding. Easy ole miss girls who like to blow. Speaking of blow...
we used to get to these guys early and used to be able to hold on to a few, we haven't been doing that the last few years because we weren't getting out and identifying them early

Reactions: Nugdawg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Let me know where the 49 points last year scored by the defense (6) and Tulu(1) (including XPs) are gonna come from? Do you expect the offense to drive the entire length of the field (where they didn’t have to last year) AND score an extra 4 points per game?

These are facts. Leach’s offense was not good. Leach’s special teams were atrocious. Leach’s defense WAS good. Arnett fixed the special teams, offense has gotten it going, but he forgot what got him the job in the first place.
HAHAHAHA!!!! WOW!

Even with the lack of a run game, our offense was better. By 20 spots. We are ranked 81 right now and we are beginning the gauntlet of SEC play.

We had the returners to keep that top 10 passing attack going and to add a run game from Barbay. We didn't instead, we are forcing our team to run more 12 than 10. You understand what that means right?

Make that make sense.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
What’s my agenda? We have idiots looking to fire a coach 6 games into the season and want him gone if we go 5-7 or worse. People have lost their minds because they no longer can brag about Will’s stat line. Hey, we threw for over 300 yards against Bama (but we lost 30-6).
Doesn't have any thing to do with Rogers. Has to do with the fact that this staff is lost!

Aug 22, 2012
I do not know what your agenda is, but I am certain you have one if you are defending the play of this team at this point in the season.

The season is only half over and I am willing to hold my opinion until we have a final result, BUT if we do win 3/4 games then Arnett has to go. He was never being considered as a real candidate to replace Leach, and no one will consider him as a head coaching candidate when he leaves here. He's a guy that got a 4 million dollar pay day because his boss died.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I like how speculation about what would’ve happened had Leach not passed is presented as fact. You have a future in politics maybe. Either side.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I like how speculation about what would’ve happened had Leach not passed is presented as fact. You have a future in politics maybe. Either side.
You have no future in reading comprehension. I clearly stated where the facts ended and gave an opinion.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
You have no future in reading comprehension. I clearly stated where the facts ended and gave an opinion.
You said offense and special teams are better than last year. By what objective measure is that true?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
NIL. Playing for known winners in kiffin and golding. Easy ole miss girls who like to blow. Speaking of blow...
we used to get to these guys early and used to be able to hold on to a few, we haven't been doing that the last few years because we weren't getting out and identifying them early
I encourage everyone to listen to Sunday Coffee with Bart and Charlie. Particularly around the 16 minute mark

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
HAHAHAHA!!!! WOW!

Even with the lack of a run game, our offense was better. By 20 spots. We are ranked 81 right now and we are beginning the gauntlet of SEC play.

We had the returners to keep that top 10 passing attack going and to add a run game from Barbay. We didn't instead, we are forcing our team to run more 12 than 10. You understand what that means right?

Make that make sense.
What’s the most important stat for an offense? Points per game and yards per play. We are better at that, so far. Don’t give two ***** where we are ranked in yards per game. Leach was the king of piling up yards and not scoring. We are scoring more points and our yards per play are up. We are getting a HELL of a lot less chances because our D is atrocious.

Still haven’t answered where we are supposed to get those extra 49 points?

Would it have made you happier if we won the SELA game 60 to whatever? We could have. How about punching it in two days ago to put up 48.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
What’s the most important stat for an offense? Points per game and yards per play. We are better at that, so far. Don’t give two ***** where we are ranked in yards per game. Leach was the king of piling up yards and not scoring. We are scoring more points and our yards per play are up. We are getting a HELL of a lot less chances because our D is atrocious.

Still haven’t answered where we are supposed to get those extra 49 points?

Would it have made you happier if we won the SELA game 60 to whatever? We could have. How about punching it in two days ago to put up 48.
If points per game is the most important thing then why are they continuing to force a square peg in a round hole? Why are you ignoring the question of why we are running more 12 than 10? Do you even know what that means?

Try again.....

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The first 3 letters are all that matters. The rest is just icing on the cake. And Golding is terrible, btw.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
You said offense and special teams are better than last year. By what objective measure is that true?
Field goal kicking night and day. Punt coverage, Night and day. Last year, ETSU returned a punt for a TD. Punt returns. Night and day. Kickoff returns have been even better than last year despite them not kicking to Tulu. Punting average is up by a yard.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
If points per game is the most important thing then why are they continuing to force a square peg in a round hole? Why are you ignoring the question of why we are running more 12 than 10? Do you even know what that means?

Try again.....
You post a link to stats that don’t even have our ppg correct. We average offensively over 30 points per game this year. Btw, Leach averaged offensively 27.8 ppg last year.

As for the personnel groupings, our receivers SUCK by SEC standards and they sucked under Leach. Other than Tulu, what receivers returning did we have that you would like to get the ball? They sucked under Leach and they still suck now. I don’t want our receivers on the field unless they are huge and decide to block or pick for our only three playmakers (Tulu, Marks and Rogers/Wright). There is a reason why in SEC play last year the only thing that really worked was running the ball with Marks and Johnson. We could pass protect most of the time, but no one could get open/Rogers didn’t have the arm to deliver it.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You post a link to stats that don’t even have our ppg correct. We average offensively over 30 points per game this year. Btw, Leach averaged offensively 27.8 ppg last year.

As for the personnel groupings, our receivers SUCK by SEC standards and they sucked under Leach. Other than Tulu, what receivers returning did we have that you would like to get the ball? They sucked under Leach and they still suck now. I don’t want our receivers on the field unless they are huge and decide to block or pick for our only three playmakers (Tulu, Marks and Rogers/Wright). There is a reason why in SEC play last year the only thing that really worked was running the ball with Marks and Johnson. We could pass protect most of the time, but no one could get open/Rogers didn’t have the arm to deliver it.
I posted a link to that 100% has the right stats. They do not use any games played by an FBS team and a FCS team. That pads the stats. So in FBS play, we averaged 29.6 points last year. This year 26.6 with most of our cup cake games played.

No, our WRs do not suck. We have 6 four star WRs. I see that you are still avoiding the 12 vs 10, and I now understand why. It's like your false assertion that Rogers can't throw a deep ball when he has proven that all year long.

But carry on!

Reactions: Ranchdawg and POTUS

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The reason all the argument is about the offense is the air raid fanatics. The defense is where we are losing games that we might could win/

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I posted a link to that 100% has the right stats. They do not use any games played by an FBS team and a FCS team. That pads the stats. So in FBS play, we averaged 29.6 points last year. This year 26.6 with most of our cup cake games played.
I don’t really care to go that deep into this debate, but its data manipulation if you’re throwing out FCS cupcake games, but not throwing out games on the other side of the spectrum as well (like us against Bama).

You’re also saying its not OK to include SLU’s result this year, but its perfectly OK to include last year’s Bowling Green game. That’s stupid….as there is not a damn bit of difference between those teams compared to a typical SEC program.

Either include all the games, throw out an equal number of best / worst opponents to minimize the impact of good or bad outliers, or only look at conference or Power 5 games. Otherwise, you’re deliberately applying a subjective spin in some direction or another….whether intentional or not.

But no matter what you do, you’re stil not likely to find a result that shows a huge difference in offensive output in 2022 vs. 2023.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019

FACTS over.

In SEC games, the offense is scoring less and it's played two bad defenses in three games. That offense ain't it either.

Reactions: patdog and Ibdancin

Prediction? Pain.

Jun 2, 2013

Outside of being 7-for-11 on field goals last year, our special teams play was great. In SEC games, we were 4th in the conference in punt return average, 2nd in opponents' punt return average, 2nd in kickoff return average, and 3rd in opponent kickoff return average. We've only played three SEC games this year, but so far we're worse in all four of those categories. And if you're into advanced stats, we finished 2022 with the 15th best special teams in the nation according to FEI.

As for the offense, yeah, last year we regressed quite a bit from '21. In SEC games in 2021, we were 4th in the conference in total offense and 5th in scoring offense. And nationally we were 45th in touchdowns-per-possession and 35th in % of available yards gained per drive, which is better than any year under Mullen aside from '14 and '15 in Dak's last two seasons. At the end of the regular season in 2022, we dipped to 11th and 9th in the SEC in the total and scoring offense ranks, and to 59th and 53rd in the national TDs-per-drive and yards-gained ranks.

This year we're about the same offensively so far, maybe a little worse. 10th in total offense in SEC games, 13th in scoring offense. Nationally we're 59th in TDs-per-drive and 68th in % of available yards gained per drive. Interested to see where we go from here, though, given that the only good defense we've played is Alabama. Auburn, A&M, and Kentucky are all significantly better defensively than every over team we've played, and even Arkansas and U. Miss. are are a bit better defensively than S. Car. and LSU so far.

Defensively, yeah, we were solid last year and are now horrific.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Take back the Will Rogers turnover we probably feeling a little better. We win SC and almost win Bama.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I don’t really care to go that deep into this debate, but its data manipulation if you’re throwing out FCS cupcake games, but not throwing out games on the other side of the spectrum as well (like us against Bama).

You’re also saying its not OK to include SLU’s result this year, but its perfectly OK to include last year’s Bowling Green game. That’s stupid….as there is not a damn bit of difference between those teams compared to a typical SEC program.

Either include all the games, throw out an equal number of best / worst opponents to minimize the impact of good or bad outliers, or only look at conference or Power 5 games. Otherwise, you’re deliberately applying a subjective spin in some direction or another….whether intentional or not.

But no matter what you do, you’re stil not likely to find a result that shows a huge difference in offensive output in 2022 vs. 2023.
Bowling green is not FCS. SELA is. The site automatically takes out the FCS teams in all seasons.... for everybody.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Is there another camp for Will is the best QB we currently have and we’re not using him the best way and if the coach wants to completely make a total 360 on offensive strategy, maybe he should’ve changed the players first? I’m in that camp.

and yes, I know what a 360 is. Just putting this note heat because many of y’all will lack the intelligence or sense of humor needed to leave this note off.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login