Let’s say 2023 has an average of 36 innings being pitched a week….

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
What amount of those innings do you believe will be thrown by players NOT on the current roster?

A) Less than 12

B) 13 to 25

C) 25+

I feel like the answer to that is probably ‘C’. Boy, that seems like a monumental task for a single offseason. We seems to be staring a 2+ year rebuild on the mound right in the face.

Last edited:

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Texas A&M was 9-21 last in the SEC last year and finished 1st in the West this year 19-11. How did they do it. Good coaching and the transfer portal.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
A&M is a good example of fixing a roster quickly. But I also wonder how much NIL was involved with that too. Baseball isn’t going to be as heavily affected by NIL as something like football. But for a school like A&M with its resources, I bet NIL had a fair amount to do with the players they got.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
A&M is a good example of fixing a roster quickly. But I also wonder how much NIL was involved with that too. Baseball isn’t going to be as heavily affected by NIL as something like football. But for a school like A&M with its resources, I bet NIL had a fair amount to do with the players they got.
Immediate playing time had much more to do with it. Funny watch everyone squirm about NIL in any sport, much less baseball.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Immediate playing time had much more to do with it. Funny watch everyone squirm about NIL in any sport, much less baseball.

The pitcher from TX Tech was in the weekend rotation on last years Top 8 seed team. The pitcher from Stanford was the closer on the World Series team.

3 starting position players Rock - LF started 121 games at UTSA. Claunch - catcher started started 85 games Oregon State and was 1st team PAC 12. Kole Kaler - SS started 67 games at Hawaii.

Looks like those guys were getting plenty of playing time where they were. If I'm starting for a Top 10 program like TX Tech or Stanford it would take a little something to persuade me to leave.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
He means we didn’t really have playing time to offer. For example- Why would a catcher have ever come here after last year?

Last edited by a moderator:

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
He means we didn’t really have playing time to offer. For example- Why would a catcher have ever come here after last year?

I was thinking they transferred to A&M to get playing time.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Texas A&M was 9-21 last in the SEC last year and finished 1st in the West this year 19-11. How did they do it. Good coaching and the transfer portal.

They didn’t fix pitching with the transfer portal though. Team ERA was basically same as last year. To have quality pitching in the SEC, you’ve got to sign and develop the overwhelming majority of it from the high school ranks….which means you’ve got to bring in enough signees to overcome both the draft and the inevitable UCL issues. There is no shortcut.

That’s how we got into the mess we’re in now….not nearly enough pitching talent brought in from 2019-2020 classes. Cade Smith, Landon Sims, KC Hunt, and Brandon Smith were the only upperclassmen HS signees on our whole roster. Naturally, 3 of those 4 were our weekend rotation guys on opening day. So its unsurprising that once hslf those guys started getting hurt, we started having big problems.

Lemonis did what he could….bringing in at least 6 JUCO / transfer guys in 2019-2021 classes. But that was never going to be enough if the wrong guys got hurt.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login