Let me see if I understand a couple of you experts.......

TexasHoopCoach

Mar 3, 2008
If State doesn't beat Memphis on Sunday and advance to the Sweet 16, will Stansbury still be considered an "average at best" coach?

All his team has to do is to defeat a team that was #1 for a good portion of the year on a floor 90 minutes from their house.

Just making sure that I understand you.

TexasHoopCoach

Mar 3, 2008
If State doesn't beat Memphis on Sunday and advance to the Sweet 16, will Stansbury still be considered an "average at best" coach?

All his team has to do is to defeat a team that was #1 for a good portion of the year on a floor 90 minutes from their house.

Just making sure that I understand you.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
due to our ****** start, he will get a pass for losing to Mempho...but God forbid he ever upset someone in the tourney

TexasHoopCoach

Mar 3, 2008
So, are you saying that Stansbury should be regarded as an above average coach despite the outcome of the game?

Didn't realize that reality had dawned upon you...........

M

MsuD00D

Not really. He's already "an average at best coach". We got a **** draw this year. But, don't you have to lay that blame on the coach of a team that went 12-4 in the conference but didn't show up for the OOC schedule or the SEC tourney? Circumstances are different year to year, but the fact is we've had a 14-2 and a 12-4 team in the SEC and the best we have to show for it is a 5 seed because neither team showed up for the SEC tourney. He's got to make a run at some point. For how long can he be given a pass because the matchups aren't right? At some point you've got to win when it counts and upset somebody unless we plan on earning a 1 or 2 seed anytime soon.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
he beat a team we were supposed to beat...so i'm not getting giddy...he is in a win-win situaton Sunday..only because we sucked in Nov and Dec

M

MsuD00D

That's right. Sorry, brainfart, got the Butler year confused.

TexasHoopCoach

Mar 3, 2008
Coach34 said:
he beat a team we were supposed to beat...so i'm not getting giddy...he is in a win-win situaton Sunday..only because we sucked in Nov and Dec

</p>

Surely you jest.</p>

There are a number of basketball geniuses on this very board, that will call him everything but white boy should we lose to tiger high by one or more.</p>

It just won't matter..........
</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
he loses- he lost to a better team. They have 1 loss and are a 1 seed. If we somehow makes a deal with the devil and wins, he becomes the genius MeoCowStanza wants him to be.

win-win

TexasHoopCoach

Mar 3, 2008
Coach34 said:
he loses- he lost to a better team. They have 1 loss and are a 1 seed. If we somehow makes a deal with the devil and wins, he becomes the genius MeoCowStanza wants him toe.

win-win

Should State lose.........
</p>

Still no Sweet 16.</p>

Still Stains.</p>

Right?</p>

</p>

</p>

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
he is still the guy that cant make a Sweet 16. Should we win tomorrow? Nope. But why cant Ricky pull an upset for once? Its not a bad loss if we lose, but a loss nonetheless

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
Win, and you get to stick out your chest all week doing cold calls to free clinics.

Lose, and you get to crow about "Ricky" and "Stains" for another year.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
"Win, and you get to stick out your chest all week doing cold calls to free clinics."

I dont have to make cold calls...my **** is entrenched...but I will be crowing around town

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006
.....in the 2nd round if we had taken care of business in the SEC tournament. It's our fault that we're in the position of having to play the #1 seed in our bracket in the 2nd round. Am I not correct about that?

Beyond that, I'll let everyone else decide whether or not to dig their own grave by placing all the blame on Stansbury. I'm staying out of it. I just know that the "perception," whether it's right or wrong, is starting to eat away at Stansbury for being a coach who has the inability to get his teams to perform in the post-season.

Oct 14, 2007
Memphis is the better team. Will I be upset if we lose? Absolutely. Will I blame Rick? Depends on how the loss goes down. Hell, I pretty much expect him to get outcoached by Calipari if it comes down to it. Like I said earlier, good programs and coaches don't ***** about "bad draws" or "hot teams" or whatever the hell else. They nut up and find ways to get past it. God forbid we ask the same of Rick. God forbid we ask him to pull a big tourney upset out of his *** like good coaches are capable of doing. Still, he likely gets a pass for Sunday night, regardless of the outcome. But until he can find a way to the Sweet 16 I'll consider to consider him an average coach. Right or wrong, that's how I feel about him. Now toot your regular season stats, trot out your SEC West Championships, or whatever else you've got. But real coaches are determined in March. Rick's done jack **** in March. I hope he proves me wrong. I want him to prove me wrong, because I sincerely like him and think he's probably the best we can do. But at some point March success is required to be a good coach. I don't know what's so controversial about that. The day he makes the Sweet 16 I'll come back here, eat my heaping helping of crow (if that's actually required since I'm technically not a member of the "Hate Rick Club"), and eat said helping gladly.

Badon

Jun 12, 2006
It's pretty much how I feel. I like Stans. And he needs to win in March. I see Sunday as a HUGE opportunity for Mr. Stansbury.</p>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login