Let's go a different route. Let's look at the positive.....what if?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If you listened to Bart/Charlie's podcast after the game, you learn that the staff is now beginning to recruit more like Mullen did, which is having staff actually get out on the road and evaluate the prospects in the general area in MS and surrounding areas. Now, we know the game has changed with the portal, but still, the bones of the system are still there. If you lose a player to the portal, you have to go get a replacement in the portal. Rinse repeat. And they hinted that Leach and Co. were more analytical about recruiting, and I think it's obvious they let defensive personnel slip at the expense of offense (that said, Arnett was a part of the staff, just not the boss).

But beyond that, what if Arnett takes back over the defense for now, similar to how Saban does it (or did it, in the early days). He starts grooming Brock (or the next guy) rather than completely delegating things. And he gets a little more fiery on the sidelines?

What if Barbay continues to improve this year? What if we do show big signs of life with Wright against Arkansas and pull that game out? We are looking at USM, and two more home games to get to...........

What if, God forbid, we do reach 6-6?

What if, the list of Mississippi recruits this year IS in fact overrated, and our coaches are finding the real gems rather than Ole Miss (refer to opening paragraph)?

And I must say that to my eye, we've looked a lot more like Croom/Moorhead than Mullen/Leach, as far as strength and conditioning. Maybe I am just wrong on that? We still have the same strength coach, right? Hopefully I am. Because all this to say, I don't think Arnett is a bad coach. Nothing in his past screams Croom. And we know he's much more of a hardass than Moorhead.

Anyways, a different perspective. I am bi-polar, after all. I also quit drinking recently, might be going crazy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just curious of the "fiery" statement. Is this something that is needed and if so, what does it accomplish during football games?
Maybe, maybe not. It's the way he used to be, and things semi-worked, to the point to where we had to fend off suitors for his DC services and ultimately trusted him to be head coach.

He's not that way anymore, and things are not working. Soooo.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And to add to this, similarly to trying a passing offense, I've always wanted to try out a defensive head coach at MSU, mainly because defense has always been our strength, and theoretically that would keep defense strong. Same time, he could continually delegate the offense to a hungry, young OC.

Of course I realize we aren't getting this presently. But what if he gets it? I think we can give him this year to get it before we tar and feather and burn at the stake.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
And to add to this, similarly to trying a passing offense, I've always wanted to try out a defensive head coach at MSU, mainly because defense has always been our strength, and theoretically that would keep defense strong. Same time, he could continually delegate the offense to a hungry, young OC.

Of course I realize we aren't getting this presently. But what if he gets it? I think we can give him this year to get it before we tar and feather and burn at the stake.
I agree with a lot of your OP. I could get behind the 'what if' scenarios as possible, even if not highly likely. The optimism is a breath of fresh air at this point.

I thought you made a good point the other day (I think it was you) - Arnett went too far into delegating when it came to defense. I get that he needed to give Barbay control on the side of the ball he doesn't know, but he really should have stayed involved on defense. That would have been the Leach way of handling it, if that's what he was going for. It looks like he went too far just handing the reigns over to Brock this early.

Can he correct this course now? That's the question.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I agree with a lot of your OP. I could get behind the 'what if' scenarios as possible, even if not highly likely. The optimism is a breath of fresh air at this point.

I thought you made a good point the other day (I think it was you) - Arnett went too far into delegating when it came to defense. I get that he needed to give Barbay control on the side of the ball he doesn't know, but he really should have stayed involved on defense. That would have been the Leach way of handling it, if that's what he was going for. It looks like he went too far just handing the reigns over to Brock this early.

Can he correct this course now? That's the question.
Take a look at Nick Saban's staff. In the early years, Saban was the DC, no if ands or buts. It took Smart years before Saban finally turned it over to him. That's the way it should be. Now, there are certain levels of 'hands on'. Mullen was more like Saban and sort of micromanaged, whereas Leach was so hands on that he hired that other guy (Dave something?) to be like the administrative head coach or something. System coaches generally do that.

I don't know why he (Arnett) got that so backwards about the delegation. In so many ways, he wants to get away from what Leach did, but that's what he picks to emulate?? And on the same side of the ball as his expertise, no less. I mean at the end of the day, it just seems more like rookie moves, than total incompetence. He CAN'T be this dumb, maybe just a little egotistical.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If you listened to Bart/Charlie's podcast after the game, you learn that the staff is now beginning to recruit more like Mullen did, which is having staff actually get out on the road and evaluate the prospects in the general area in MS and surrounding areas. Now, we know the game has changed with the portal, but still, the bones of the system are still there. If you lose a player to the portal, you have to go get a replacement in the portal. Rinse repeat. And they hinted that Leach and Co. were more analytical about recruiting, and I think it's obvious they let defensive personnel slip at the expense of offense (that said, Arnett was a part of the staff, just not the boss).

But beyond that, what if Arnett takes back over the defense for now, similar to how Saban does it (or did it, in the early days). He starts grooming Brock (or the next guy) rather than completely delegating things. And he gets a little more fiery on the sidelines?

What if Barbay continues to improve this year? What if we do show big signs of life with Wright against Arkansas and pull that game out? We are looking at USM, and two more home games to get to...........

What if, the list of Mississippi recruits this year IS in fact overrated, and our coaches are finding the real gems rather than Ole Miss (refer to opening paragraph)?

And I must say that to my eye, we've looked a lot more like Croom/Moorhead than Mullen/Leach, as far as strength and conditioning. Maybe I am just wrong on that? We still have the same strength coach, right? Hopefully I am. Because all this to say, I don't think Arnett is a bad coach. Nothing in his past screams Croom. And we know he's much more of a hardass than Moorhead.

Anyways, a different perspective. I am bi-polar, after all. I also quit drinking recently, might be going crazy.

That's so wrong. No Leach did not take away from the defense for the offense. I'm not sure where people even get that from. But here you:
WRs:
2019- We had 21 WRs/TEs.
2022- 16 WRS

5 less than the previous staff.

RBs:

2019- 6
2022- 7

OL:
2019- 18
2022- 17

QBs:

2019- 5
2022- 5

That gave the defense 5 more players.

DL/DE:

2019- 9 DL/Ts and 10 DE
2022- 9 DL/Ts and 6 DEs So where did those 4 go? Wasn't offense

LB:

2019- 10
2022- 13 There's 3 of them

CBs:

2019- 12
2022- 8... Again, where did those 4 go?

S:

2019- 13
2022- 11

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I think its pretty obvious that if he circles the wagons and wins a couple of SEC games everyone will stop.wanting his scalp. As things stand it appears the O is improving thanks to more passing but the D gets worse every game. After going up 17 zip we were outscored by WM. C'mon man. Thats pitiful

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Just curious - what do you see to say this? I've noticed some of our DL sucking wind at times but I attributed that to supposedly being short on depth. Our skill players on offense look physical. Our rushing stats are ok if you consider we're playing 90% of our snaps without a mobile QB. The defensive problems don't seem to be from a lack of effort - seems just lack of talent. You can't teach speed and our entire defense has been lacking that. I get a similar impression of our OL. They are still trying to get comfortable in a new offense so it looks messy at times - but I also don't know that we've got NFL talent on this roster either, so how much should we really expect out of them?

Anyway - I have wondered as well what if we go 6-6. Arkansas will likely be riding a 5 game losing streak coming into the 11am kickoff with us next week, just trying to survive till their bye week. We'll see about Auburn but they could be sitting at 3-4 when we play. We're the only road game Kentucky will have for the next month, sandwiched between Tenn and Bama.

It's easy to think we're the only team having a bad year, but all of those teams are probably looking at their schedule and saying this 2nd half will define their season (just like it could for us).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's so wrong. No Leach did not take away from the defense for the offense. I'm not sure where people even get that from. But here you:
WRs:
2019- We had 21 WRs/TEs.
2022- 16 WRS

RBs:

2019- 6
2022- 7

OL:
2019- 18
2022- 17

QBs:

2019- 5
2022- 5

DL/DE:

2019- 9 DL/Ts and 10 DE

LB:

2019- 10

CBs:

2019- 12

S:

2019- 13
2022- 11

I'm probably wrong. And maybe it's getting the BEST offensive players in lieu of defense, and not just sheer numbers? Again, just trying to be positive.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just curious - what do you see to say this? I've noticed some of our DL sucking wind at times but I attributed that to supposedly being short on depth. Our skill players on offense look physical. Our rushing stats are ok if you consider we're playing 90% of our snaps without a mobile QB. The defensive problems don't seem to be from a lack of effort - seems just lack of talent. You can't teach speed and our entire defense has been lacking that. I get a similar impression of our OL. They are still trying to get comfortable in a new offense so it looks messy at times - but I also don't know that we've got NFL talent on this roster either, so how much should we really expect out of them?

Anyway - I have wondered as well what if we go 6-6. Arkansas will likely be riding a 5 game losing streak coming into the 11am kickoff with us next week, just trying to survive till their bye week. We'll see about Auburn but they could be sitting at 3-4 when we play. We're the only road game Kentucky will have for the next month, sandwiched between Tenn and Bama.

It's easy to think we're the only team having a bad year, but all of those teams are probably looking at their schedule and saying this 2nd half will define their season (just like it could for us).
Just my eye test. I may be wrong here too, and hope I am. Plus we seem to be getting hurt more, which could be simply luck.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007

Good post. But you're not bi-polar, what's the prefix for 47?

• Sad
Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
WRs:
2019- We had 21 WRs/TEs.
2022- 16 WRS

RBs:

2019- 6
2022- 7

OL:
2019- 18
2022- 17

QBs:

2019- 5
2022- 5

DL/DE:

2019- 9 DL/Ts and 10 DE

LB:

2019- 10

CBs:

2019- 12

S:

2019- 13
2022- 11

To answer the where did they go question. The portal. If I counted correctly we had 115 people on the roster in 2019 and 99 in 2022.
Of course that roster is funky because I don’t see Sawyer or Rara, so I assume it depends on when they enter the portal.

I get what you are saying about the roster but I think goat’s point was focusing on signing. If we sign 40 WR but 25 transfer, and sign 20 DL and 2 transfer, we’ll have more DL on the roster than WR but our focus was WR and we processed that position better. To give some numbers let’s look at WR/ATH and DL signees of past classes.
2016 3 WR 4 DL
2017 1 WR (Austin Williams lol) 8 DL
2021 6 WR 4 DL
2022 7 WR 3 DL

I know D staff is responsible for D signings but I have a feeling if there was a tie between a 3 Star DL and 3 Star WR for the last spot. Leach was going to go with the WR.

was21

May 29, 2007

Maybe you should just start drinking again. (Just yanking your chain) Good for you.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Take a look at Nick Saban's staff. In the early years, Saban was the DC, no if ands or buts. It took Smart years before Saban finally turned it over to him. That's the way it should be. Now, there are certain levels of 'hands on'. Mullen was more like Saban and sort of micromanaged, whereas Leach was so hands on that he hired that other guy (Dave something?) to be like the administrative head coach or something. System coaches generally do that.
In turning over your new leaf, maybe you'll listen when I tell you this. You don't seem to understand what micromanaging means. When you want a player to play and suggest it to your coordinator and the coordinator keeps doing it his way (as was the documented case with Mullen at both State & Florida), that is not micromanaging.

Aug 22, 2012
Arnett helicoptered into the Neshoba Central vs Vicksburg game at NC last week. Pretty impressive. Curious as to whose helicopter it was but that’s beside the point. No one in the game chosen for MS/AL game but some damn good looking prospects that fit the Mullen mode

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I know you guys are really into recruiting and I respect that. I'm looking for something a little simpler.

I would like to see improvement between now and the end of the season to have hope that this coach and his staff are our correct path forward or whether we should go ahead and find a different staff.

They don't have to win the every game, and they don't have to upset every team. They need to show that they are learning and filling their positions and that we are developing a more cohesive and dangerous team. It's the same way I evaluated Croom and Mullen before this crew, and I will continue to do so in any sport we have. I try not to value a coach on his record as much as the program going forward or backwards. I hate losing as the next guy does, but I wouldn't say I like being embarrassed with the product that we put in play. I don't like the idea of having rebuild a team every year as much as building a program that you plug new players into. Of course, we will also have to see what the NL does to the game and how we have to adjust to that.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I know you guys are really into recruiting and I respect that. I'm looking for something a little simpler.

I would like to see improvement between now and the end of the season to have hope that this coach and his staff are our correct path forward or whether we should go ahead and find a different staff.

They don't have to win the every game, and they don't have to upset every team. They need to show that they are learning and filling their positions and that we are developing a more cohesive and dangerous team. It's the same way I evaluated Croom and Mullen before this crew, and I will continue to do so in any sport we have. I try not to value a coach on his record as much as the program going forward or backwards. I hate losing as the next guy does, but I wouldn't say I like being embarrassed with the product that we put in play. I don't like the idea of having rebuild a team every year as much as building a program that you plug new players into. Of course, we will also have to see what the NL does to the game and how we have to adjust to that.
How about lets have a QB not have his best game of the year against us. That would be a sign of growth.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
6-6 isn’t some huge stretch. USM should be a W. Arkansas will be 2-5 and fresh off a beatdown in Tuscaloosa when we roll into town after 2 weeks of rest….with Pittman’s seat being even hotter than Arnett’s. No Kendall Briles to save him this year either. If Rogers is healthy, we can win a shootout in Fayetteville. No Malik Nabors or Leguette on that squad to just impose their will on us….although of course they will score.

If we can scrape together a W in Fayetteville, its just a matter of getting 1 of 4 against UK / Auburn / A&M / Egg Bowl. We beat 3 of those teams last year, and the 4th (UK) hasn’t beaten us in Starkville since 2008, and it took us missing an extra point in the 4th quarter just to lose that one with an awful team.

It’s very doable. But a lot depends on injuries, and us making some kind of improvements in the bye week.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
To answer the where did they go question. The portal. If I counted correctly we had 115 people on the roster in 2019 and 99 in 2022.
Of course that roster is funky because I don’t see Sawyer or Rara, so I assume it depends on when they enter the portal.

I get what you are saying about the roster but I think goat’s point was focusing on signing. If we sign 40 WR but 25 transfer, and sign 20 DL and 2 transfer, we’ll have more DL on the roster than WR but our focus was WR and we processed that position better. To give some numbers let’s look at WR/ATH and DL signees of past classes.
2016 3 WR 4 DL
2017 1 WR (Austin Williams lol) 8 DL
2021 6 WR 4 DL
2022 7 WR 3 DL

I know D staff is responsible for D signings but I have a feeling if there was a tie between a 3 Star DL and 3 Star WR for the last spot. Leach was going to go with the WR.

I understand that. What we are not accounting for are the DEs and the 3-3-5, focusing on the first 3 and the 5. Maybe Arnett recruited less DL because he uses them less? Maybe that is why we have a lot of 5s on this team? Also, it's on the coach (Arnett) to get what he needs in the portal if they are transferring out

Would be very interesting to take each signing class, count who enrolled and see the difference. Then compare the over all rosters per year.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Arnett helicoptered into the Neshoba Central vs Vicksburg game at NC last week. Pretty impressive. Curious as to whose helicopter it was but that’s beside the point. No one in the game chosen for MS/AL game but some damn good looking prospects that fit the Mullen mode
Mullen isn't our coach

Reactions: josebrown
Aug 22, 2012
Mullen isn't our coach
Really? I would have never known. Thanks for the heads up. *******
For the football IQ challenged, there were four players on the field that while not on anyone’s “list”….there was some developmental potential there (see what Mullen did with Dak, McKinney, Banks, etc).

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022

What does Arnett do well that makes him worth keeping?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
6-6 isn’t some huge stretch. USM should be a W. Arkansas will be 2-5 and fresh off a beatdown in Tuscaloosa when we roll into town after 2 weeks of rest….with Pittman’s seat being even hotter than Arnett’s. No Kendall Briles to save him this year either. If Rogers is healthy, we can win a shootout in Fayetteville. No Malik Nabors or Leguette on that squad to just impose their will on us….although of course they will score.

If we can scrape together a W in Fayetteville, its just a matter of getting 1 of 4 against UK / Auburn / A&M / Egg Bowl. We beat 3 of those teams last year, and the 4th (UK) hasn’t beaten us in Starkville since 2008, and it took us missing an extra point in the 4th quarter just to lose that one with an awful team.

It’s very doable. But a lot depends on injuries, and us making some kind of improvements in the bye week.
Arkansas game will tell us a lot. Considering all the factors that you listed, if we roll up there and get soundly beaten, we will know it's over for Arnett. We will probably lose like we lost at South Carolina, unfortunately, so we won't find out much.

I think we beat Kentucky at home. Then USM. We will see on Ole Miss, they aren't as good as people are making them out to be, and many underdogs have won that game, especially with bowl eligibility on the line.

Kinda has the feel of 2013 to me.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Arkansas game will tell us a lot. Considering all the factors that you listed, if we roll up there and get soundly beaten, we will know it's over for Arnett. We will probably lose like we lost at South Carolina, unfortunately, so we won't find out much.

I think we beat Kentucky at home. Then USM. We will see on Ole Miss, they aren't as good as people are making them out to be, and many underdogs have won that game, especially with bowl eligibility on the line.

Kinda has the feel of 2013 to me.
I dunno about feeling like 2013, but I do agree we may very well have a similar type game as we did with USCe. Fortunately for us, we get don’t get 17ed the same by the refs and just get one more stop on D than we did in Columbia, then I think we win.

I did think that it was unlikely that we’d get rid of Arnett at 5-7, but I’m starting to change my tune on that. Barring major injuries, or really bad luck on fluke plays across multiple games, we should be able to take 2 of 5 in the remaining conference games. I don’t see that being a super unrealistic expectation for him to get a 2nd year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I did think that it was unlikely that we’d get rid of Arnett at 5-7, but I’m starting to change my tune on that. Barring major injuries, or really bad luck on fluke plays across multiple games, we should be able to take 2 of 5 in the remaining conference games. I don’t see that being a super unrealistic expectation for him to get a 2nd year.
Same. I hope....HOPE....that if we can stumble into a few more wins, Arnett will do a LOT of self-reflection this offseason and re-think the big things he did wrong. I mean let's face it, he's not had a Maine.

And when I say 2013, I just mean that the season had what seemed to be a ton of incompetency and just bad luck. Remember, we had a number of posters (and boosters) clamoring to fire Mullen and hire Hud. Then we miraculously got to 6-6 and things turned out great after that.

For the record....I am NOT predicting 2014 for next year. Far from it. But we might not be as bad as we think.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I understand that. What we are not accounting for are the DEs and the 3-3-5, focusing on the first 3 and the 5. Maybe Arnett recruited less DL because he uses them less? Maybe that is why we have a lot of 5s on this team? Also, it's on the coach (Arnett) to get what he needs in the portal if they are transferring out

Would be very interesting to take each signing class, count who enrolled and see the difference. Then compare the over all rosters per year.
And I guess he kind of did that. We have 24 DBs on the 23 roster with 16 DL and 12 LB.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login