Let's run through each game - how would you have used Mike Wright?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
SELA - I thought the approach was good.
Arizona - he actually went down with touches and it made me think what was going on. Arizona had 4 turnovers in the first half and we scored 14 points. We moved the ball well in the first but had a few possessions with no points. 2nd half was the struggle bus.
LSU - This is the time when I start thinking when Will has 3-4 bad series - you have to give him a chance to play. Very limited action but led us on a scoring drive.
South Carolina - Offense wasn't the issue but we could use him a lot more and actually let him throw the ball some where it's not obvious what he is doing. Again - I am wondering his usage.
Alabama - 3 rushes for 19 yards. He maybe played 5-6 downs.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Look, we are saving this for the Egg Bowl. 3rd and 1 at midfield and we bring on Wright. He fakes the handoff and begins to take the ball around the right side then he pulls up and hits a streaking Tulu who has snuck behind the safety for a 50 yard TD. We cut the lead to 38-20 with 4 minutes left.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would definitely use him if will looks off after three series. I also wouldn't just use him one play. That gets will end him both out of rhythm. Leave him in four or five plays and hsve him pass. If we get positive yardage definitely leave him in or if we get a big play. Run tempo up to the line same personnel. If we break a big run let him pass it next play. Defense will not expect that.
Subbing him in one play a series is infuriating. The qb spot is not like receiver

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
It’s hard to say because we have no clue what he can do outside of a few runs. It is criminal that we haven’t seen more of him though

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Listen folks, Barbay molds his offense around the best 11. Once he figures that out its on like Donkey Kong. These guys can't even decide who the 5 best OL are. I don't know who is running this show but it must be somebody from the Gov't

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
I just think the offense would function better with a run threat at QB. And let me edit to say that although Mike is a "package" guy, he's also the backup QB so he has to know all the plays as well. He needs the #1 reps in practice.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Look, we are saving this for the Egg Bowl. 3rd and 1 at midfield and we bring on Wright. He fakes the handoff and begins to take the ball around the right side then he pulls up and hits a streaking Tulu who has snuck behind the safety for a 50 yard TD. We cut the lead to 38-20 with 4 minutes left.
You could have just said Poor Man’s Chris Relf and be done with it…

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
It's pretty simple. In goal to go situations and any time we are ahead of the sticks, i.e., 2nd or 3rd and 3 or less. He should never come out in those situations. Ever. On 1st down, 2nd and more than 3, sure use Will. But Will is no threat at all in the short running game and our stubborn commitment handicapping ourselves in those critical situations is astonishing.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

I will take this all day. I know it’s Missouri.

He wasn't good enough to keep the starting job.

They see him everyday in practice and even against this horrible defense, he is not producing enough to move the needle.

Why don;t we fix the actual problem that is resulting in the BS we are seeing on the field.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
S
He wasn't good enough to keep the starting job.

They see him everyday in practice and even against this horrible defense, he is not producing enough to move the needle.

Why don;t we fix the actual problem that is resulting in the BS we are seeing on the field.
Sadly, I think this is the situation. I have a friend in the athletic department. He goes to practices regularly. He said Mike is the most athletic guy on the field but he flat out cannot pass the ball. I agree he needs more snaps to use his legs, but I don’t think he is able to replace Will. The staff needs to get him more touches but he’s not an every down QB for us.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
S

Sadly, I think this is the situation. I have a friend in the athletic department. He goes to practices regularly. He said Mike is the most athletic guy on the field but he flat out cannot pass the ball. I agree he needs more snaps to use his legs, but I don’t think he is able to replace Will. The staff needs to get him more touches but he’s not an every down QB for us.
They are asking more out of Rogers in the run game. He ran it well against Bama.

The issue is the scheme. It's effecting every aspect of this team. Not just Rogers. The OL is still lost in blocking. We are converting people to position they can not play, TE.

Now common sense would be that if the OL can not block it and you do not have the TEs for what you are wanting to do, don't do it. Change it. At South Carolina, we ran ar mixed with this and it was beautiful. We even put the OL in wide splits on AR concepts. It didn;t solve everything, but it allowed us to get into a groove and keep them off balance.

Vs Bama.... horrible game plan.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
S

I don't believe that. His stats say he can at least throw 57%. What's will percentage against lsu and bama? Good ole will is sitting at 59% now that he isn't throwing 3 yard passes anymore. That's including his good game against South Carolina and an fcs school. Still early he might improve. But I will say lsu and bama defense is not what they used to be. Other qbs have done well against them this year.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
They are asking more out of Rogers in the run game. He ran it well against Bama.

The issue is the scheme. It's effecting every aspect of this team. Not just Rogers. The OL is still lost in blocking. We are converting people to position they can not play, TE.

Now common sense would be that if the OL can not block it and you do not have the TEs for what you are wanting to do, don't do it. Change it. At South Carolina, we ran ar mixed with this and it was beautiful. We even put the OL in wide splits on AR concepts. It didn;t solve everything, but it allowed us to get into a groove and keep them off balance.

Our blocking was fine against bama accept a few missed blitz pickups

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Because the air raid has worked so well against bama for three years? Did you not see Tennessee torch usc east Saturday? Their defense is just barely better than ours. We scored more points again bama Saturday than we have in a while. I know they aren't as good this year. Their defense was just bad last year too. Now their offense is at that level.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Arizona - he actually went down with touches and it made me think what was going on. Arizona had 4 turnovers in the first half and we scored 14 points. We moved the ball well in the first but had a few possessions with no points. 2nd half was the struggle bus.
LSU - This is the time when I start thinking when Will has 3-4 bad series - you have to give him a chance to play. Very limited action but led us on a scoring drive.
South Carolina - Offense wasn't the issue but we could use him a lot more and actually let him throw the ball some where it's not obvious what he is doing. Again - I am wondering his usage.
Give him 4-5 series and quit acting like he has never thrown a pass in the sec.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Unless he can play defense it doesn't matter.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Because the air raid has worked so well against bama for three years? Did you not see Tennessee torch usc east Saturday? Their defense is just barely better than ours. We scored more points again bama Saturday than we have in a while. I know they aren't as good this year. Their defense was just bad last year too. Now their offense is at that level.

It has nothing to do with it working well vs 1 team. We actually put up better numbers on the road last year vs a better bama team. WRs dropped passes for TDs etc... But that's not the point. This is a collection of misery from day 1.

Their defense last year was ranked 11th in the nation. That's not bad. They are ranked 35th this year.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
You could have just said Poor Man’s Chris Relf and be done with it…
I look at it differently. I view him as Chris Relf with extreme speed. You'd think some easy throw similar to the Pittman TD play (which Will almost missed) or the occasional shot downfield just so the D can't pin their ears back and fully sell out on the run might help for future usage.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
S

If he is the most athletic guy on the field but can’t pass, then we are dumber than I thought. Our most athletic guy should have a spot on the field somewhere. I don’t care if he is the back up QB. Put him in the game. He has one year with us and we need to use him (I think it’s only one year of eligibility at least).

I think our biggest problem is our offense has no identity whatsoever, unless being lost is the identity. If we are lost and confused, then having an athletic QB in the game who can scramble is much more preferable.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Someone on the shuttle Saturday night said if we bench Will Rogers it will hurt us with high school recruiting. The other person said who cares, hit the transfer portal every year.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I would have used him starting in the second quarter of the Arizona game and only took him out for a breather.
We would have still only won 2 games, but I would feel like we had a shot to do better.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If our AD listens to fans about who should be playing QB and takes any action, including even a conversation, with ZA because of it, he should be fired.
He should listen because if he loses the fans and we stop buying season tickets he should be fired.. He needs to have the ears of the fans. Fans count just as much as the coaches even more.

• Sad

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He should listen because if he loses the fans and we stop buying season tickets he should be fired.. He needs to have the ears of the fans. Fans count just as much as the coaches even more.
That's not how you lead. If he did that I would want him gone. Set achievable goals, hold people accountable to those goals. Adjust if circumstances dictate. That being said, AD is leadership and political and somewhat beholding to big money donors, so it has to suck as a job.

Reactions: GloryDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That's not how you lead. If he did that I would want him gone. Set achievable goals, hold people accountable to those goals. Adjust if circumstances dictate. That being said, AD is leadership and political and somewhat beholding to big money donors, so it has to suck as a job.
You are correct it's a tough position, but he is being paid more than 99% of the people in Mississippi. It is his job and sometimes he needs to have a heart-to-heart prayer meeting with the coach and explain how it is. You can find a new coach but once you lose the fans it is tough to get them back.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I wouldn’t have used Wright at all until
SEC play. What he has been doing is so very simple, he didn’t need game reps. Now, if he was actually allowed to run the offense I would’ve used him from game one.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
At least one series per half. More, if it sparked something that was otherwise unsparked, and needed sparking...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login