Liberty Bowl Renovations: Lipstick on a pig or actually substantive?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Unless they uproot the whole damn thing and move it to Eads, it's just lipstick on a pig. But the most substantive thing they're discussing is putting a "halo" on it for updated luxury options and an updated press box. That place is in dire need of significant upgrades and modernizations underneath the stands, and it would benefit greatly from chairbacks. I've always liked watching games in that stadium - the sightlines are great. But it's in a bad location and stuck in a time warp.

ETA: They may not get all the funds outlined in the article. It's part of a larger funding package that includes upgrades to FedExForum, Autozone Park, and construction of a new soccer stadium next to the Liberty Bowl on the footprint of the Mid South Coliseum. But of all those things, FedExForum is going to be the priority.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This will help them keep the Liberty Bowl viable, that's it. It's not going to help in conference realignment.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I have always enjoyed going to games there. The only downside was driving through a third world country to reach the stadium.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I have friends and a co-workers that used to be season ticket holders for Memphis football but they are not renewing their tickets this year. The main complaint is the safety around the area. If you do not have a parking pass inside the grounds you have to park on campus and take a buss or park in some sketchy areas. They have reduced the amount of parking inside the liberty park due to the new sports complex. Also it could take hours to get to your car via the shuttle busses and walking to your car is not an option after dark.

I don't think the conditions will improve either.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
My days of going to that stadium are long gone. Unless I’m in someone else’s vehicle.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
My pregant wife and I went left when we should have gone right leaving the croom liberty bowl. Scariest walk of my life. God bless the couple we passed who promised to come back if they found a taxi.

Reactions: fieldcorporal

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
I have always enjoyed going to games there. The only downside was driving through a third world country to reach the stadium.
If you were coming from the south, I would agree, but the neighborhoods north, west, and east are not bad. Cooper-Young is one of the more popular areas in Midtown.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
I have friends and a co-workers that used to be season ticket holders for Memphis football but they are not renewing their tickets this year. The main complaint is the safety around the area. If you do not have a parking pass inside the grounds you have to park on campus and take a buss or park in some sketchy areas. They have reduced the amount of parking inside the liberty park due to the new sports complex. Also it could take hours to get to your car via the shuttle busses and walking to your car is not an option after dark.

I don't think the conditions will improve either.
We used to park on the street in the Cooper-Young neighborhood all the time with no problems aside from a long-ish walk. Cops were always stationed on East Parkway to help you get across.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
I'd like to know how many upgrades the stadium has received in the last 20 years....throwing money down a hole.
The only major upgrades I am aware of were the tailgating area and fountain plaza built about 10 years ago. That work also required the relocation of one of the historic Fairgrounds gates. For the stadium itself I think they did some seismic assessments and reinforcements, along with some ADA compliance upgrades shortly after that. Non-cosmetic stuff that was otherwise required to be done.

I agree with some of the others that anything they do to the Liberty Bowl is going to look like window dressing until they decide to tear down and rebuild entire sections of it. At one time there was a proposal that UM had to build a new stadium in Audubon Park in East Memphis which would be a lot closer to campus. I think it got leaked and the kibbosh was put on it because it would have been a public engagement nightmare from the surrounding neighborhoods.

Reactions: knock him out john

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
We used to park on the street in the Cooper-Young neighborhood all the time with no problems aside from a long-ish walk. Cops were always stationed on East Parkway to help you get across.
Your key phrase if "used to". I used to be a proponent of Memphis isn't as bad as everyone says it is and for the most part I was right. In the past 3 or 4 months the petty crime (primarily car break ins and thefts) has gotten bad enough that I limit my my time spent inside the 240 loop and don't even think about going to the wolfchase area or downtown. It's seems like ever since the Tyre Nichols debacle crime is getting out of hand and spreading over into Germantown and Collerville at a rapid pace.

My wife's company has a team competing at BBQ fest and we are not going because of the crime and unruliness around downtown.

Reactions: Seinfeld

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Your key phrase if "used to". I used to be a proponent of Memphis isn't as bad as everyone says it is and for the most part I was right. In the past 3 or 4 months the petty crime (primarily car break ins and thefts) has gotten bad enough that I limit my my time spent inside the 240 loop and don't even think about going to the wolfchase area or downtown. It's seems like ever since the Tyre Nichols debacle crime is getting out of hand and spreading over into Germantown and Collerville at a rapid pace.

My wife's company has a team competing at BBQ fest and we are not going because of the crime and unruliness around downtown.
I hear ya, man. I spent 18 years growing up in Memphis, and then my wife and I spent another 7 years in Olive Branch after moving around a bit. My wife's a UofM grad, we love the Grizz, and the city will always have a place in my heart, but there's only so much you can say or do to defend it. Full disclosure, one of the main reasons we left about 6 years ago was because our two kids were just getting to be school age, and there wasn't a chance that we were going to put our kids in that school system. One of these days, I hope that my wife and I can get a small condo downtown so that we can enjoy an occasional weekend or basketball game there, but right now, it just it is what it is

Regarding the stadium, I don't know who has duped Memphis into thinking that burning $200M on this renovation is going to be the magic sauce to get them into a P5 conference, but I'll believe that when I see it. In the meantime, knowing Memphis leaders like I do, half of this alleged $200M will disappear, the project will go way over budget and miss milestones due to being run by a bunch of incompetent crooks, and all of this will ultimately be a bunch of money down the drain. I actually don't mind the Liberty Bowl at all now, but two of its biggest problems aren't going to be fixed by money. 1) Location and 2) It's a wide open concrete bowl in the middle of a gigantic asphalt parking lot. In other words, in Sep/Oct, it will fry you like a chicken wing, and their gameday operations will have only planned for enough water to last through the 1st qtr

Reactions: aTotal360

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Memphis messed up a couple of ways.
1. They should have built an on campus stadium years ago.
2. All the money they have blown over the years for professional football leagues they should have used that to lobby the SEC on becoming a member

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Just did that last season. No problems. I don't go to the games, but I have friends I tailgate with on Tiger Lane. As usual for a big city, you have to pay attention and be aware of your surroundings. I don't disagree that things have taken a turn for the worse, but it ain't as bad as some make it out to be.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003

"Used to" because I moved to Jacksonville, FL due to losing my job in Memphis because of Covid. We lived inside I-240 for 13 years before that and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I wish we had a city and State that could pour millions into stadium renovations. Our lower west and east side need it badly.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Memphis has no where to build an on campus stadium. Unless they are going to buy surrounding property and Bulldoze the houses or businesses on those properties. Makes sense to put money in a stadium that is a mile away from campus.

speaking of dangerous, someone shot up 7-8 cars in the middle of the night at student apartments near Mississippi State a few weeks ago. No person was shot that I heard.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
This will help them keep the Liberty Bowl viable, that's it. It's not going to help in conference realignment.
Talked to a Memphis big booster. Said they aren't concerned with conference realignment any more. Said now that playoff expansion goes to 12 teams that the AAC Champion will have an automatic bid in the playoffs. I didn't know that, but he said for sure that they did. Thus, they don't need to look for a conference to get into. Just stay right where they are. The Tigers usually finish near the top of their conference in a lot of years, and now have a better chance to make the playoffs than say Ole Miss or Miss. State does in the SEC.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Talked to a Memphis big booster. Said they aren't concerned with conference realignment any more. Said now that playoff expansion goes to 12 teams that the AAC Champion will have an automatic bid in the playoffs. I didn't know that, but he said for sure that they did.
Yeah.. tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The field will be determined by the 6 highest conference champions and then the next 6 highest ranked teams.

And Memphis in the playoffs?... Boy, I can't wait to watch Memphis vs somebody like LSU in a game that matters. Riveting television.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Talked to a Memphis big booster. Said they aren't concerned with conference realignment any more. Said now that playoff expansion goes to 12 teams that the AAC Champion will have an automatic bid in the playoffs. I didn't know that, but he said for sure that they did. Thus, they don't need to look for a conference to get into. Just stay right where they are. The Tigers usually finish near the top of their conference in a lot of years, and now have a better chance to make the playoffs than say Ole Miss or Miss. State does in the SEC.

Don't mean this as a shot to your friend, but if this Memphis booster thinks a conference with the following teams is getting an auto bid to the CFP, he really needs to get more engaged

UCF
Memphis
SMU
USF
Temple
ECU
Tulane
Temple
Navy
Tulsa
Charlotte
FAU
N Texas
Rice
UAB
UTSA

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah.. tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The field will be determined by the 6 highest conference champions and then the next 6 highest ranked teams.

And Memphis in the playoffs?... Boy, I can't wait to watch Memphis vs somebody like LSU in a game that matters. Riveting television.
I could see maybe one G5 team getting an auto-bid, similar to the BCS/Big 6. But it won't be based on conference.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Don't mean this as a shot to your friend, but if this Memphis booster thinks a conference with the following teams is getting an auto bid to the CFP, he really needs to get more engaged

UCF
Memphis
SMU
USF
Temple
ECU
Tulane
Temple
Navy
Tulsa
Charlotte
FAU
N Texas
Rice
UAB
UTSA
AAC getting an auto bid? Somebody alert the big 5 conferences.

AAC was a decent little mid major conference until the programs worth a **** left.

Then again, I probably should have stopped at "Memphis booster." There isn't a more pathetic creature on earth. Luckily, there's only a couple dozen of them running around.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

UCF
Memphis
SMU
USF
Temple
ECU
Tulane
Temple
Navy
Tulsa
Charlotte
FAU
N Texas
Rice
UAB
UTSA
UCF will be Big 12 in about 2 months, which furthers your point.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Again.. there are NO auto bids. Read the purple highlight.

Click here
I think he means the auto-bids that the 6th highest ranked conference champions get. You would assume the SEC, Big Ten, Pac, ACC, and Big 12 eat up 5 of those, then it's going to be probably be the top G5 team.

The American has had 5 NY6 appearances, the most of the G5, but 3 of those teams, (Cincy, UCF, and Houston), are leaving for the Big 12 in 2 months. Mountain West has had 1 (Boise State) and the MAC has had 1 (Western Michigan). Sun Belt and Conference USA have never had NY6 participant.

If we go back to the BCS, where the Big East/AAC had an AQ standing, they had 16 berths, all automatic, but none of those teams are going to be in the AAC in the upcoming season (Miami, WV, Cincy, Louisville, UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, UCF, VT). The non-AQ rules were kinda squishy back then requiring a top 12 ranking or to be ranked ahead of an AQ champion. The Mountain West had 4, but neither of those teams are currently in the MWC (TCU, Utah). The WAC had two, which are currently in the MWC (Boise State, Hawaii). The MAC had one, Northern Illinois. The Sun Belt and Conference USA never appeared in a BCS game.

I think going forward, the gap between the AAC and Sun Belt is going to be closer than it was before and I think those are the conferences that will provide the 6th champion most years with a breakout MWC or MAC champ thrown in every few years. I would put MWC right up there with AAC and Sun Belt, but I think they're about to get raided by a desperate Pac. The Conference USA champ will get in during years where the Earth, Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn align AND a full moon happens on Leap Day.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login