Like most folks I wish Tulu could get the ball in open space…

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
whether it is hand offs, wildcat, or WR. However, I see nothing changing. Coach has his preferences for the proper rotations and positions. It is my hope that Tulu is happy at MSU and believes in the system as much as our coach. I have no clue if he is or isn’t.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
What’s everyone’s obsession with Tulu? Yeah, I like him on kick returns but he hasn’t done anything on offense in three years where I’d pound the table to get him on the field. 46 catches, 1 touchdown, long of 32. I get that’s he’s fast, but it’s not elite - elite speed doesn’t get caught on that return. If anything, I want him on the field less because he’s taking reps away from RaRa. Maybe it’s just me.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I realize it's different routes etc etc, but imo he could take Walley's spot on the inside. He ain't doing sh*t this year. Tulu, Rara, Rufus and Ducking on the field together. I would like to see more of Robinson too

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Wanting Tulu on the field less is a phenomenal take.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That’s not the worst idea. His talent profile is basically that of a poor man’s Cordarrelle Patterson.
Or Dexter McCluster.

What I'm starting to realize, is that people like myself who remember the mid-2000s of college football well......are getting old.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Our 225 rbs are getting physically smashed in this offense. Tulu is 160 lbs. This ain't Dexter McCluster's offense.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm not Bill Walsh, but the answer seems fairly simple. Put him at the slot and not the X. I don't think it takes some sort of exotic plan. Mismatch him against nickel and dime safeties.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I see him sort of like the college version of Cordarell Patterson in the NFL. He's elite at kick returns and good enough to play offense, but he's just average at WR (and would probably be the same at RB).

People seem to think he's like Randall Cobb and should be doing a little of everything because he's good at returning kicks. Randall Cobb did a little of everything because he was great at everything he did. Tulu hasn't really shown that yet even though he's been given quite a few chances at WR.

Aug 22, 2012
Ruckus I think that what most on here see is a receiver that has some explosion who, on limited snaps, is only getting routes within 5 yards of scrimmage. And of those, he isn’t being thrown the ball despite being open quite a bit. I went back and watched the LSU game. What I saw was an open receiver with only a couple of balls thrown his way, and the only one fighting for extra yardage, not dancing around like 4 does trying to fake someone out. The kid is super talented but slight in build. Ask anyone about him in the weight room, he is quite strong for his build. As for being caught, check out the guy that caught him…..one of only two on LSU roster with Tulu type speed. And this was after amassing quite a bit of all purpose yardage on the day. He needs more opportunities….end of story. Him on the field less is a bizarre take in my opinion

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I’d rather have them both on the field at the same time with Tulu also playing roles in the wildcat or at RB. The rules will allow it.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
With any other staff they both could be on the field, but we haven’t seen that yet. So if I’m choosing between the two, I want the proven playmaker with size on the outside against tall corners. I also have no desire to see him at rb in this offense when our 200lb+ rb’s take a beating every week.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I said I want him on the field less because it takes RaRa off the field, which is true, and RaRa is a better player at that position. There’s no arguing that. Tulu may be great in the slot and our best option, but he’s not there. He takes reps from the best receiver on the team. It’s dumb, but it is what it is.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
A few check downs are not going to end his season anymore so than that Tunnel screen or crossing route.

ServiceDogg

Nov 19, 2017
I agree. Give Tulu the ball in space and let him run.

I wouldn't mind also seeing us send Tulu in motion and hand him the ball on a reverse...or maybe have the threat of the reverse to throw off the defense.
Let's also get this young talent and speed more opportunities to touch the ball like Zavion Thomas had at LSU.
Although Thomas is a true freshman, he stepped up big time at LSU.
Both Jordan Mosley and Zavion Thomas were track stars. Put the ball in their hands more so they can put pressure on the opposing defense.

Gimme a starting rotation of Rara, Tulu, Walley and somebody that can hold down that other outside spot...maybe Justin Robinson deserves a shot.

By the way....whatever happened to Scoobie Ford? That dude seemed pretty fast and played hard.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
It seems the coaches were more concerned about having a better 2 deep than having their best 4 receivers on the field together. As it stands, the coaches are saying that Rara, Williams, Harvey, and Ducking are all better weapons than Tulu. I think most people disagree.

I'm still way more concerned about our Right and Left tackles being left in isolation against SEC d-ends. And I'm more concerned about teams playing 2 deep safety, taking away downfield passing and teeing off on the short stuff. But it's easier to just complain about Tulu.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He’s not wrong.

46 catches and how many returns? And what has he done?

It’s not like he hasn’t had chances.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
It's not complicated. When he touches the ball he makes plays. No one is arguing he should take RaRa's snaps. RaRa is a that dude.

How many teams in the country would play Tulu as an outside WR? We may be the only one. I understand you may need to be on the SEC good works team and have 2 degrees to play the slot in this system but that's more of an indictment of the system imo. Most good coaches will tell you think players and not plays.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login