Likely permanent 3 according to Dellenger

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Dellenger has talked to insiders and says these are likely permanent 3 opponents. I would take that all day- Ole Miss, Kentucky, A&M. Sign me up.

Auburn probably has the toughest. Drew Alabama and UGA so they gave them Vandy as a consolation.

Hope this embeds correctly from Twitter:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Germany Beer GIF by SVT

Reactions: DawgsGoneWild

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Dellenger has talked to insiders and says these are likely permanent 3 opponents. I would take that all day- Ole Miss, Kentucky, A&M. Sign me up.

Auburn probably has the toughest. Drew Alabama and UGA so they gave them Vandy as a consolation.
They have the two best programs in college football as perm opponents. Yikes!

Bama has the second toughest set of perm opponents (if last season wasn't an "one off" for LSU and UT).

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There should be a monument to Cohen or whoever negotiated this.

Once upon a time the three would have been Alabama, Auburn and LSU. Then we'd have played Ole Miss as one of our non-conference games. If you don't believe it, it's because you're too young to know.
After officially released, I'm sure there will be big story on the "back room" discussions and that will be very interesting.

People don't understand Saban's complaining. He plays chess when everyone esle is playing checkers. Even if those three are the opponents he truly wants, acting like Bama is getting screwed is wise, that way the next time there are any negotiations, they can say, "remember last time, we got screwed."

I'm most interested to learn what leadership at the Barn thinks, they got screwed, blued and tattooed.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I know it is what it is, but I hate playing Mississippi in anything. I wish we could get rid of them. It’s never fun. I hate them too much. When we win it’s more a since of relief than joy, and when we lose it makes me want to throw up. I would support never playing those people again in anything. I know I am probably alone on this one but I don’t care. It’s just the way I feel.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I'm most interested to learn what leadership at the Barn thinks, they got screwed, blued and tattooed.
I made a brief comment on this in the other thread, but if Auburn is upset about anything it is getting stuck with Vandy.

Auburn-UGA is "The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry". They have played each other over 125 times. Auburn is proud of that and doesn't want to lose it. If they had to choose, they would rather play UGA every year than Bama. But they also don't want to back out of the Iron Bowl.

Auburn's two other favorite rivals are Florida and UT. Thet used to play both of them under the old 6 game SEC schedule. They would rather play either of them than Vandy....they used to make fun of Bama for having Vandy on its permanent schedule.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm a bit surprised we didn't get Bama rather than UK and UT get UK instead of Bama.

Those make much more geographic sense and UT has been about as inept vs Bama as we have for many years before this one.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I know it is what it is, but I hate playing Mississippi in anything. I wish we could get rid of them. It’s never fun. I hate them too much. When we win it’s more a since of relief than joy, and when we lose it makes me want to throw up. I would support never playing those people again in anything. I know I am probably alone on this one but I don’t care. It’s just the way I feel.
I don't hate Ole Miss, several of may closest friends are Rebelbearsharks and one is fairly high up in administration there. They are all good guys and don't go overboard (the same way I am about State). But I feel too many our fans identity is hating Ole Miss or beating Ole Miss, I'd rather turn our fan energy to beating LSU or Bama.

Reactions: was21

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Only fair if we get Ole Miss, Vandy and Kentucky
The only reason you’d want to root for this is if you wanted to be left out of the playoffs with 1 loss because of a weak schedule.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The only reason you’d want to root for this is if you wanted to be left out of the playoffs with 1 loss because of a weak schedule.
Strength of schedule won't matter as much with the 12-team playoff. Plus with our rotating 6 SEC teams, our schedule would still be one of the 20 or so toughest schedules in the nation anyway.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There's a real simple reason why Bama fans are crying because we're not a permanent opponent that has nothing to do with tradition. Yeah, I had a Bama try to tell me it was tradition to play Mississippi State until I pointed out one thing

87-17-3

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Too much is being put into this. With a nine game SEC schedule you will play each of the other SEC teams twice every four years. That's going to be the best thing about it. Every SEC school will come to MSU at least once every four years. It can be a decade now.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Too much is being put into this. With a nine game SEC schedule you will play your will play each of the other SEC teams twice every four years. That's going to be the best thing about it. Every SEC school will come to MSU at least once every four years. It can be a decade now.
Exactly. I'm not going to say it doesn't matter at all who your permanent opponents are, but it's not anywhere near as important as it has been. We're going to play 4 (plus or minus 1) of the top 8 teams every year no matter who the permanents are.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
My #1 wish in this realignment deal was to not have to play Bama every single year. OM, UK, and aTm is about as excellent a trio as I could have hoped for. I'd personally rather trade aTm for Arkansas since I have lots of Hog buddies, but oh well.

Since we got such a favorable trio, I'm sure the rotation will work out now where we get Bama, UGA, LSU all in the same year...

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I don't hate Ole Miss, several of may closest friends are Rebelbearsharks and one is fairly high up in administration there. They are all good guys and don't go overboard (the same way I am about State). But I feel too many our fans identity is hating Ole Miss or beating Ole Miss, I'd rather turn our fan energy to beating LSU or Bama.
I appreciate your comments. I think it all depends on your personal experience with their fan base. I am an older fan. We went through 18 straight games with them when I was a kid where we lost or on a couple of occasions managed a tie. Their fans were a$$ hole$. I went to school with a guy whose brother was Archie Mannings roommate. Life in football season was almost unbearable. We finally won won in approximately 1963 and then I don’t we won another one unfortunately 7-8 more years. It was not a fun time. Did I mention that their fans that we knew back then were a$$ hole$? So I think it just depends on your personal experience with them. I am glad that your experience has been pretty reasonable. I wish I could say the same. My solution has been to just stay away from them. I don’t attend games with them in any sport. I also do my best to avoid any local businesses run by large rebel supporters. The thought that one penny of my money could ever get forwarded to their program is unacceptable. As I mentioned in my original post, I realize that I probably stand alone on this and that’s ok. People are molded by their life’s experiences and my experiences with them over the last almost 70 years can be described as poor at best.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I appreciate your comments. I think it all depends on your personal experience with their fan base. I am an older fan. We went through 18 straight games with them when I was a kid where we lost or on a couple of occasions managed a tie. Their fans were a$$ hole$. I went to school with a guy whose brother was Archie Mannings roommate. Life in football season was almost unbearable. We finally won won in approximately 1963 and then I don’t we won another one unfortunately 7-8 more years. It was not a fun time. Did I mention that their fans that we knew back then were a$$ hole$? So I think it just depends on your personal experience with them. I am glad that your experience has been pretty reasonable. I wish I could say the same. My solution has been to just stay away from them. I don’t attend games with them in any sport. I also do my best to avoid any local businesses run by large rebel supporters. The thought that one penny of my money could ever get forwarded to their program is unacceptable. As I mentioned in my original post, I realize that I probably stand alone on this and that’s ok. People are molded by their life’s experiences and my experiences with them over the last almost 70 years can be described as poor at best.
No problem man! I was kind of cringed when one the posters on this board suggested we "take over" the pavilion for our game up there, why should a large portion of fans put money in their pockets?

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My #1 wish in this realignment deal was to not have to play Bama every single year. OM, UK, and aTm is about as excellent a trio as I could have hoped for. I'd personally rather trade aTm for Arkansas since I have lots of Hog buddies, but oh well.

Since we got such a favorable trio, I'm sure the rotation will work out now where we get Bama, UGA, LSU all in the same year...
Yes! There's no easy want to get to College Station and there's not much to it when you're there. Would have rather had Ark, but we made out great on this deal (if it comes to be as proposed).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login