Listening to what little media coverage we get...

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I get the impression that, if we fire Zach Arnett, folks outside the state are going to be SHOCKED. Andy Staples and Bud Elliot are the only national media types who have wondered if Arnett is in trouble.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I don’t think anyone is going to be shocked.
How many coaches have been fired after one season in college football? Not many. John L Smith was the last one I can remember, and he was hired in April of that year after Petrino got shitcanned.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
How many coaches have been fired after one season in college football? Not many. John L Smith was the last one I can remember, and he was hired in April of that year after Petrino got shitcanned.

How many coaches have only been hired in an emergency because the previous coach died and no AD was in place either?

Arnett was hired under unprecedented circumstances. Nothing says we can’t move on in short order.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I don't think Ole Miss will blow us out in the EB. Doing so would jeopardize the Thanksgiving game going forward and they definitely don't want that to happen. ESPN wants people tuned in so they can make money. It may be something like the Auburn game with us losing by a couple of touchdowns running out of time.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I don't think Ole Miss will blow us out in the EB. Doing so would jeopardize the Thanksgiving game going forward and they definitely don't want that to happen. ESPN wants people tuned in so they can make money. It may be something like the Auburn game with us losing by a couple of touchdowns running out of time.
With the NFL now having a game on Thanksgiving night, there will be literally 10's of people watching an NCAA game on Thanksgiving night. MAYBE Bama vs Ohio state could compete against bottom of the barrel teams like the Broncos vs Bears but they'd still probably get smoked by the NFL. The NCAA just needs to drop the Thanksgiving game altogether.

Reactions: SirBarksalot

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
I think Lane will do just enough to win, keep his guys healthy, and look forward to post season play. No reason to beat State down and run the score up taking a chance on injuries when he can just win comfortably and move on safely. That’s smart coaching and that’s what Lane will do. Just like Vandy last week. He could have raked the ‘Dores, but just beat ‘em and rested up for this week. It’s what a smart coach does.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
So what you are saying is, OM would be in on an ESPN fix. Ok.👌

Just for some context regarding Thanksgiving games.
Last years Egg Bowl was the most watched in 5yrs with 2.23m viewers.

For comparison the Patriots/Vikings night game had 24m viewers, Cowboys/Giants 40m viewers, Bills/Lions 31 million viewers.

Last edited:

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
So what you are saying is, OM would be in on an ESPN fix. Ok.👌

Just for some context regarding Thanksgiving games.
Last years Egg Bowl was the most watched in 5yrs with 2.23m viewers.

For comparison the Patriots/Vikings night game had 24m viewers, Cowboys/Giants 40m viewers, Bills/Lions 31 million viewers.
Losing by 14 instead of 35 isn't a fix. Auburn could have scored another 14 to 21 but didn't. It is called knowing your audience. If you live in Utah and you watch the Egg Bowl because you hope Ole Miss will lose so your team moves up in the polls will you continue to watch a blowout game? ESPN is paying the bills whether we want to admit it or not.

No doubt we are the little guys on Thanksgiving.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login