LLWS

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Why is ESPN calling the team Chinese Taipei, who in the U.S. calls Taiwan that?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Why is ESPN calling the team Chinese Taipei, who in the U.S. calls Taiwan that?
They're called that in every international sporting competition - Olympics, World Baseball Classic, World Cup (not that they've ever qualified for that), etc. It's the official name of all of their teams.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I had trouble pulling for that Tenn team because of Vandy and Tenn baseball. Does that make me a bad person?

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
They're called that in every international sporting competition - Olympics, World Baseball Classic, World Cup (not that they've ever qualified for that), etc. It's the official name of all of their teams.
It's a concession to the Chinese, who claim the country as theirs.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Mississippi has never had a team make it.
We have had good teams but cannot get through our region (Texas!). Do many teams play LL in Mississippi?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It has teams from West Texas, East Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Oklahoma. It seems odd we are South West. This is played annually up the road in Waco in August. It's the hottest month and I always feel bad for these kids having to play in the heat.

It's usually one of the Texas and Louisiana teams in the finals. Starkville has represented Mississippi several times and has done well. This year, they were eliminated when the Head Coach reached out to grab and stop the potential tying runner when he rounded third base. I felt terrible because you could see he didn't mean to do it. He did it out of reflex, trying to stop/coach the player. He was called out after he touched him. I felt bad for him because I could see myself doing the same thing back when I was assisting my son's baseball teams.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login