Local businesses / NIL

Does public support of State's NIL impact which businesses you patronize?

• Yes, their success is connected to State's athletic success. They should publicly support NIL.

• No, NIL is ruining college sports. Why would I care if a business supports it?

• a more nuanced response (comment below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Looking at the corporate sponsors of the Bulldog Initiative, I was surprised at a couple businesses not listed. I'm not calling them out because (1) of course, they can do what they want and (2) for all I know, they choose to give privately.

If I owned a Starkville business, I would want people to associate patronizing my business with supporting State's NIL efforts. After all, my bottom line would be affected by State's on-field success.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Looking at the corporate sponsors of the Bulldog Initiative, I was surprised at a couple businesses not listed. I'm not calling them out because (1) of course, they can do what they want and (2) for all I know, they choose to give privately.

If I owned a Starkville business, I would want people to associate patronizing my business with supporting State's NIL efforts. After all, my bottom line would be affected by State's on-field success.
I’ll revert to my anti-cancelling stance. Also it’s highly unlikely that I’d ever take the time to look and see who did and did not and then use that information to base my spending. If I’m in Starkville I’m going to my favorite places.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’ll revert to my anti-cancelling stance. Also it’s highly unlikely that I’d ever take the time to look and see who did and did not and then use that information to base my spending. If I’m in Starkville I’m going to my favorite places.
This.

The great majority of the sponsors are GTR based and/or are in business sectors where I wouldn’t be considered a regular or valued customer.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I might be wrong but I don’t think there are any Starkville businesses that are openly anti-State. I think everyone understands wins=business but not everyone has the means to give to NIL

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
With or without NIL we will never compete with the big boys for recruits. They are going to get the same guys they were going to get anyways. So I say yes with this idea for existing players to show appreciation. If they can get some free food or clothes let it rock.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I might be wrong but I don’t think there are any Starkville businesses that are openly anti-State. I think everyone understands wins=business but not everyone has the means to give to NIL
Based on their long history of providing cars for plantation players, I doubt that Cannon Motors has any sincere interest in supporting our athletic programs. I consider them to be da debil and would walk before buying anything from them.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I went with nuanced.
I think they should support but doing it publicly means nothing.

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
I think the better question is: would cobranding products or services with the bulldog initiative logo on them cause you to choose one product over another? Or would selling the logo for a nominal fee to business like a maroon friday sponsorship cause you to choose that businesses service over another.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
That's fair, but I don't think anyone is calling for anyone to be canceled over not supporting NIL.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
“Every” retail or restaurant business in Starkville could give at least $1,000 annually.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I am absolutely more likely to do business with businesses that support Mississippi State. And I will never buy a car from Cannon Moters.
I second this statement. If I know a business is supporting our university in most cases that’s where I’m going first. Not that I won’t shop at other places but in general I’m supporting stores that proudly donate to State.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That's fair, but I don't think anyone is calling for anyone to be canceled over not supporting NIL.
Glad to see this part because even though you said you weren’t calling out particular businesses you’d mentioned you were surprised that two weren’t included.

I know you gave your reasoning with points 1 & 2 but it still made me wonder that you were thinking about them privately in that manner and if their lack of publicity is something that would affect how much you’d support them by being a customer.

Anyway, glad to see that it’s not the case.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012

I get it that this is basically an advertising deal, and a business could look at it like that. For example, if they give $1000/yr or more to the NIL they get to place the decal on their door that says so.

It might be a good deal unless everyone else in their line of business is doing the same thing, in which case it's just the cost of doing business.

However, what about business owners that don't care about sports but contribute money to MSU's scholarship fund, or to MSU directly? Should they be punished for that? Are we going to ask small business owners to stop contributing to MSU as a whole in order to fund our sports programs? And isn't that kind of an ***-backwards philosophy?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
However, what about business owners that don't care about sports but contribute money to MSU's scholarship fund, or to MSU directly? Should they be punished for that? Are we going to ask small business owners to stop contributing to MSU as a whole in order to fund our sports programs? And isn't that kind of an ***-backwards philosophy?

I see these tweets and think, "Cool. I'll grab a pulled pork sandwich and a cup of coffee from these two establishments next time I'm in Starkville."

Other establishments are welcome to not care about sports, but that doesn't mean I can't care about sports.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I'm not canceling, but I do expect Starkville businesses to be able to afford $100/ month out of the ad budget for a sticker.

Edit to say: IMO, this applies to West Point, Louisville, Ackerman, Macon, and Columbus, too. All of those places benefit from MSU being nearby.

I hope the Louisville Travel Center has a sticker next year. They should be Platinum level

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Cannon is one of MSU athletics biggest supporters
Going to disagree on this one. They remind me of that old song by the OJays. “Smiling faces show no traces of the evil that lurks within. Can you dig it?” They have been involved in illegal football recruiting for OM for over 30 years. Every single time that OM has been under investigation by the NCAA their name has been included. They will never get a penny from me.

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm not canceling, but I do expect Starkville businesses to be able to afford $100/ month out of the ad budget for a sticker.

Edit to say: IMO, this applies to West Point, Louisville, Ackerman, Macon, and Columbus, too. All of those places benefit from MSU being nearby.

I hope the Louisville Travel Center has a sticker next year. They should be Platinum level
Understood. I just don't have/take the time to follow who is/isn't. If I took that time, it might impact my ability to routinely contribute my vast wisdom to SPS.***

• Haha

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Another framing of this question: "If a Jackson business publicly supported the Grove Collective only, would you be less likely to patronize the business?"

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I went with "nuanced." I like that the Initiative is giving stickers to their sponsors so that they can publicly display their support. I also think that any local business that benefits from increased gameday revenue should be supporting the Initiative at whatever level is required to get a sticker. If there are two business that offer the same/similar product that I'm already looking to buy and one has a sticker, I'll probably lean towards the one that has the sticker.

That said, I'm not going to specifically avoid a local business that doesn't have a sticker in their window.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I see these tweets and think, "Cool. I'll grab a pulled pork sandwich and a cup of coffee from these two establishments next time I'm in Starkville."

Other establishments are welcome to not care about sports, but that doesn't mean I can't care about sports.

Yeah that’s the way I look at it. I’m not going to say, hey I really wanted to go to Commodore Bob’s but they don’t support NIL. But if I’m in between places and one does, I’m more likely to go. I’m also okay with businesses that have multiple locations not supporting NIL. If you don’t do it for any schools because you have locations in all three towns that’s completely understandable.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login