Long proves Lemonis won’t change

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He is what he is. He’s going to play certain guys regardless and it will bite us.

Lemonis has shown to let his personal feelings about a player take precedent over the team. Here are a few examples:

1. Hatcher getting the at bats he got when he struggled beyond believe
2. Luke Hancock playing every day for 4 years and playing 1b over a draft pick stunting the growth of younger players when we sucked
3. Lane forsythe- need I say more
4. Turning Landon sims into a starter was a move for Landon not Mississippi state

there are others but I’ll stop there.

Johnny long just finished the worst season ever by a Mississippi state player. Yet he started over half the games. He finished 2 in the sec in passed balls, and I went back 20 years and didn’t see anyone that had caught the amount of games he caught and never threw anyone out. In 150 at bats he got 1 extra base hit, finished with a 180 average and finished the year on an 0 for 23 stretch, yet Lemonis continued to play him.

Lemonis doubled down after the game about our OOC, despite the fact we missed hosting due to our terrible RPI. Saying the way he schedules won’t change.

i say all this to say lemonis is what he is. If he blindly finds ways to play guys everyone knows aren’t best. He puts certain players over the team. He’s already gone on record to say the schedule won’t change despite us not hosting……

if all that is the case our team will never change. All the mistakes. The fundamentals. The bad base running. The little league innings. The pen misusage. The lack of discipline. It’s not going to change. This is who Lemonis is and this is the teams he produces. Not here to try to convince you if you’re happy with it or not…. But based on his comments and track record… he has zero plans to change his ways, so I think after 3 years of having his players in here, we are starting to see what that looks like

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Point is and was:

These are obvious faults when it comes to Lemonis. He just started the worst player in msu history over the last 50 years for half the season and in the biggest game of the season. If he isn’t even semi interested in changing them… then why would one believe all of a sudden the issues we’ve seen pop up time after time change?

they aren’t. So you’re either happy with what Lemonis brings to the table or you aren’t…. But he’s not going to change

Aug 29, 2004
In general people are who they are and don't change unless something significant happens in their life. Good news for those who love Lemonis.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
He is what he is. He’s going to play certain guys regardless and it will bite us.

Lemonis has shown to let his personal feelings about a player take precedent over the team. Here are a few examples:

1. Hatcher getting the at bats he got when he struggled beyond believe
2. Luke Hancock playing every day for 4 years and playing 1b over a draft pick stunting the growth of younger players when we sucked
3. Lane forsythe- need I say more
4. Turning Landon sims into a starter was a move for Landon not Mississippi state

there are others but I’ll stop there.

Johnny long just finished the worst season ever by a Mississippi state player. Yet he started over half the games. He finished 2 in the sec in passed balls, and I went back 20 years and didn’t see anyone that had caught the amount of games he caught and never threw anyone out. In 150 at bats he got 1 extra base hit, finished with a 180 average and finished the year on an 0 for 23 stretch, yet Lemonis continued to play him.

Lemonis doubled down after the game about our OOC, despite the fact we missed hosting due to our terrible RPI. Saying the way he schedules won’t change.

i say all this to say lemonis is what he is. If he blindly finds ways to play guys everyone knows aren’t best. He puts certain players over the team. He’s already gone on record to say the schedule won’t change despite us not hosting……

if all that is the case our team will never change. All the mistakes. The fundamentals. The bad base running. The little league innings. The pen misusage. The lack of discipline. It’s not going to change. This is who Lemonis is and this is the teams he produces. Not here to try to convince you if you’re happy with it or not…. But based on his comments and track record… he has zero plans to change his ways, so I think after 3 years of having his players in here, we are starting to see what that looks like
Obviously you put a lot of thought into your post, and you make some good points. I think Lem turned Landon into a starter for Landon and our team. His injury was going to happen closing or starting. Our catching woes are easily confirmed with the stats you posted. The loss of Highfill last fall was a huge blow to the team. We were scrounging to find catchers. Johnny, at first, seemed like he might fill the void, but as we got more into the season it looked liked Joe P was poised to take the primary catching duties. Then Joe suffered a quite bad concussion and took a long time to recover. So, Johnny became the man. I am not aware of what happened with Josh Hatcher. He was a great defender but a long hitting slump got into his head apparently. Luke H was good enough to play every day and actually became a pretty good defender at 1B in my opinion. We just need to win those OOC games. Win those this year and we host. I would like to see a stronger OOC schedule becaipuse I would enjoy seeing good teams play us. It is kind of hard to report to The Dude and constantly see us playing these no names.

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and Dawgg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Obviously you put a lot of thought into your post, and you make some good points. I think Lem turned Landon into a starter for Landon and our team. His injury was going to happen closing or starting. Our catching woes are easily confirmed with the stats you posted. The loss of Highfill last fall was a huge blow to the team. We were scrounging to find catchers. Johnny, at first, seemed like he might fill the void, but as we got more into the season it looked liked Joe P was poised to take the primary catching duties. Then Joe suffered a quite bad concussion and took a long time to recover. So, Johnny became the man. I am not aware of what happened with Josh Hatcher. He was a great defender but a long hitting slump got into his head apparently. Luke H was good enough to play every day and actually became a pretty good defender at 1B in my opinion. We just need to win those OOC games. Win those this year and we host. I would like to see a stronger OOC schedule becaipuse I would enjoy seeing good teams play us. It is kind of hard to report to The Dude and constantly see us playing these no names.
Hancock was the one of the worst first baseman in the league the last 2 seasons he played. He was recruited as a catcher and we moved him to keep him in the lineup. Even though we had Hines who should have been playing

Johnny long was the worst player we’ve had in the last 25 years. Lemonis kept starting him. He started him in the biggest game of the season, the last one.

fully disagree on sims.

end of day Lemonis is what he is. He’s not going to change… and if your happy with the results then be happy… but the same bone headed stuff that has been happening will continue to happen because the man in charge isn’t going to change his stripes

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Whatever anyone thinks, the upcoming meeting between Lemonis and our athletic director to discuss the season and what is planned going forward will be the real moment to make or break Lemonis' career. I hope our A.D. grows brains and some balls.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We were screwed at catcher no matter what way you slice it once Highfill was known to be out for the season. Powell wasn’t very good either, Long actually had a better OBP than him. They were more interchangeable than some want to admit, and it was our second game of the day. I get why when that’s probably your weakest position in the lineup you don’t ask the same guy to catch 18 innings in one day.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We were screwed at catcher no matter what way you slice it once Highfill was known to be out for the season. Powell wasn’t very good either, Long actually had a better OBP than him. They were more interchangeable than some want to admit, and it was our second game of the day. I get why when that’s probably your weakest position in the lineup you don’t ask the same guy to catch 18 innings in one day.
Long and Powell weren’t close to the same. Long is the worst player we’ve had stat wise over the last 25 seasons that got the playing time he got.

and in a win or season end game… you play your best 9.

But this is about more than long. Lemonis has continually put players he likes over the team. He’s doubling down on the poor scheduling. He’s not changing. So to expect our bone handed base running, pen mis use, recruiting, lack of fundamentals, lack of discipline team to change… is not being realistic…. This team will be what you’ve seen over the past 3 seasons. If your happy with that, great, but it’s not going to change

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Long and Powell weren’t close to the same. Long is the worst player we’ve had stat wise over the last 25 seasons that got the playing time he got.

and in a win or season end game… you play your best 9.

But this is about more than long. Lemonis has continually put players he likes over the team. He’s doubling down on the poor scheduling. He’s not changing. So to expect our bone handed base running, pen mis use, recruiting, lack of fundamentals, lack of discipline team to change… is not being realistic…. This team will be what you’ve seen over the past 3 seasons. If your happy with that, great, but it’s not going to change
Our scheduling wasn’t good but the fact that we lost some of those games is a bigger deal than us merely scheduling them. Literally just sweep Air Force and Austin Peay and we host comfortably. So no I don’t necessarily think much will change with how we schedule. Hopefully we will be back in an early season tournament of some kind or play one road or neutral site series but that’s about the extent of it, I’d expect.

I can’t question him too much on personnel decisions this year because our depth was horrid. Now obviously that’s a recruiting issue, though.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Our scheduling wasn’t good but the fact that we lost some of those games is a bigger deal than us merely scheduling them. Literally just sweep Air Force and Austin Peay and we host comfortably. So no I don’t necessarily think much will change with how we schedule. Hopefully we will be back in an early season tournament of some kind or play one road or neutral site series but that’s about the extent of it, I’d expect.

I can’t question him too much on personnel decisions this year because our depth was horrid. Now obviously that’s a recruiting issue, though.
I hope with next years roster the schedule is easier otherwise we are looking at 26win season

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login