Looks like 2 more years of divisions in football.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Pete Thamel says Okie & Texas to SEC in 2024 has hit a snag. They’re coming in 2025.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah, I didn't figure there was any way they were coming before the contract date. No way Fox just gets left out in the cold replacing the Red River Shootout and/or Bedlam with UCF vs BYU and Houston vs Cincinnati without some sort of generous compensation.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Makes sense. A lot of cash on the table and a pile of yarn in the form of agreements/contracts to untangle to expedite the jump

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, I didn't figure there was any way they were coming before the contract date. No way Fox just gets left out in the cold replacing the Red River Shootout and/or Bedlam with UCF vs BYU and Houston vs Cincinnati without some sort of generous compensation.
Yeah. Everyone said oh, contracts are made to be broken, they'll find a way to get out earlier, etc. But all it took was one look at the grant of rights provision to know there was no way they were getting out early. This is also the reason no one has raided the ACC. Their grant of rights goes through 2036. The lawyers who drew those clauses up knew what they were doing.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bleh, I don't care about all this conference consolidation. It can happen next year or 2025, who cares.

I just wish they'd hurry up and expand the playoff. The 4-teamer is the worst model ever conceived, as far as fan interest.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah. Everyone said oh, contracts are made to be broken, they'll find a way to get out earlier, etc. But all it took was one look at the grant of rights provision to know there was no way they were getting out early. This is also the reason no one has raided the ACC. Their grant of rights goes through 2036. The lawyers who drew those clauses up knew what they were doing.
Yep. The only caveat I would say potential ACC defectors have (and it's still extremely unlikely) is that ESPN would be unlikely to make waves like Fox did since they'll hold all rights for both SEC and ACC after this year. That being said, I don't know if ESPN suddenly wants to shell out $60 Million a year for the same Clemson/UNC/FSU home games they're getting for $30 Million a year.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
If it were solely up to the conferences, the Big 12 would let them leave early. They don’t want to risk Texas or Oklahoma grabbing the conference champion automatic bid in the first year of the new playoff in 2024.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If it were solely up to the conferences, the Big 12 would let them leave early. They don’t want to risk Texas or Oklahoma grabbing the conference champion automatic bid in the first year of the new playoff in 2024.

Why not? Would the Big 12 get any less money from the arrangement than if it was Kansas State, TCU, etc.?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is setting up for the ultimate MSU luck….we get our asses kicked by Bama for 2 more years, Saban announces retirement before 2025, and we stop playing them every year right before they fall back to earth as a program.

patdog

May 28, 2007
snag is the 8 team playoff, also by chance starting in 2025
I think it's a 12-team playoff. Saw an article at lunch that says OU & TU made an offer to Fox to buy out of the last year of their part of the contract and were rejected.

Reactions: onewoof

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That may be true. The only hold up I think would be the gates for home games. I don't think, for example, TCU, Texas Tech, or Oklahoma State want to replace Texas or OU home games with UCF, BYU, Houston, or Cincinnati before they have to. Like them or hate them, Texas and Oklahoma are good for business.

That being said, taking the bigger cut of the new media rights money earlier would probably outweigh that.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I was looking at some of the details of the Big 12's new media deal and one thing that stuck out to me was the 'pro rata' clause. Basically, with the new deal, they only get a bump in the payout if a Power 5 member defects to the Big 12. This means there will more than likely not be any Mountain West (sorry UNLV) or American (sorry Memphis) members that get picked up unless that changes. Also, from what I'm reading, only ESPN has agreed to the pro rata, while Fox has not. This means that unless Fox gets on board, the Big 12 (at a member level) would potentially lose money by adding Pac-12 defectors, which significantly reduces the odds of the Big 12 expanding at all until the deal is up in 2031.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I think it's a 12-team playoff. Saw an article at lunch that says OU & TU made an offer to Fox to buy out of the last year of their part of the contract and were rejected.
That's the hold up

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login