Looks like Florida St. wants out of the ACC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Supposedly, they think they can buy their way out for $30M per year for 10 years. Not sure how they think they'll be able to do that. The ACC owns their media rights, why would they give that up? Especially knowing ESPN is going to cut their contract if it doesn't include FSU. Of course, ESPN could make it happen, but why would they pay $70M for rights to FSU games when they already have them for $30M. What say the Pack on how this turns out? I think FSU is just stuck for several more years. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: 11thEagleFan

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I think that all of these (FSU/Clemson/Miami/UNC) “wants out” stories are being floated by the institutions themselves as some sort of attempt to pressure ESPN and/or the conference into making concessions. As patdog pointed out, there’s absolutely zero reason for ESPN to negotiate themselves into paying $40 million more for something they already own.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
They're mad they locked themselves into a bad deal, this is just them publicly pouting about it.

The deal they signed into makes them mad because it would be an even more lucrative deal if the Syracuses, Wake Forests, Boston College etc were not in the conference. Apparently FSU and Clemson believe those schools weigh them down money wise because they are not as valuable

Reactions: patdog

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
I think that all of these (FSU/Clemson/Miami/UNC) “wants out” stories are being floated by the institutions themselves as some sort of attempt to pressure ESPN and/or the conference into making concessions. As patdog pointed out, there’s absolutely zero reason for ESPN to negotiate themselves into paying $40 million more for something they already own.
ESPN is already in enough trouble, this won't go well for them.

AnchorState

Jan 21, 2020
The Athletic has several articles on FSU's threats - and all say, unless they know something no one else does, they have ZERO leverage right now. Basically, they think they're Texas, but they're not - and the SEC nor any other conference has any interest in helping them pay their exit fee from the ACC (because they're not worth the investment). Those articles also imply Sankey and the SEC Presidents are pretty content, for the moment, with getting TX and OU on board and leaving things there for the time being. I would think UNC and UVa would make more sense, just to expand the geographic footprint (and upgrade the basketball numbers).

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Someone give me an Executive Summary on exactly what this "Grant of Rights" means and why its such a sticking point. It seems like anything can be bought / negotiated out of for the right amount of money....

patdog

May 28, 2007
Someone give me an Executive Summary on exactly what this "Grant of Rights" means and why its such a sticking point. It seems like anything can be bought / negotiated out of for the right amount of money....
If FSU were to leave the ACC and join the SEC, the ACC would still own FSU's broadcasting rights and their games would be shown under the ACC TV contracts. ACC would be paid for this and FSU would not. Since FSU couldn't participate in the SEC's TV package, their revenue share from the SEC would be $0. As would their media share from the ACC, since they're no longer a member. Of course it could be bought out for the right amount of money. But there's no one I can see who's going to be willing (or able in FSU's case) to pay that money.

Reactions: ChE1997

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Athletic has several articles on FSU's threats - and all say, unless they know something no one else does, they have ZERO leverage right now. Basically, they think they're Texas, but they're not - and the SEC nor any other conference has any interest in helping them pay their exit fee from the ACC (because they're not worth the investment). Those articles also imply Sankey and the SEC Presidents are pretty content, for the moment, with getting TX and OU on board and leaving things there for the time being. I would think UNC and UVa would make more sense, just to expand the geographic footprint (and upgrade the basketball numbers).
Sankey and the SEC would very much like the PAC-9 to somehow find a way to all stay together and put a halt to realignment until we get closer to the expiration of the ACC grant of rights.

Reactions: Dawgg

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Sankey and the SEC would very much like the PAC-9 to somehow find a way to all stay together and put a halt to realignment until we get closer to the expiration of the ACC grant of rights.
This is probably right, but playing devil’s advocate….. SEC is sitting pretty. If PAC falls apart and Big 10 takes 2 or 4 of the Pac teams, if your sec you see your only rival take teams that aren’t transformational and a logistical nightmare. Positions you well when the press for UNC/UVA comes around and you present a contiguous conference of brands, etc.

Reactions: jlove20 and patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Seems to just be their way of getting the word out that they are a hard “yes” vote for dissolution of the ACC.

Other members now know where they stand, and will act accordingly. Either issuing similar statements, or publicly backing the league.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Hopefully, they don't come to the SEC. I know UF and Auburn would object and not vote for it. We already have that state's flagship and majority of alums in the Gators. Just don't need the Seminoles. They might take a look at the Big10 or Big12.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hopefully, they don't come to the SEC. I know UF and Auburn would object and not vote for it. We already have that state's flagship and majority of alums in the Gators. Just don't need the Seminoles. They might take a look at the Big10 or Big12.
This isn't 2013, that model is gone.

The Florida State name has cache. People will tune in and watch them. They are a slam dunk take for us, along with Clemson.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Seems to just be their way of getting the word out that they are a hard “yes” vote for dissolution of the ACC.

Other members now know where they stand, and will act accordingly. Either issuing similar statements, or publicly backing the league.
They'll never get 8 votes to dissolve the ACC, and it's not even clear that if they could that would solve their problem anyway. At best, they'd be in for years of crippling litigation to resolve the issue and maybe get their media rights back (or maybe not). No school can take that risk. UNC AD was pretty clear:

"I don't think it's good for our league for them to be out there barking like that," Cunningham said on WRAL Radio in North Carolina.

"I'd rather see them be a good member of the league, support the league, and if they have to make a decision, then so be it. Pay for the exit fee, wait for your grant of rights that you've given, and then in 2036 when those rights return to you, do whatever you want."

"If they want to leave, then that's going to be their choice," he said. "But there's certain obligations that they do have. We have an exit fee and we have a grant of rights."

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
This isn't 2013, that model is gone.

The Florida State name has cache. People will tune in and watch them. They are a slam dunk take for us, along with Clemson.
I see more FSU logos while traveling than I do Auburn logos. I’m not sure which has a bigger national brand but anecdotal evidence points to Florida State.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I've never seen one single FSU tag or sticker on a car in the Memphis area in the last 20 years. I've seen hundreds of Auburn plates and stickers. Not sure that's a scientific sample, but both of those schools are roughly the same distance from the Memphis metro area. I have seen a few plated/stickered U. of Miami cars though.

Last edited:

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Tom Mars thinks he sees a path. I think they probably have a few ways out but don’t have a landing spot yet. For the SEC to make 18 teams work, we’ll have to have 9 conference games. We’ve already seen that battle play out earlier this year. I think is State and the other likeminded schools holding it up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login