Looks like Freezer has.....

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
announced his starting QB in veteran transfer and 2 year starter at Michigan State, Payton Thorne. I have Zero knowledge of Thorne. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Kind of early to be announcing your starter unless you're like us with a solid starter coming back. Apparently, he beat out Robbie Ashford and it must have been an easy decision. Freezer does know offense pretty well so I guess he has the guy running it he wants.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
From what I remember of the freeze offense, as long as the QB can make the WR screen throw, he should be fine

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
From what I remember of the freeze offense, as long as the QB can make the WR screen throw, he should be fine
He only needs to learn four or five plays. They just run the same things, really fast.

Metcalf and AJ Brown had to be taught how to run routes when they got into the league because all they ran were streaks, digs, and slants in college. And without talent like that at WR, Freeze's offense gets very mediocre, very quickly.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He only needs to learn four or five plays. They just run the same things, really fast.

Metcalf and AJ Brown had to be taught how to run routes when they got into the league because all they ran were streaks, digs, and slants in college. And without talent like that at WR, Freeze's offense gets very mediocre, very quickly.
"Get Open On 2!"

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Metcalf and Brown only played for Freeze for one year - their freshman year.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Thorne had a decent 2021 when defenses were totally focused on stopping Ken Walker. He struggled last year and Michigan State was under .500.

I think he’s average at best.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Thorne had a decent 2021 when defenses were totally focused on stopping Ken Walker. He struggled last year and Michigan State was under .500.

I think he’s average at best.
Average at best is a huge upgrade for Auburn at QB. They were awful last year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My point stands. It was documented.
Not really, because it has nothing to do with Freeze. You're talking about Luke and Longo. If you want to bash Freeze's tutelage of wide receivers, you need to be talking about Treadwell and Moncrief.

As far as number of plays, I don't see why that matters too much. Leach did the same thing. Most of the best college coaches simplify their offenses, and run multiple things out of a select few sets.

NFL offenses are always more complicated than college, in every facet.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I hope he sucks, but he probably won't.
Yeah we all need to come to acceptance, they made the right hire, at least in the short term. I just hope we can somehow manage to go over there and beat them this year.

Anyone claiming Freeze can't coach football, and especially offense, is just a moron. And he'll have players at Auburn.

Long term, just have to hope he doesn't something stupid, which he probably will, or flames out, like most of these resurrected trouble guys that are on round 2 (Bobby Petrino comes to mind).

The good news is, it seems that Saban's Reign at Bama is nearest its end.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Yeah we all need to come to acceptance, they made the right hire, at least in the short term. I just hope we can somehow manage to go over there and beat them this year.

Anyone claiming Freeze can't coach football, and especially offense, is just a moron. And he'll have players at Auburn.

Long term, just have to hope he doesn't something stupid, which he probably will, or flames out, like most of these resurrected trouble guys that are on round 2 (Bobby Petrino comes to mind).

The good news is, it seems that Saban's Reign at Bama is nearest its end.
I don't think the experience has changed Freeze very much, if any at all. He will do something stupid, it just won't be as stupid as calling hookers on an employer's phone that is subject to the FOIA. The question will be will his antics be dumb enough to get him canned at the Auburn. If he wins, that will be a pretty high bar. If he loses, he better be on the look out for some kind of set up....

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I don't think the experience has changed Freeze very much, if any at all. He will do something stupid, it just won't be as stupid as calling hookers on an employer's phone that is subject to the FOIA. The question will be will his antics be dumb enough to get him canned at the Auburn. If he wins, that will be a pretty high bar. If he loses, he better be on the look out for some kind of set up....
That’s what I’ve been trying to tell an Auburn associate of mine. With their history of throwing coaches under the bus it could get ugly quickly because he will absolutely give them enough dirt to bury him.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Not really, because it has nothing to do with Freeze. You're talking about Luke and Longo. If you want to bash Freeze's tutelage of wide receivers, you need to be talking about Treadwell and Moncrief.

As far as number of plays, I don't see why that matters too much. Leach did the same thing. Most of the best college coaches simplify their offenses, and run multiple things out of a select few sets.

NFL offenses are always more complicated than college, in every facet.
Right it was longo. Freeze was a lot bigger on the misdirection and speed.

I prefer offenses to have complexities but also be agressive and know what it wants to do. Moorhead was too complex and not aggressive and not decisive.
I like freezes offense honestly. Just like I like Gus's offense and Mullens. It's more rhythmic and plays off of itself with misdirection options play action. Barbay's offense is pretty complex and creative.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login