Looks like Lemonhead forgot to get pitching from the portal

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Sunday's starter was gotten from the portal. If VMI whoops up on him, I'll be concerned.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Sunday's starter was gotten from the portal. If VMI whoops up on him, I'll be concerned.
Not sure how you could watch today’s game and not be concerned. We went through 5 pitchers today where most wouldn’t have sniffed the mound on any other SEC team. It’s beyond concerning.

Reactions: 8dog

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
By all means, let's all panic after 2 games. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but jeez...2 games in? Do we really know anything about this team yet?

Reactions: NTDawg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Does nobody pitch anymore? It's like how college basketball players can't shoot. College pitchers can't pitch. They just throw it. Is it the same in High School now?

Reactions: olblue

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
By all means, let's all panic after 2 games. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but jeez...2 games in? Do we really know anything about this team yet?
Yes. When you blow a 9 run lead to a garbage team who has 7 hits on the day, it tells you a lot.
When your pitching staff can’t throw strikes and you have Will Rogers behind the plate it is very concerning.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
We better hope our starting pitching transfer from Memphis State can throw strikes today and be consistent this season.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Same here about pitching. It disturbs me that our pitchers don’t throw strikes. Example-KC Hunt threw 61 pitches; only 21 were strikes. You can’t blame this many misses on the umpires tight plate. VMI, as smart as Vandy boys, simply started to ‘take’ and they got on base. It was good coaching on their part. It was the opposite for us. That is what concerns me. VMI recognized a glaring hole-catching and pitching, and exploited our weakness.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I agree with you but there is certainly cause for concern. Today will either become the norm or an exception. Given last year we couldn’t throw strikes, it’s certainly reasonable to be worried. One thing I do know for sure, Hancock needs to be a DH. Under no circumstances should a college catcher allow 11 stolen bases.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
During fall practice and practice leading up to the season word was the pitching was not very good at all. So far they’ve proven that to be true.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
During fall practice and practice leading up to the season word was the pitching was not very good at all. So far they’ve proven that to be true.
Yeah… I think it’s becoming clear that when evaluating pitchers we value arm talent (velocity or big movement) over control. I don’t know if the coaches think they can fix it but they would probably do to recruit guys that can throw strikes. Nothing wrong with taking a few guys like cerentola and seeing if it pans out but seems like we got a pitching staff full of them.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Pathetic! Here we go again!
The record at Indiana is the predictor for me. 35 or so wins. Mediocre. Selmon will have to be sat down and have it explained to him just how critical it is to get the next hire right. No more swings and misses on head coach targets.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
The record at Indiana is the predictor for me. 35 or so wins. Mediocre. Selmon will have to be sat down and have it explained to him just how critical it is to get the next hire right. No more swings and misses on head coach targets.
Cohen was the reason we missed on the big targets last time. Polk was wrong about Raffo, but he was dead right about Cohen

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Why would we be picked last in the SEC West by the "experts" when we have the best fans, the best atmosphere and the best stadium.***

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
I agree with you but there is certainly cause for concern. Today will either become the norm or an exception. Given last year we couldn’t throw strikes, it’s certainly reasonable to be worried. One thing I do know for sure, Hancock needs to be a DH. Under no circumstances should a college catcher allow 11 stolen bases.
I didn't mean for my post to sound Pollyanna-ish. I have concerns - I just am not one to panic and flush the season and the team after the first weekend (no matter what happens today).

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Sad Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Does nobody pitch anymore? It's like how college basketball players can't shoot. College pitchers can't pitch. They just throw it. Is it the same in High School now?
I think so. They are all obsessed with velo now. It's like they never learned to actually pitch.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

It’s not just two games. It’s our staff doing the same thing they did all last year and in the scrimmages. Against one of the worst teams we will play. It’s the continuation of a pattern. Don’t forget we finished a CWS with just 4 pitchers bc 2 of our early season starters completely went mental. Something is bad wrong.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Went all in on Skenes with no backup plan.

There were not a lot of backup plans out there. And the portal is new so the mere fact we needed it so badly is just another huge question mark for this staff.

patdog

May 28, 2007
13 runs on 7 hits and 12 walks doesn't look good at all.
As bad as that looks, I think 11 stolen bases is even worse. The more you look at all rise stats, the worse they look. We need to make some changes right now.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

He was there 4 years and took them to 3 NCAA tourneys and 40 wins his last year. Far from terrible at a school definitely not historically known for baseball.

I won't judge him for that, but he's got a serious job in front of him this season.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm as nervous about today's game as a long tailed cat in a room full of occupied rockin' chairs. Someone tell me why I shouldn't be.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login