Looks like the game #11 cupcake is going away in the SEC

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I've seen a few SEC schedules leak and both had SEC match-ups the week before rivalry week, so it looks like the Saban Cupcake game is going away. Y'all remember when we had to play Alabama then Arkansas before the Egg Bowl?

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's been that way for years. Not everyone gets a game 11 cupcake. This year you had GA-TN, FL-Mizzou & KY-SC that weekend. Last year, it was Miss-Ark, GA-KY, TN-SC, and FL-Vandy (ok, FL did get a cupcake).

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is not going to be good for us long-term. I'm guessing we keep the P5 OOC mandate, eventually add a 9th conference game, and also eventually get rid of the FCS game. Eek.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is not going to be good for us long-term. I'm guessing we keep the P5 OOC mandate, eventually add a 9th conference game, and also eventually get rid of the FCS game. Eek.
I think you're right. But the counter balance to that is we'll see Vandy, South Carolina and Missouri more often and less of Bama, LSU, Auburn and Texas A&M. Overall, it will be a little tougher, but not much difference.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I've seen a few SEC schedules leak and both had SEC match-ups the week before rivalry week, so it looks like the Saban Cupcake game is going away. Y'all remember when we had to play Alabama then Arkansas before the Egg Bowl?
Not everyone got a week 11 cupcake. We were granted with that because the egg bowl was on Thursday.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not everyone got a week 11 cupcake. We were granted with that because the egg bowl was on Thursday.
And that's really the only way that makes sense. No reason for all SEC teams to be playing each other the next to last week of the season. Also no reason to have a disproportionate amount of cupcakes. UGA, UK, Florida, and USCe should have cupcakes that week because they have OOC rivalry week games. Everybody else should probably play in conference unless they have a thursday night game.

Maybe you have to do something special with Vandy and UT since whoever plays Vandy the week before rivalry week is generally going to have an advantage compared to somebody playing another SEC school.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login