Looks like the Liberty Bowl.....

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
that we all have likely attended at one time or another is undergoing a major facelift. This is the home field side. The big press box and now appears to be the west side stands are taking the first hit. Will be interesting to see how it all ends up in a year or so.......

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Wonder if the whole stadium is coming down? That would be pretty epic. I've seen a lot of games in that stadium. The way the stadium was designed had pretty good views from most seats. They're supposed to build a soccer stadium on the Fairgrounds for the 901 FC professional team also. A lot of the blighted areas surrounding the east area of the fairgrounds is being bought up and revitalized. So they're investing a lot of money in the Fairgrounds sports complexes.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
They are going for rename it the place where the Mississippi state band spelled out croom stadium

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
West side of Davis Wade stadium. However &tate never will..... doesn't have the private and corporate financial backing Memphis does.
Already planned to add suites and eliminate the press box. Just pushed back due to the ruling on revenue sharing.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
....because they don't have the money to do both.
Nobody is building that didn't already have it all locked in. Alabama has put off building a new basketball facility, TN has delayed building, OM has done the same. It's all over college athletics. Building costs shot up and then the revenue sharing ruling. It's called being smart.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Nobody is building that didn't already have it all locked in. Alabama has put off building a new basketball facility,
They are spending $57 million on a practice facility announced June 6, is that what you're referring to or was there supposed to be a new arena?

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I truly don’t understand this. You knock out the seats people will actually pay to sit in and replace them with…a flat tailgate area??

Surely the end zones would have been a smarter play for this nonsense.
I'm with you on this, what a great idea, take out the best seats and replace it with a slab.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I'm with you on this, what a great idea, take out the best seats and replace it with a slab.
I get it, but shirley they did the math/surveyed demand. That plaza is ground level, and I'll bet will be made a grand entrance. Plus that's the away side in the renderings.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
They are spending $57 million on a practice facility announced June 6, is that what you're referring to or was there supposed to be a new arena?
They were scheduled to build a whole new arena and backed off of it. Coleman is bad and they wanted to build a new one but backed off.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I bet there are some architect firms in Kansas City freaking out over collegiate sports projects being summarily canceled.

A bunch of them have been riding that gravy train for a looong time.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I get it, but shirley they did the math/surveyed demand. That plaza is ground level, and I'll bet will be made a grand entrance. Plus that's the away side in the renderings.
Never seen anything remotely like this. Will be interesting to watch and see how their fans respond to it.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Just because it's Monday and Monday I procrastinate......

Latest article I saw on Tennessee said they upped their budget to $387 for the total renovation project of Neyland and are in the phase 1 of 3. No mention of anything being on hold.

Speaking of Alabama, so what on their plans for Coleman coliseum..... I haven't been there since 2003.... but rode over there this past weekend. Wow. Everything from Bryant Denny to the student union to their dorms is first class. Lots of money on that campus.

But comparing UT and Bama really isn't fair. However I envy Memphis St being able to upgrade their stadium. Whatever our reasons for not doing so.... it seems to be the same mantra in Starkville as always...do without today to save for tomorrow.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Memphis State should have built a 30,000 seat on campus stadium years ago.
Tend to agree. They are clinging to a lost hope and a relic of the old era (Liberty Bowl). I'd have cancelled that long ago, they are going along the wayside. Should have invested in the University, especially with the playoff coming.

The major universities already have these monstrosities of football stadiums, so that's where first round games will be. Then the big bowl games will be concentrated in the cities like Atlanta and Dallas, who have exponential funds.

Memphis should have concentrated on their prize jewel, the Grizz. And then obviously the soccer route is a good idea. But middling and minor bowl games?....man, that's a dead end street.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login